Gransnet forums

House and home

Interflora a rip off

(28 Posts)
Floradora9 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:21:26

I received a bunch of flowers on Valentine's day which looked very nice. However when I started to arrange them I realised the ratio of flowers to foliage was fifty fifty. I thought about how much this had cost the sender ,who was some distance away , and thought it was poor value. I contacted the flowers shop which delivered them and felt sorry for the poor woman I spoke to. She told me the only complaints she ever gets is about Interflora. The sender paid over forty pounds: she got just over twenty and at the same time pays a monthly fee to Interflora. She really wanted to send me another lot of flowers but I would not let her as I fully understood the situation. The moral is if you want to send flowers to someone contact a local florist to the recipient and do it direct .
Contrast this with two bunch of 99p flowers I bought in Tesco 10 days ago they are still going strong,

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:31:41

You’re absolutely right Floradora, easy to google a local florist and organise it yourself. TBH I’m surprised that people use Interflora any more.

J52 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:32:50

Totally agree, if there’s no local florist, I’ve always found M&S or Waitrose delivered flowers, good value and long lasting.

Oldwoman70 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:35:04

I also agree, I used to send flowers to my mother in Australia using Interflora and was always unhappy with the photos I received from her when she thanked me. I looked up a local florist online, who deliver on time and on the correct day and the arrangements are lovely - it isn't any cheaper but I do feel I am getting better value for money

eazybee Mon 19-Feb-18 11:36:43

Next flowers are very good; my children have sent them over the years and they frequently come with a vase. The arrangement I received in January lasted for nine days,(despite central heating) and the flower buds unfolded during that time.

kittylester Mon 19-Feb-18 11:38:50

But please don't buy flowers from a supermarket if you can avoid. Support you local florist or flower shop. They can't buy on the same scale as the supermarkets and will always offer help and advice.

Coolgran65 Mon 19-Feb-18 11:47:15

My retired florist friend refused to do Interflora, she felt that what she could provide on the sum allowed by Interflora would damage her reputation.

I ring a local florist 200 miles distant, and 5,000 miles distant to have flowers delivered without any problem. Pay by credit card, Bob's your uncle !!
And full value flowers delivered.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 19-Feb-18 14:09:08

Coolgran I always use interflora to send flowers to Ireland - should I google a nearby florist instead then and can I pay in euros on a credit card?

gillybob Mon 19-Feb-18 14:14:10

I agree with you Floradora9 we often used to send flowers via Interflora until we saw with our own eyes a “bouquet” for which we had paid quite a lot of money. It was nothing short of disgraceful . We complained but were fobbed off with the various “cuts” of the price that had to be paid out along the way before the cost of the actual flowers themselves . Wouldn’t use them now .

Suki70 Mon 19-Feb-18 14:21:15

I have used two other companies - Serenata and Bunches and have received flowers from them too. Bouquets have always been very fresh, long lasting and competitively priced.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 19-Feb-18 14:27:02

I agree with Kitty, always support your local shops where you can.

humptydumpty Mon 19-Feb-18 14:29:47

Another lovely source of flowers is Scilly Flowers.

Teetime Mon 19-Feb-18 14:29:55

I agree I always contact the local florist and deal direct if this cant be done then Waitrose or Next M & S have got a bit mean with their flowers.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 19-Feb-18 15:15:08

I've been looking for Irish florists online and really the pictured arrangements are much the same as interforas and prices too, especially when you add on 8 euro delivery and I suppose credit card charges for exchange rates! What to do, what to do?!

BBbevan Mon 19-Feb-18 15:17:48

* humptydumpty* I love Scilly flowers , to give and receive. Excellent value .

Cold Mon 19-Feb-18 15:22:48

Valentines day is always a rip off

Squiffy Mon 19-Feb-18 15:34:48

A few years ago my DS sent me an Interflora arrangement. It was outrageous in its sparseness (not sure that’s a word), so I rang the florist. It turned out that she was so embarrassed by what I’flora instructed that she had added extra flowers! That still meant that there were only six flowers!!

I complained directly to I’flora and they sent a refund voucher. I used the voucher to purchase a hamper. One jar of pickle was open, another was broken. Another complaint to I’flora and another refund voucher. I didn’t bother trying ‘third time lucky’.

Icyalittle Mon 19-Feb-18 15:44:36

Another vote here for Scilly Flowers I also think Bloom & Wild are excellent. They post flat packs that fit through the letterbox!

glammanana Mon 19-Feb-18 15:59:36

I always use local florists now after appalling deliveries from Interflora, I also never order flowers on a Monday even from a local florist as their blooms have been sitting in containers from possibly the Friday before.

janeainsworth Mon 19-Feb-18 18:34:13

I like Direct2florist. You put in the postcode of where you want flowers delivered to and all the local florists come up.
Always been very good value. It tells you how much the florist gets and how much the service charge is.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Feb-18 18:42:19

I don’t know if it’s still going as I haven’t sent flowers for a long time but I used in the past Jersey flowers and they were good
Yes Interflora is a rip off my daughter in Ireland has used my local florist a couple of times and I ve had lovely bouquets

Farmor15 Mon 19-Feb-18 19:38:44

Hooty - I’m in Ireland and find local florists if I want to send flowers, avoiding interflora as I had similar bad experience years ago. I phone and talk to florist, don’t order online. You should be able to pay with credit card with little extra charge.
I sent flowers to DiL in Sweden when 1st grandchild was born. I remembered seeing a florist in the village when visiting and was able to find phone number online. Fortunately florist spoke English and I was able to order a nice arrangement, paying by credit card, even tho it’s a different currency.

Coolgran65 Mon 19-Feb-18 20:52:04

Hooty that's exactly what I do. I'm actually in N.I. and send to England and to the USA. I googled for florists in the area and checked the reviews. Then telephoned each florist to place the order and paid by Mastercard.
On each first order I asked the recipient to let me see them as I wanted to check that there was no rip off. They were beautiful and just as I had requested. i.e. pinks and purples etc ... or otherwise.

Blinko Mon 19-Feb-18 21:24:33

When I send flowers to my aged godmother in Vancouver, I google a local florist. That way I know they're fresh and good to go.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 20-Feb-18 10:26:11

Thanks Coolgran and Farmor. I'll try that next time!