Gransnet forums

House and home

Buying a New Build Home

(34 Posts)
rizlett Mon 12-Mar-18 13:22:30

Good Luck to your daughter Springy - fingers crossed!

SpringyChicken Mon 12-Mar-18 09:34:23

She shouldn’t need to go down that route, Oopsdaisy. Her problem is that she wants a bigger, better house than she can afford. She can afford a house, just not the one she wants. We’ve decided on a plan after much deliberation. We’re talking to her in her lunchtime today and advising her to put in an offer on the house which is on hold for her, 15% below the advertised price, by phone (easier than face to face). If they say no, she has to lower her sights.
Thank you all for your advice, I’ll keep you posted.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:53:15

Has she thought of Shared Ownership? My DD and her family bought a flat in London with this scheme I think they bought 40% and then bought more as they could afford it, it got them onto the property ladder and they are now in a home of their own.having said that it was about 20 years ago.....

SpringyChicken Mon 12-Mar-18 06:41:34

She was initially lured in by the Help to Buy scheme, Kitty but we’ve discouraged her as it could turn into a financial nightmare. So many drawbacks to it.

kittylester Mon 12-Mar-18 06:29:13

Has she investigated Help to Buy?

Missfoodlove Mon 12-Mar-18 00:10:37

If your daughter has the funds approved and can proceed quickly then it is likely she may success negotiate a discount.
We negotiated a 20% discount on a new build some years ago albeit in a falling market.
She has nothing to lose and it’s not going to offend anyone so do it and good luck. ?

M0nica Sun 11-Mar-18 22:48:05

The market is slowing down, builders should be ready to do a deal just to get the houses sold.

If they say the houses are going like hot cakes, do not believe them. www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-housing-market-weakness-2018-latest-chartered-surveyors-rics-selling-homes-a8199151.html

Eglantine21 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:43:00

Oh yes. Got 10% off and negotiated wardrobes, flooring, dishwasher and landscaped garden. But I was in a good position to complete quickly.
It will depend how sales are going.
It's always worth a try.

SpringyChicken Sun 11-Mar-18 21:36:18

My daughter wants to buy a new build house but can't afford the asking price. After researching, I see that new build prices aren't set in stone and it's worth putting in an offer. Has anyone done this? Any tips and your experiences would be most appreciated.