Gransnet forums

House and home

Alternative fuels for logburners anybody?

(34 Posts)
gardenoma Sun 28-Jan-18 09:35:19

Somebody told me about new and rather innovative alternatives to logs, Coffee logs made from spent coffee grounds and Brackettes, made from wood bracken. Both sound really intriguing but not found many reviews yet.
Has anybody on here used them?

Orange123 Sat 03-Feb-18 18:44:32

Never heard of them here (U.S) but the coffee logs sound amazing! If they actually smell like coffee, count me it. haha

I noticed in Ireland many people burn smokeless coal which produces a super hot fire. Can't use them here but maybe where you live, gardenoma?

Luckygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 18:59:19

I am on the waiting list to receive some coffee logs when they are back in stock. Worth a try I think - I have used the compressed wood shaving logs and they burn fine, but less heat than the ones we use here, which are simple kiln dried logs. I have tried several different logs - the seasoned ones don't give enough heat. These kiln dried are more expensive - but not in the long run. They light easily, chuck out massive amounts of heat (even when draught is on low) and last ages. I had been trying to economise, but anything else is a false economy. And they smell lovely too.

joannapiano Sat 03-Feb-18 19:06:34

We use compressed wood shaving logs as well, and find they give out enough heat. DH collects large sacks of them in our car, as they are produced locally. Our chimney sweep recommended them originally.

hildajenniJ Sat 03-Feb-18 22:22:44

To supplement our log supply we have been burning peat chips. They give off a lovely smell, that is, if you like the smell of peat?. They produce plenty of heat too. I haven't seen coffee logs, they sound intriguing.

Luckygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 23:07:00

Apparently they are just compressed coffee grounds which are collect from various well-known coffee houses. Sounds like a good idea - if they burn OK.

Chewbacca Sat 03-Feb-18 23:27:41

Like Luckygirl I burn kiln dried logs and think they're very good. Hardly any smoke, very little ash and a huge amount of heat thrown out from only a few logs. More expensive than seasoned logs but, having experienced the horror of having wood wasps hatching out in my living room last year, I prefer to pay more and be certain that all harmful beasties have been eradicated before logs come into the house.

nanaK54 Sun 04-Feb-18 00:22:37

I saw these 'coffee logs' on sale in Dobbies, I didn't pay much attention to them perhaps I should have......

SueDonim Sun 04-Feb-18 00:42:33

We burn oil seed rape logs, made from the residue of pressing for oil. www.olaoils.co.uk/olalogs.html

BBbevan Sun 04-Feb-18 06:51:33

Just ordered some coffee logs. We like to try new things, so looking forward to delivery

Luckygirl Sun 04-Feb-18 11:23:41

BBbevan - where did you order them from please? I tried in one place and was told they were out of stock.

Daisy131 Sun 04-Feb-18 11:31:02

I burn coffee logs regularly in my woodburner, mixing them with regular logs. They burn really well, seeming to be hotter than ordinary wood and you do get a pleasant (though not very strong) aroma of coffee. The only downside is that they are expensive, which is why I mix them with my regular logs.

BBbevan Sun 04-Feb-18 12:32:04

*Luckygirl I ordered them from Amazon

merlotgran Sun 04-Feb-18 13:09:43

I've just looked at coffee logs on Amazon.

I'm still reeling with shock at the price shock

I'll stick to seasoned logs. We pay £110 for a delivered load which lasts us around two months so we need two loads per year. We use the WFA to pay for them.

Luckygirl Sun 04-Feb-18 13:21:34

WFA - Wheelchair Football Association ??????!!!!

Our seasoned logs cost about £130 for 1.2 cubic metres - but they give out so much heat you can burn much less. And they are reliable - I have found the seasoned ones are variable, and some give out very little heat.

merlotgran Sun 04-Feb-18 13:28:24

Winter Fuel Allowance grin

BBbevan Sun 04-Feb-18 15:09:22

We have been very lucky, as when we moved into this house we were left a good deal of logs. We have also had to cut down two large trees. We think we have probably got enough wood for three more winters.

BBbevan Tue 06-Feb-18 15:18:29

Coffee logs delivered today. I have put one seasoned log and one coffee log on the Fire. Half an hour later the seasoned log is very nearly ash. The coffee log is still holding its shape and burning well. Seems promising but we shall see

Luckygirl Tue 06-Feb-18 16:11:20

Just ordered a buy one bag, get the other half price from amazon - at least I can give them a go.

merlotgran Tue 06-Feb-18 16:35:16

Can you smell them, BBevan?

BBbevan Tue 06-Feb-18 16:41:32

Yes you can merlotgran. Not like roasting coffee, but a very subtle smell that is not wood

Fennel Wed 07-Feb-18 15:56:56

Wood pellets is another alternative. www.forestfuels.co.uk/wood-fuel-price-comparison/
We use logs, 60€ per cubic metre. Wood is comparatively cheap here.

Luckygirl Wed 07-Feb-18 16:02:52

Just put the first two coffee logs in the woodburner. Not a lot of heat output yet, but the temp outside has just plummeted.

farview Thu 08-Feb-18 14:24:56

Morrison's have been selling the coffee logs!! Prefer Kiln dried though with a little smokeless fuel added also

SueDonim Sun 18-Feb-18 22:01:04

I bought some coffee logs from Dobbies last week. I love the smell! It's a bit peaty but not coffee-ish. The logs were £5.99, I think.