Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving Home?

(29 Posts)
GrandmaJen Sun 04-Mar-18 09:24:22

Hi, I wondered if anyone has taken the plunge and moved to the coast, to a place whee you know no one? My family live overseas and I would like to move somewhere quiet and beautiful. Any thoughts/tips
thank you

seacliff Sun 04-Mar-18 09:41:49

I have considered it, but not done it (yet). If you have loads of good friends where you currently live, I'd think carefully before leaving.

But it sounds appealing. I'd look up the u3a in the town you are considering, to see how much is going on locally for our age group. Although you say peaceful, I'd go for a small town, it would be good to join some groups and make friends. Check any theatres, cinemas.

I'd also check out nearest hospitals not too far away!

I would love to live by the coast where I could walk along the front everyday, I love the sea.

Id also see where you can get to from there on public transport, especially buses, as you might not be able to drive at some point. It would be good to get to some bigger livelier places sometimes.

GrandmaJen Sun 04-Mar-18 09:59:45

Thank you, they are all important considerations, I don't have anything particular keeping me here, and have been looking at groups like WI and craft groups in the area I am considering. Have spoken to my children (overseas) who say they would visit no matter where in the county I am. As I am getting older I really want to slow down a bit and have some 'me' time does that make sense?

Welshwife Sun 04-Mar-18 10:34:48

I would look at transport to and from the most likely airports/ports/ stations your family would be using to visit you. Very complicated. time consuming, and costly journeys are off putting for everyone - and an easy route would be beneficial to you when visiting them.

merlotgran Sun 04-Mar-18 10:39:36

Check out the nearest hospital. I often think I've got 'one more move left in me' but having easy access to a good hospital has to be high on the list of priorities.

GrandmaJen Sun 04-Mar-18 10:45:04

I completely agree, but I currently live in London, so they always land at a regional airport as it is less expensive and then have a two/three hour journey once here.

seacliff Sun 04-Mar-18 10:55:57

Another thought, if you have a particular place in mind. Book a self catering cottage for at least 2 weeks now, in the off season. Just walk around and get to know the place. Maybe go to a couple of groups, explain your plans to move there. Moving from London to the coast would appeal to me, as long as it has good transport links. Good luck. See it as a new adventure!

GrandmaJen Sun 04-Mar-18 11:24:58

What a fabulous idea!

Welshwife Sun 04-Mar-18 11:31:12

South coast would give you Gatwick which flies to regional airports.

Nonnie Sun 04-Mar-18 11:32:46

Consider the countryside too as it is often better served by the NHS and nearer to airports. We moved to the country when we retired and love it, lovely people and lots to do.

I suspect there are seaside places which are full of old people, do you want that? I prefer a mixed age group.

I strongly suggest that you rent for 6 months in your chosen area before committing to buying (if that is your plan). It could stop you making an expensive mistake.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Gagagran Sun 04-Mar-18 11:36:43

I have just pm'd you GrandmaJen

goldengirl Sun 04-Mar-18 11:41:01

I would love to move but the considerations mentioned by other posters are ones I've also thought about and decided I should stay put. In spite of the fact I don't particularly like where I live at least it is well served by transport links and a hospital - and a supermarket. I agree with Nonnie that if you're keen to try a different location, renting is a very good idea.

seacliff Sun 04-Mar-18 12:16:44

I have wondered about Sussex if I could afford it. Mild climate, quite accessible, lots of coastal towns and inland lovely countryside. I like Deal in Kent too, lots going on there. Some places are so dead in winter, and personally I'd avoid too exposed cold coasts.

Happychops Sun 04-Mar-18 20:19:58

I would advise that you do your homework first,check that the area you like has everything you want and need. Check out group activities,this helps to make new friends. Check transport,can you get to the doctors shops etc. If after this you are certain. Then go for it,you only live once.We did this and I have made so many lovely new friends through joining in. I did this on my own as DH works away from home. I was so scared at first as I am not one for group activities,but once I got going the fear left me, and I love my new life. I would take the advise of several posts as it is good advise, weigh the pros and cons.Have a good life.?

GrandmaJen Sun 04-Mar-18 20:44:11

Happychops, thank you, it is great to hear it has worked for you. I am planning to go down to the south coast for a week to have a look around. I think I will get a better feel for things that way rather than using Google maps.

NannyG4 Sat 10-Mar-18 09:05:31

Very very interested in everyone's views/comments...we are just about to begin the process of selling up here in the North (lived here almost 30 years!) and move to the Kent Weald to be nearer to our family...daughter, hubby and two grandchildren, son, daughter in law and two children. It will be marvellous to be so much nearer to them but at the same time, if I'm honest I'm scared of being lonely. Have started researching different activities etc. Am I being a whimp....???
This is my very first post on Gransnet....felt a bit nervous exposing myself?

Nonnie Sat 10-Mar-18 10:06:35

NannyG4 Son'e feel exposed, you will find all sorts of advice and comment on here, mostly kind but there is always one or two not so kind. Just ignore them and stick with it and you will find lots of support when you need it.

My suggestion is always the same, before taking the plunge rent for 6 months in your chosen new home. Presumably when you stay with family in Kent your time is wrapped up with them. It may well be different if you live there independently. Please don't burn your bridges until you are sure it is right for you.

Some of us have moved enough times to know it works for us but others may find it very different,

If you do move you will be very surprised at the people who want to stay in touch and the ones you thought would, who don't.

NannyG4 Sat 10-Mar-18 11:55:53

Thankyou so much Nonnie...good advice...in fact I think that is what we may well do...rent for six months to find our feet. I will certainly keep looking on Gransnet for advice and comments. And of course to meet some lovely grans!!

lucyinthesky Sat 10-Mar-18 14:12:59

Hi - this is just what I'm thinking of doing - I want to release money to my two daughters and the only way I can do this is buy selling my 2 bed flat in London and moving out. As I go to France a lot where my partner lives I was thinking of Folkestone, near Ashford for Eurostar. Any tips from anyone who lives there or nearby greatly appreciated!

NannyG4 Sat 10-Mar-18 14:44:11

This sounds like a plan for you, .you would be ideally p!aced if you live near Ashford. I understand the service is very efficient. Its something we've thought about if we move to the Kent area....popping over to France......may be quicker and less stressful than us travelling back north to visit friends if we do move. I believe also a good and efficient service from Ashford into London so you would be able to pop back to London to visit friends etc. Our son lives near the Olympic Park and the train passes through Stratford International if we wished to visit via train. Keep us posted on your plans.

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 14:47:11

Please don’t forget to check out Broadband speeds and whether or not you have mobile phone reception, we have to go to the pub to get any reception.
Not as much fun as you’d think....

lucyinthesky Sat 10-Mar-18 15:31:15

Thanks NannyG4 - very early thoughts and I have to sell my London flat first :-(

Oopsadaisy12 - I agree Broadband speeds and mobile reception are very important - where do you live that they are so poor?

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 16:50:51

Oxfordshire! Ok, it’s 4 miles to the shops and a bus service, but it’s probably because we are in a valley.

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 10-Mar-18 16:51:21

Broadband is good as we have recently had Infinity connected, yaaay.

Kupari45 Sat 10-Mar-18 23:12:03

Hello GrandmaJen
Just seen your post. We moved to a village on the North East Coast a few weeks ago. We love our small bungalow, and enjoy walks on the beach most days. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. We knew no one here when we first came, but quickly got to know people.
We stayed in a rented cottage for two weeks last summer here, did lots of research, and decided the village ticked all the boxes.
Good luck, I hope you find somewhere you can be happy.