Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvet cover

(32 Posts)
Marian1412 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:42:44

I want to buy a white duvet cover with a good cotton content and ideally no ironing! Can anyone advise please.

Cherrytree59 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:02:16

Kelly Hoppen.
QVC (shopping channel)

In the January sales I bought a good hotel quality white king size cotton quilt cover from Home Sense. (Tkmaxx family)
It required ironing after removing from the package.

I have not used the cover as yet so jury is out how much ironing it will require.

A polyester cotton mix would probably require less ironing than pure cotton.

SpringyChicken Tue 20-Mar-18 21:53:52

I have pure cotton white covers, high thread count - they always need ironing.

grandma60 Tue 20-Mar-18 21:59:00

I have lovely thick white high thread Egyptian cotton duvet covers with matching pillowcases from Wilko of all places, but they do need ironing.

Marian1412 Tue 20-Mar-18 22:03:00

Thank you all!
Looks like it’s back to the ironing board.

Nanabelle Tue 20-Mar-18 22:26:08

I iron our cotton ones - but the pleasure of getting into a bed with freshly ironed cotton covers is well worth it!

Culag Tue 20-Mar-18 22:34:11

I have a cotton seersucker one from John Lewis that doesn’t need ironing if I am careful how I dry it. I’m not sure whether JL still stock it though.

Humbertbear Wed 21-Mar-18 08:05:05

I don’t understand why anyone wants a white duvet cover and life is definitely too short to iron one!

Charleygirl Wed 21-Mar-18 08:07:34

My duvet covers are poly/cotton. I never iron them and after a night's sleep any creases have vanished.

kittylester Wed 21-Mar-18 08:17:23

We have cream cotton ones from JL which do need ironing. However, I fold them into four and just iron the top and bottom sides. After one night's sleep they look as though they have been slept in any way!

midgey Wed 21-Mar-18 09:21:38

Marks and Spencer have lots.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Mar-18 09:26:00

I don’t iron duvet covers I just don’t see the point in ironing bedding it never looks creased after it’s spread over the duvet and I use fitted sheets so the pull brings out any creases as Humberbear says too much else to do

Teetime Wed 21-Mar-18 09:36:47

John Lewis and Dorma at Dunelm Mill.

Blinko Wed 21-Mar-18 10:06:45

Marks and Spencer have lots and are probably selling them as the latest must have frock.....grin

sodapop Wed 21-Mar-18 11:20:55

The White Company have lovely ones and their service is excellent. Not sure about non iron though.
I still iron bedding, can't help myself .

goldengirl Wed 21-Mar-18 12:09:57

I bought one from Soak & Sleep. It has ties instead of poppers or buttons and I find it easier to pull off and on. It's cotton but I don't iron it - waste of time in my view as I've got a bedspread half way up it anyway.

Bathsheba Wed 21-Mar-18 13:29:38

I have Dunelm's 100% Egyptian cotton bedding and never iron it. I remove it from the washing machine the instant the programme finishes, and peg it out carefully, smoothing down any visible creases. If it's not the weather for outdoor drying I either fold it smoothly and evenly and wait for the next door or I fold it smoothly and evenly and hang it over a clothes horse in the spare room.
It always looks absolutely fine and anyway, after sleeping in it once all the effort of ironing it would be totally lost!

Marian1412 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:01:42

Thanks guys
I will investigate M&S Dunelm and JL

Bathsheba Fri 23-Mar-18 14:39:46

I meant, of course, that I wait for the next day, not next door grin

Gerispringer Fri 23-Mar-18 14:48:05

Don’t get polycotton- polyester is sweaty and horrible and contributes to destroying the oceans. 100% cotton much cooler and feels luxurious. I don’t iron sheets but do iron the thick cotton duvet covers I’ve got from John Lewis. Funnily enough the cheaper thinner cotton from Ikea which I’ve got in the spare room doesn’t need ironing.

Eloethan Fri 23-Mar-18 19:17:27

A while back I got a white 100% duvet cover (subtle striped effect) from Asda. It was very reasonably priced, washes up nicely and looks fine. I do iron it but I think a lot of people would say I'm being over-particular.

Ilovecheese Fri 23-Mar-18 21:35:03

I have white cotton duvet covers, and I iron them. It's not that life is too short to spend ironing, it is that life it too short to spend time doing unecessary things if you don't enjoy doing them.
I find ironing quite relaxing, and a good excuse to watch a bit of TV in the daytime, so don't feel that I am wasting my time.

morethan2 Fri 23-Mar-18 22:41:59

Sorry I don’t have the answer. But oh the joy of a high count soft well worn ironed fresh Egyptian cotton bedding.. sheer bliss. I’m hoping this is the last week of warm flannelette bedding. Then I can root out my white cotton sheets, ironings a pain but so worth it.

mayracarlson11 Fri 30-Mar-18 08:31:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Linenchick68 Sun 15-Apr-18 14:42:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.