Gransnet forums

House and home

I'd like to get a shower/bath -

(15 Posts)
Elrel Sat 20-Jan-18 14:44:39

I think a shower/bath would be an improvement to my small bathroom. At present I have a traditional bath with, at the end, a wall mounted shower. My wall is unsuitable for a grab rail and I never feel entirely safe.
The solution would appear to be a shower/bath with integral seat. If you have one please would you share your comments. Thank you!

tanith Sat 20-Jan-18 14:57:44

We had the same set up but after a lot of research we went for a walk in shower . If you are asking about one of those bath/shower with side door they don't get good reviews as they take ages to fill and empty so you end up cold and wet while it empties. Our walk in shower takes up the same space as the old bath and has no doors to leak it can also have a seat fitted should we need it in the future.

Elrel Sat 20-Jan-18 15:29:13

I liked the look (online) of one with no door, just moulded to have an integral seat at the opposite end to the shower. Victorian Plumbing of Formby have an especially attractive looking one, curved rather than with right angled corners.

Newquay Sat 20-Jan-18 22:49:04

Have just had same conversation with DH while visiting DD1. I'm sure she thinks we'll go on hopping in and out of the bath forever. Got DH to admit to a fall trying to get out of bath recently-mercifully no harm done. Desperately trying to get him to agree to walk in shower instead of bath but it's an uphill battle at the mo.

tanith Sat 20-Jan-18 22:59:12

Newquay DH loved a bath but now we have the walkin shower it's so much better and less worry. He's even grown to love his shower.

OldMeg Sat 20-Jan-18 23:18:01

Had one of those with the sides that open and a integral seat when I lived in France, though I didn’t need it. It took up less room than a conventional bath and I never found a problem with it getting cold while emptying, Tanith perhaps because I didn’t sit in it long enough to get cold and it emptied quickly.

Often thought they would be a good idea when I can no longer climb in and out of our bath. We already have an ensuite shower.

joewayne755 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:53:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tiggypiro Tue 13-Mar-18 12:37:21

Reported

starbird Tue 13-Mar-18 12:43:34

joewayne755 blatant advertizing. You dont neen to change towels when you buy a new shower!

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:55:26

We are on holiday at the moment, here we have a bathroom and a shower room with a walk in shower. Bath remains unused, shower is used all the time, we have been talking about replacing our bath with a shower at home for a while now. I think that this has finally convinced us, if we need to sell we will just re install a bath.

nitin24 Tue 17-Apr-18 15:26:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

humptydumpty Tue 17-Apr-18 15:37:24

nitin I just clicked on your link and can't see anything about baths?

Charleygirl Tue 17-Apr-18 16:03:41

Many years ago I had mega problems getting in and out of the bath and living on my own it was a disaster waiting to happen.

I love my shower but instead of having a seat fitted to the wall I bought a separate stool which I use daily. Friends have discovered that with time the fitted seat can become loose.

Panache Tue 17-Apr-18 16:59:51

We would never again opt for a bath since I had a nasty fall landing directly on my coccyx, which then in turn required assistance to get me out of said bath,plus a trip to A & E...........fortunately the damage was not as bad as it might have been.
Though my pride was badly dented and a great fear of the danger lurking around baths followed
However it has been a shower,complete with grab rails and non slip mat since,working well,probably saving on water consumption and certainly restoring my faith in bathing.

silverlining48 Tue 17-Apr-18 17:13:45

Thought I was stuck in the bath the other day, gave me quite a fright. Not keen on showers but.....