Gransnet forums

House and home

What do you consider to be a 'Decent Bottle of Wine' ?

(48 Posts)
Liz08 Thu 08-Mar-18 08:58:54

An acquaintance of mine will soon be doing me a great favour - something that would cost a few hundred pounds if I had to pay.

I asked her partner how I could repay her (she's quite wealthy). He just said a 'decent bottle of wine' would be enough. (I forgot to ask white or red so I might get one of each).

I'm not very clued up when it comes to anything other than Aldi's finest - maybe The Co Op on special occasions.....

Anyone suggestions would be much appreciated. wine

Nonnie Thu 08-Mar-18 13:51:39

No idea but if you get it professionally wrapped into aproper gift it will show that you went to extra trouble.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Mar-18 14:49:57

Champagne or Chateau-neuf-du-Pape (but not one from Lidl or Aldi - we think they're fine but we gave one to an 'friend' and he sneered at it shock).

A Nyetimber classic sparkling wine could be a good idea - their wines have beaten traditional French champagnes in tests.
Australian wines from the Margaret River region can be very good too, a bit more pricey than usual.
Or New Zealand - Cloudy Bay

patriciageegee Thu 08-Mar-18 16:17:46

Liz 08 as Doversole says Meursault is divine - who wouldn't like that as a gift - and a good Sancerre or Pouilly Fume are really nice too and not quite as hard on the pocket! Brunello di Montalcino or Amarone are fabulous Italian reds with a bit of style around the £20 mark - all great as a thoughtful gift. Personally, I think Champagne is a bit tricky as there can be some right turkeys even at the £30-40 mark. Taittinger is my go to especially if there's a good offer on. Cin cin!

Nannarose Thu 08-Mar-18 17:03:57

Oh Jalima, I expect he's no longer a 'friend'?How rude!
I wouldn't go for Champagne, as it can be very variable, and not necessarily indicated by price.
In order I would (as suggested by various):
Ask the partner
Go to an independent wine shop (ours is great and MUCH better value than any of the supermarkets including the discounters)
A case from Laithwaites if that's not too much (check their offers)
Ask at Majestic

I think the advice available at supermarkets can be good, but is variable. And so much of the advice above depends on individual taste.

gillybob Thu 08-Mar-18 17:11:38

I quite like Aldi’s wine. Haven’t tried Lidl’s .
My 2 current favourites are Head Honcho merlot from Morrisons £5.50 ( when on offer ) or 19 Crimes from Asda . Back up to full price of £9.98 so only for a special occasion . The label is interactive and comes to life via your phone .

Day6 Thu 08-Mar-18 17:33:11

OH enjoys his wines but we all have different tastes/palates and ones he enjoys can seem very dry and acidic to me. We opened a Chablis we were given for Christmas last week and it was so sour it could have stripped the enamel from my teeth. He enjoyed it!

I prefer white wine. It sounds as if your friend in saying a 'good wine' would expect you to look for maybe a bottle costing more than a fiver? All I know is, I took Oz Clarke's advice many years ago. He said "You cannot go wrong with a bottle of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc" and he was right!

I am sure some might sneer at new world wines - those grown outside what used to be the traditional wine growing areas, but for me, taste is everything and I am a convert! Oh look - this from the Majestic site.

"Chilean wines are now among the most popular of all the world - and justifiably so, since top quality is available across the price range."

I'd be very tempted to buy a few bottles and do a taste test at home. Hic..... wine wine wine

Good luck!

gillybob Thu 08-Mar-18 17:35:03

Blind tests proved that Aldi’s wines ipmup there with the best !

Patsy70 Thu 08-Mar-18 17:36:01

It's personal taste, but I would also suggest Majestic. They are most helpful and do not push you to spend more than you specify. I would pay about £20 each for a bottle of white & red, plus a hand tied bouquet of flowers. Who wouldn't be delighted?

varian Thu 08-Mar-18 18:06:11

When "The Times" tested champagnes, they rated Lidl's champagne as better than Waitrose or M&S. If your friend is seriously rich, she might not shop in Lidl's and so wouldn't know where you'd bought it.

But having said that I spotted a titled lady, probably one of the richest people I've ever met, in Lidl's only the other day.

Liz08 Thu 08-Mar-18 18:41:08

Thanks so much for all the brilliant ideas. I quite agree that we can be fooled by the notion that higher prices mean better wine which is why it was good to get expert advice.

I've made my decision and its going to be .......
Oh no, there goes the door bell, I'll finish this later grin

harrigran Thu 08-Mar-18 19:00:52

I think you can't go wrong with a good Burgundy, a nice Nuit - St Georges can be had from about £50.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:11:09

The Black Stump from Laithwaites is a very nice red

Oh Jalima, I expect he's no longer a 'friend'?How rude!
You've guessed it (but not because of just that!)

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Mar-18 19:13:05

Yes, ask first because you could buy a couple of bottles of really expensive Sav Blanc and find that they only drink red or vice versa, or dislike champagne (I have indeed heard that some people don't like it!)

paddyann Thu 08-Mar-18 22:42:12

you can buy some really nice vintage wines online ,I got some 40 year old Italian reds for my Son in laws 40th birthday .Prices start around £50 just google vintage wines

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:12:23

We've got a couple of 'vintage' home-made wines in the rack, I think they may be about 20 years old. I daren't drink them.

Marmight Thu 08-Mar-18 23:21:02

How about something different - a good British wine? Try googling Bolney Estate.

Skweek1 Sun 11-Mar-18 17:48:51

For us it's Barolo. Normally supermarkets have their wine on sale far too young. For a "special" bottle of best quality red, normally won't buy anything less than 4-5 years old and happy to pay up to £25. Our nearest wine store is in Manchester, 15 miles away, so we rarely buy the quality we would like. I worked for a South African wine importer and we had huge disagreements with the SA boss because he would not listen to our recommendations

ladyjane10 Thu 15-Mar-18 22:05:38

Yes, with two good steaks Mmmmmmmm

Mapleleaf Fri 16-Mar-18 12:38:15

Have you decided, Liz08 , or are you more confused than ever?!??
Do let us know how you got on. ?

Liz08 Fri 16-Mar-18 18:01:25

You're right, Mapleleaf, I am confused confused
I appreciate all the wonderful suggestions but have finally decided to (drum roll)
............... ask her partner!
Then I'll choose a brand from one of the many wines mentioned.

Incidentally, as I type this I'm sipping a lovely Shiraz called Andrew Peace, £5.39 from the Co op,(well the sun is over the yardarm) but like most people I am fooled by price when giving presents and don't want people to think I'm mean.
Thanks to all for the great advice.
Cheers wine (here's a glass for you Maple wine)

Mapleleaf Fri 16-Mar-18 19:02:19

That sounds a good plan, Liz08.
Good luck and cheers! ?

Lovetopaint037 Sat 28-Apr-18 08:03:14

A box of good wines (mixed) sounds better than a single bottle. Perhaps Waitrose could help you put them together!
If the favour is a big one it would look more appreciated than a single bottle. Also, people often suggest a bottle of wine as they don’t want to sound over demanding.