Gransnet forums

House and home

Tips for sorting out home problems

(39 Posts)
Franbern Wed 28-Feb-18 11:17:37

Yesterday morning, when I had to go out very early for the day, my bathroom sink plug hole became totally blocked. Could do nothing until I got home early evening. Tried using a plunger and a thin snaky type of wire - to no avail. Really blocked. Then used a whole bottle of commercial bathroom sink unblocker. No difference. Thought I would have to get a plumber, but then tried old fashioned idea of soda crystals with vinegar and then boiling water. One hour later it was totally clear, running beautifully. Poured a couple more kettle fulls of boiling water down there and all is very well.
Wonder if there are any other similar tips for sorting out these annoying problems at home?

OldMeg Wed 28-Feb-18 11:20:46

Well done you ??

tanith Wed 28-Feb-18 12:51:29

Well done, maybe it was just frozen and the hot water did the trick.

Franbern Wed 28-Feb-18 14:29:49

No, was not frozen, that was the first thing I had tried - just boiling water. When I used the plunger, some horrible black and nasties came up. Suppose just a build-up of soap and toothpaste, etc.

Teetime Wed 28-Feb-18 14:35:01

Some times the old ways are the best although someone did tell me you can unblock a loo by pouring a whole bottle of coke down it. My mother used to clean the teapot with a steradent tablet - never drank tea in her house - mind you didn't get offered often.

judypark Wed 28-Feb-18 15:34:26

Working with the District Nurses we always carried a bottle of Coke wit us as it was brilliant for unblocking catheter tubes. Goodness knows what it does for you teeth and insides.

lilypollen Wed 28-Feb-18 18:48:14

Water was draining very slowly from the basin in which I wash my hair. Unscrewed the drainage pipe and it was clogged with gunge and hair, yuck.

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 28-Feb-18 18:51:39

, Lillypollen ! I use my trusty plunger..... yuk, yuk, yuk

Horatia Thu 01-Mar-18 10:24:57

Soda Crystals are on my shopping list thank you Franbern. I'll get some just as soon as I can get to the shop as we're snowed in here, brrr.

luzdoh Thu 01-Mar-18 10:59:24

Great! Well done! Unblocking my bath plug hole is a regular for me as I have long hair and wash it with the shower over the bath. I do resent the high price of the unblocking stuff. Like Horatia (great name), I will be off to buy soda crystals once the snow allows. If ever.... it's beginning to look permanent and unrelenting. Do you get kind of scared in the snow? I've had it since childhood and a friend in College had it too.

Dianic Thu 01-Mar-18 11:08:18

I agree with OP... always have soda crystals and white vinegar at home. I use white vinegar instead of fabric softener as it softens but doesn't leave a residue on clothes... And soda crystals are brilliant stain removers too! I recently washed 2 sets of vertical blinds in the washing machine with about half a cup of detergent and same of soda crystals. Worked a treat - they look like new!!
@luzdoh I don't like the snow either - especially when it hides compacted snow/ice... and yes, it's spookily quiet in the snow isn't it? Like being in a Nordic Noir murder series! (just sayin') wink

sarahellenwhitney Thu 01-Mar-18 11:26:55

They are also great for removing greasy food stuck to Pyrex dishes without the use of scouring pads, even if they are synthetic and not the wire ones. Stand overnight, or longer for burnt on food, in a solution of crystals and boiling water. They come up like new. Another tip came from a gardener and that is to sprinkle soda crystals on moss growing on concrete or slate paving..Sprinkle with water and leave until it turns brown then give a good spray with water and brush off.Far cheaper than commercial products.

Hm999 Thu 01-Mar-18 11:30:37

Removing tannin from inside mugs or teapot, a bit of washing powder in water and leave to soak.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 01-Mar-18 11:32:52

Washing soda is still the best possible thing for cleaning a saucepan that has boiled dry!

Hand soap works on squeaking door hinges if you don't have sewing machine oil on hand.

Wood ash applied with a damp piece of scrunched up newspaper is usually quite effective for cleaning soot off the glass in the door of a wood-burning stove, but you do need to clean it regularly.

A handful of salt added to washing water for outdoor steps in frosty weather prevents them becoming slippery.

GabriellaG Thu 01-Mar-18 11:47:32

All my plug-holes have filter guards bought at the hardware store. Why not do the sensible thing and don't let the gunge go down in the first place?

SusieM01 Thu 01-Mar-18 11:59:52

We have a sink with a very tight U bend because it's in a confined space. It used to block quite often and was difficult to clear because the gunk just settles in the bottom of the U bend until it blocks. Recently the plumber told me to just use soda crystals on a regular basis to keep to keep it clear. About once a month I pour hot water down then a jug full of soda crystals in hot water and leave over night, more hot water in the morning. Not had a problem since.

Auntieflo Thu 01-Mar-18 12:00:18

Dianic, when you washed your vertical blinds, did you put them into a pillow case first? I have seen a Youtube? video that does that, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet, as am scared if ruining them.

luzdoh Thu 01-Mar-18 12:04:40

judypark does that mean I can unblock myself with a whole bottle of coke, and stop this reliance on senna?

luzdoh Thu 01-Mar-18 12:07:09

GabriellaG I have got these too but some gunge still goes down the bath plug hole. The little catcher doesn't fit it so snugly.

Kim19 Thu 01-Mar-18 12:10:48

Love these helpful sort of threads. Thanks to all contributors. I've duly noted the ones I didn't know that might come in useful sometime. All safely stored in the 'notes' app on this pad which I initially thought I had no use for. How wrong was I. Again!

oldgaijin Thu 01-Mar-18 13:07:37

luzdoh...only if it contains copious quantities of rum!

HootyMcOwlface Thu 01-Mar-18 13:18:49

Auntyflo - I washed mine last year in a pillowcase in the washing machine.

Overthehills Thu 01-Mar-18 13:29:33

Thankyou for all these tips - just going to text DH, who is in town, to get some soda crystals - I have a pan that always seems to burn however careful I am. confused

yogagran Thu 01-Mar-18 13:43:16

I've used soda crystals in the past but never tried mixing it with vinegar. Could someone please advise me on the quantities & which one goes into the drain first?

chelseababy Thu 01-Mar-18 13:47:54

Vinegar on newspaper is excellent for cleaning the door of the wood burner.