Gransnet forums

House and home

Does soft water help eczema?

(2 Posts)
dirgni Fri 30-Mar-18 19:30:57

I suffer from eczema and read recently that if you live in a hard water area,which I do, then a water softener helps. Does anyone have experience of this and if so which water softener is the best?

vampirequeen Sat 31-Mar-18 08:52:07

I have eczema but don't know about soft water helping. I was advised not to shower every day and, when I do, to make sure the water is cool. So most days I top and tail instead and shower a couple of times a week so that I can wash my hair. When I shower I use gunge that the doctor gives me. It's a thick gloopy cream that you slap on all over your body then rinse of in the shower. I have to admit it does leave the skin feeling better. When it's really bad I use the same gunge as a night time moisturiser. It leaves the skin feeling a bit sticky but is ok if you're going to bed. I used to use Polytar when my head became too itchy but you can't get it anymore so I have to buy the more expensive coal tar shampoos that are in the supermarkets. Coal tar shampoo is incredibly soothing when your scalp is driving you insane. If your eczema is really bad ask your doctor for Fexofenadine.