Gransnet forums

House and home

House odour

(62 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 06-Feb-18 23:23:49

I came home in November from a 4 week holiday abroad to find a terrible odour in my spare bedroom. At first I thought it was a gas leak and called the emergency service who said it wasn’t a gas leak. I’m quite worried over this and there’s no way I would let anyone sleep in that room until the source of the smell has been identified and fixed. The trouble is it comes and goes. We’re having a plumber come in this week here’s hoping he can sort this problem. Anyone with an idea of what this could be.

Mapleleaf Tue 03-Apr-18 16:05:52

Glad to hear that,*Elizabeth1*. You must be relieved.?

JackyB Sat 07-Apr-18 06:57:50

Now that was a nice thread to read. Coherent posts giving constructive suggestions. I am pleased for Elizabeth that the problem was solved and funnily enough the cause wasn't any that others had suggested.

I would have had the pest control in after the first page, but you have now saved that money and may even be better off if they are offering compensation.

Greyduster Sat 07-Apr-18 07:15:51

Paint! Who would have thunk it? I wish mine had been paint instead of a dead rat! Glad you got it sorted Elizabeth1!

Marydoll Sat 07-Apr-18 08:30:35

That's great news Elizabeth, You can go on your next holiday with peace of mind.
Good for the paint company to admit it was their fault.

OldMeg Sat 07-Apr-18 09:28:20

A resolution! Excellent ??

FarNorth Wed 18-Apr-18 16:40:11

Lucky you spotted that in the paper, Elizabeth1.

I once used some low-VOC / ecological paint that had a really weird smell for ages, but it did disappear eventually.

lemongrove Wed 18-Apr-18 16:45:40

Well I never!

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:59:36

What a surprise.
And interesting as DH and I have done a lot of indoor emulsion painting over the past year. All of it Valspar as they can mix such wonderful colours to perfection.
Happy to report we didn't have any problem.

Elizabeth1 Fri 20-Apr-18 19:01:14

Coolgran I think it was perhaps late 2017 when Valspar started experiencing this problem

ElaineI Fri 20-Apr-18 19:15:39

Elizabeth1, my son's fiancee"s mother has just had the same problem. She was painting her bedroom with valspar paint from B&Q and it was horrible. She has had a refund and money off the new paint. Glad you discovered the reason for the smell.

Elegran Fri 20-Apr-18 20:03:35

Alexa light fitting used to be made of bakelite, an early form of plastic. When it got old and warmed up it stank.