Gransnet forums

House and home

Watch your step in the snow.

(80 Posts)
Liz08 Tue 27-Feb-18 14:34:21

I heard that paramedics summoned to help 'ladies of a certain age' when they have fallen in the snow use the call sign "Nan Down" ......... smile

seacliff Sat 03-Mar-18 14:44:09

We got out today for the first time since Tuesday, wonderful !!! Just went to the farm shop for a snack and coffee, and a few veg and eggs and milk. The main roads are fine. The 2 miles from ours are quite thick snow still. The worst part is a narrow steep hill, ok in second gear but I dread meeting someone coming other way.

I have ordered my Yaktrax so we will probably have a heat wave now smile

I hope it stays a bit warmer and the horrid stuff melts away. Roll on Spring.

Tegan2 Sat 03-Mar-18 13:38:23

Have been so careful but went to DS's yesterday; they're having an extension built and the builder had put the old garage door across the dug out footings. Of course, I stepped out onto it and nearly went flying into the ditch! Thankfully, just managed to stay upright.

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 03-Mar-18 12:15:52

Bonnieblooming, we removed our decking for that reason! Horrid and dangerous, back to lovely shingle, I can now get outside during the winter without going flying.

jimmyRFU Sat 03-Mar-18 11:45:25

Doesnt help why you are walking along a dropped kerb. I gracefully went yesterday. More like gently kneeling down. Hubby just stood there. I got my revenge for being seen by having a go at a neighbour who was giving the V sign to two ladies who were walking their dogs, one went on his grass. They were impressed with my having a go at him.

pollyperkins Fri 02-Mar-18 11:22:12

Yep -same here. The problem isnt a lot of snowfall but the wind which is blowing snow off the fields across t5ge roads to make big drifts.

KatyK Thu 01-Mar-18 14:10:08

It's horrendous here in the West Mids today. It is only snowing lightly and there isn't much on the ground but I have never seen wind like it. It is blowing the snow on the ground up in the air in great wafts and the noise is terrific. We have to go out later!

BonnieBlooming Thu 01-Mar-18 12:25:02

Last time I was Nan down was on our decking which is right outside our back door. Lethal stuff if there is ice and snow. I was not badly hurt but had just had my hair done and fell flat on my back!

Madmartha Thu 01-Mar-18 10:01:33

To walk safely on ice, google ‘walk like a penguin’, it’s good advice!

gillybob Thu 01-Mar-18 07:43:37

It took my heavily pregnant DD hours to get home from work last night . We were so worried about her. All buses off.

I wish some employers would be a little more considerate .

Marmight Thu 01-Mar-18 06:37:16

No snow here on Wilts/Gloucs border yet but promised it later today. At 'home' in Fife my village is cut off and snow is knee high. It's heart warming to read on the village FB page of the help everyone is giving each other and the concern for our local 'man of the road' who lives in a makeshift tent in the woods. ❤

callgirl1 Wed 28-Feb-18 23:38:41

Charleygirl, Mia doesn`t believe me when I tell her it`s not nice outside, so she goes out, then within 5 minutes she` back on the doorstep wanting in again. This happens several times a day, talk about seeing`s believing!

Newnannie Wed 28-Feb-18 22:05:37

Sorry, meant of course that I can just imagine the paramedics leaping into action. We have a fair amount of snow here in Kent, and sadly I still have to get into work☹️

Newnannie Wed 28-Feb-18 22:03:31

I love the phrase “Nan Down” !! Can just the paramedics leaping into action!! To all Nans who are down though, get well soon

seacliff Wed 28-Feb-18 21:46:32

I an going to order the yaxtrax pro. A girl at work goes running on them early mornings (mad!). They are good on icy pavements apparently. They have a strap across the top too. You have to measure carefully round the shoes you'll be wearing them on. Since I fell and broke my wrist badly, I am a total wuss in icy conditions.

seacliff Wed 28-Feb-18 21:42:08

My son is a paramedic, and they all use "nan down" as reference for any older person having a fall, often just in the home, or from their bed.

Saggi Wed 28-Feb-18 21:10:20

You worn football boots BlueBelle???

stevej4491 Wed 28-Feb-18 20:19:15

I relish the thought of not being able to get to the shops for a while,I've enough stuff in the larder in tins and packets and a freezer full too,to keep me going for about six weeks. I wont drive in snow and I'm not able to walk far.Love Nan down,it happens to me on a regular,not very funny when it does happen though.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Feb-18 19:17:09

A lot of snow here, and as none of the roads have been gritted, the main road and all sides roads in our village are treacherous. Already been 3 serious road accidents so I'm not looking forward to going into work in the morning.

HurdyGurdy Wed 28-Feb-18 19:03:15

I know there are areas of the country that have been very badly hit, and there may be more coming our way (Bedfordshire) but for now, it's less The Beast from the East, and more Hysteria from Siberia.

Hardly anything here so far

starlily106 Wed 28-Feb-18 17:40:57

My son left the house at 8.40 last night for work and the journey which takes 12 minutes usually took 90 minutes. Then before he finished at 6 am, they noticed that the roof of the building was starting to buckle. Today he got a message to say that the place was closed until further notice. Don't know if the roof has caved in, or if its just because of the weather.

LuckyFour Wed 28-Feb-18 16:50:05

Nothing in this part of Devon yet. Snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow though. I'll try not to be a nan down!

hulahoop Wed 28-Feb-18 16:11:47

It's been snowing here in west Yorks most of day we've had a lot of blizzards as well our area never gets mentioned on weather updates family who have been to work say our area is worst we have had GC today little one crawled to patio door and was just fascinated a joy to see ?☃?

NannaM Wed 28-Feb-18 15:47:50

Love that "NanDown"! I was NanDown a few years ago - broken left arm and fractured spine. Not funny. Now I have YakTrax (available on Amazon or direct from Company) and a screw-on spiked device on the end of my walking stick. I feel so confident walking out, even when it's icy. Can't recommend YakTrax enough!

Smithy Wed 28-Feb-18 14:54:34

That's the best way to see the snow - taking a photo of your garden from the window. Always looks lovely covered in snow.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 28-Feb-18 14:53:37

I pull a pair of laddered knee-length nylons over my boots or a pair of old socks. The cloth gives a better grip on ice or compacted snow. Watch out for man-hole covers they become very slippery too.