Gransnet forums

House and home

Orange fruit stain - white tee shirt

(12 Posts)
sandelf Sat 17-Mar-18 08:04:08

Oh oh I know I should have done something about this months ago. BUT I have a pale orange mark on a lovely white/blue Tee. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get it out?

Oopsadaisy12 Sat 17-Mar-18 08:08:26

I use Bold and usually dollop a blob onto the mark and leave it for 10 minutes and the stain disappears, might be worth a try.

gillybob Sat 17-Mar-18 08:53:12

I get a lot of stains sent to me by my very generous DiL and I swear by Vanish Gold or Platinum. I have a permanent supply in hand . What I would do is to make up a small bowl of hot water with a scoop of vanish and plunge the stained part into the liquid making sure it is covered. Leave it for an hour or two (at most) then check. If it has started to fade but not totally gone, make up a fresh solution and repeat. It has never failed for me.

Oh btw there are 2 different types of vanish powder one for whites and one for colours. If there is a hint of colour don’t use the one for whites as it has a bleaching agent in it. Good luck.

annsixty Sat 17-Mar-18 08:58:58

Additionally there is nothing better for food based stains then fresh air and sunlight, sadly not much in evidence at this time of year.
My GD's clothes used to frequently have orange tomato based blobs on them when she was first started on solids, washing didn't remove them but a couple of hours on the line, in the sun would work like magic.

Baggs Sat 17-Mar-18 09:02:41

Fairy liquid rubbed in before washing is worth a go. Also, a hot water program on your machine. Chuck the teeshirt in with bedding or towels at 90°.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 09:05:35

I get the machine ready, with powder and a white wash already loaded, then drip a bit of neat bleach on the stain.
Quickly put the item into the wash, and Bob's your uncle!

annodomini Sat 17-Mar-18 10:02:18

I use a Vanish bar (looks like a bar of soap) and rub it into the stain, leave it for an hour or so and then wash normally. It's usually effective.

MawBroon Sat 17-Mar-18 10:15:37

ACE stain remover in a big green bottle. Biological and full of horrid enzymes but works
Alternatively if it is pure cotton and can take a hot wash Waitrose powder stain remover for whites. Might bleach the blue though hmm

sandelf Sat 17-Mar-18 10:33:13

Thanks to everyone - I'll do em all (well, except the sunlight thing...)

midgey Sat 17-Mar-18 11:56:51

You could do the frost thing..just Peg it out and let it freeze. I think the weather forecast says it might be a bit chilly this weekend!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 05-Apr-18 17:52:23

I use ordinary washing up liquid. Rub it into the stain and leave the tee-shirt until the stain is completely dry, then wash it on the cycle you usually use.

I have removed all kinds of fruit stains and even engine grease in this way.

sandelf Thu 05-Apr-18 19:48:22

Interesting Grandetante, I'd almost consigned it to the 'for cleaning in' dept - but I'll try this - must be the cleanest shirt in Christendom by now smile.