Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvets and pillows

(30 Posts)
mollie Tue 16-Jan-18 09:27:00

I read that duvets and pillows should be washed every 3-6 months - do you? It seems like a major faff tbh.

lemongrove Tue 16-Jan-18 09:30:18

Once a year for duvets, not at all for pillows as they are feather filled, so we change them for new ones when we need to.

GrandmaMoira Tue 16-Jan-18 09:37:03

Only single duvets will fit in a standard washing machine and I find pillows go all wrong after washing unless you have a tumble drier, which I don't. So, no I don't wash them regularly.

Christinefrance Tue 16-Jan-18 10:30:35

No I have never been successful in washing pillows either. I buy them when they are on special offer and renew when necessary. Duvets only washed annually unless necessary more often.

kittylester Tue 16-Jan-18 11:22:44

Duvets when I swap them seasonally. Unless a child or cat has an incident on them in between. Pillows, as everyone else says - binned eventually!

aggie Tue 16-Jan-18 11:33:04

I have to wash pillows often , sometimes they go a funny shape but I have managed to reshape them . It is very wastefull and bad for the environment to chuck them ! OH s duvet is in the washing machine nearly everh week ...... sigh

Floradora9 Tue 16-Jan-18 11:39:59

If you have a large freezer you can wrap a pillow in a bin bag and put it in the freezer for 24 hours ( if you have room ) . This kills off the bugs .

M0nica Tue 16-Jan-18 11:46:57

I always have an under pillow case, which can be washed, boiled and bleached. It extends pillow life.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jan-18 14:31:09

No I don’t wash them I renew pillows if they get stained and duvets get dry cleaned every few years It’s only me so I m not causing them to get dirty beneath the covers which are washed regularly

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 14:35:03

I used to take my duvet to the launderette (how do you spell that, now?!) once a year, and spend about as much washing and drying it as it costs to buy a new one. I cottoned on after about ten years. blush

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 14:36:21

And I have padded pillow protectors, in case a drool.

Bathsheba Tue 16-Jan-18 14:51:26

Exactly MissA! I won't pay out for dry cleaning, it seems pointless, and I can't fit my duvet in my washer. It's a problem isn't it hmm

I replace pillows every year or so, and don't consider this particularly wasteful because I always pass the old ones to the local cats and dogs home for bedding. I use pillow covers under the pillowslips, and they're not feather pillows, so I'm sure they're fine, and the home are always grateful for them.

loopyloo Tue 16-Jan-18 14:57:45

When I buy a pillow I put the date on it with marker pen on the label. I do try washing them sometimes tacking them to hold the foam in place. Now, I think feathers will be better and then given to cats home or in compost bin.

mollie Tue 16-Jan-18 16:24:33

Phew, that’s good. Not just me then. I’m hopeless with washing pillows so replace when necessary, same with the duvet. Sorry to ask but when I read that bit of ‘advice’ I thought this is one more thing that I didn’t know and have been doing wrong!

cavewoman Tue 16-Jan-18 16:37:11

As Bathsheba said, rescue dogs/cats homes are usually very grateful for any bedding. Then you can buy new with an environmentally clear conscience smile

Greyduster Tue 16-Jan-18 17:01:00

I also replace duvets and pillows. The only pillow I do wash is mine, which is a Dunlopillo one and washes well and doesn’t lose its shape, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth and I think it will be out the door before too much longer. I wish I had a pound for every pillow I have ever bought that manufacturers have made exaggerated claims for in terms of ergonomic and health properties, and some of which are still cluttering up my cupboards never to be used again as they are useless! Note to self: get rid!

mollie Tue 16-Jan-18 17:28:24

Oh I agree, finding good pillows is hard!!!

nettyandmasey Tue 16-Jan-18 17:28:48

I have two quilts one for summer so I wash them after change them over. Not pillows though.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 16-Jan-18 17:42:33

I have matress protectors, pillow protectors and plain duvet covers, then bedsheets, pillowcases and coloured/patterned duvet covers. Duvets and pillow go outside 'naked' on first suitable spring day and regularly until wet Autumn, occasional airing late in year depending on weather. My machine would not like heavy load, take duvets to laundry when special offer, is two for one or second half price. Pillows binned as necessary but protectors washed regularly certainly lengthen pillow life. AC go off with anything they can so sometimes get to replace pillows sooner than usual. Take my mattresses outside to air when a very good spell of weather, also vacuum them with a pair of tights over the vacuum head(has it got a name?) when I change the protectors. I don't like replacing items if I can prolong life by care. Also clear washing machine and tumble drier filters regularly. Loathe dusting. John Lewis sale for pillows.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 16-Jan-18 17:43:36

Had a relative who was a professional housekeeper who taught me lots of things.

Breda Tue 16-Jan-18 17:46:47

I don’t get on with duvets at all so use normal sheets and blankets which can be regularly washed and as we use feather pillows we make sure that they are replaced at appropriate intervals. I have duvets for guest beds though.

Bathsheba Tue 16-Jan-18 18:31:23

"loopyloo* our cats and dogs home won't take feather pillows, because of the potential mess if dogs take to chewing them shock

Bathsheba Tue 16-Jan-18 18:37:27

Oh dear I can't remember when I last vacuumed the mattress blush. As for taking it outside to air, well there's absolutely zero chance of that - it's so damn heavy, even between us my DH and I struggle to lift it to turn...

Tegan2 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:35:27

I started buying zipped cotton duvet covers for new duvets, but Dunelm Mill have stopped selling them. Have seen them on other sites but they cost almost as much as a new duvet. Wish I'd known about mattress/duvet/pillow protectors years ago.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Jan-18 14:09:32

Lived in Sweden many years ago before duvets arrived here. We use to hang a naked duvet out in the fresh air about once a month. I still do it but sometimes just hang it out the window. Pillows I just replace.