Gransnet forums

House and home

Parking nightmare.

(83 Posts)
driverann Sun 01-Apr-18 10:03:27

Friends of ours have moved out of their house into a caravan on a holiday park where they can live for 11 and half months of the year, the main reason they give is the total lack of parking spaces in their road at weekends and any evening after 6 pm. In their caravan that has all mod cons they also have the luxury of two parking spaces. I am envious of them. Is parking a nightmare where you live.

Chewbacca Sun 01-Apr-18 10:14:27

Yes! I live on a road with about 30 terraced cottages, none of which have any parking facilities. Most of the houses have 2 cars, ergo there will never be enough spaces for all who need them. But to make matters worse, some people just cannot judge the space they leave between their car and the one in front/behind and they leave huge gaps. Others can't park very well and so leave one wheel on the pavement and the front or back end sticking out in the road, causing traffic problems. All of this is compounded when some neighbours bring their works huge transit vans home for the weekend and take up 3 spaces.

Drives me nuts.

Floradora9 Sun 01-Apr-18 10:16:19

It is getting worse and worse . There are many houses near us with three cars as adult children still live at home .

Charleygirl Sun 01-Apr-18 10:17:23

Yes, to the extent that the bin men have been unable at times to empty our bins.

Double yellow lines were painted at the entrance to our mews and a few yards back thus shifting the parking problem to outside our houses. Sometimes I have a mega problem getting to my own car.

It has reached a stage where we are going to ask the council to paint double yellow lines outside our houses to leave those areas free. People from a nearby road think that they can park anywhere here, including our allocated and visitors car park spaces.

Humbertbear Sun 01-Apr-18 10:20:03

Yes. We live on a bus route. We are one of four houses but only three have a drive for one car and all the houses have 2/3 cars. Beyond us is a block of flats with no car park. We are allowed to park on the wide pavement but we can rarely park outside our house. For some reason, delivery vans and tradesmen think it is ok to park across the bottom of our drive. However, this is all a minor inconvenience and wouldn’t be a driver (sorry) in making me move.

GrandmaMoira Sun 01-Apr-18 10:20:17

I don't drive myself, but no-one has problems where I live despite the fact that some houses have been converted into flats. No-one has converted their front garden to a drive as it's not needed. Surely there must be other areas where parking is like this.

bikergran Sun 01-Apr-18 10:22:31

Lucky enough to have a private parking space in a private car park and also space out the front for anyone...hope this will be a good brownie point if selling...!

Smithy Sun 01-Apr-18 10:23:28

My friend lives in an liver 60s bungalow, where at one time mist people were a good bit older than that and there were few cars. Now the inhabitants are getting younger, as some are getting the homes on medical grounds not age, so the number of homes with cars increases and now there aren't enough spaces for all the cars. Visitors have to park in another street often.

jusnoneed Sun 01-Apr-18 10:47:07

It used to be bad along here, not quite so at the moment as the people next door don't drive (she kicked out the muppet that did have various vehicle/motorbikes and traded him for a non driver) and the neighbours a couple doors away who used to have three cars moved last year. Plus youngsters in a couple other houses have moved on and taken their cars with them, we wait for next lot to get to driving age lol.
We put in a drive years back so can park three cars with no problem other than the ignorant so and so's who sometimes think it funny to park across the entrance (the said muppet above was one).
We have playing fields across the road which belong to private school and when I first moved here there used to be trouble nearly every weekend as they had various matches which meant coachloads and posh cars of people from other schools would arrive and park down the road. The rows that went on! They no longer park here.

ninathenana Sun 01-Apr-18 11:46:39

Fortunately it's not a problem as our drive takes two cars, so room for me and a visitor. I'm so glad we moved from the narrow street of period terraced houses where we lived 15 yrs ago. I'd have no chance evenings and weekends especially as my parallel parking is rubbish blush

driverann Sun 01-Apr-18 11:55:21

I was told by a man at the garage that after the 1st of May when the new MOT comes in that thousands of cars will be taken off the road because many will fail the test.

Moocow Sun 01-Apr-18 12:10:06

Interesting driverann . We don't but many of our neighbours do, especially where permits are now needed to raise funds by landlord who also owns the private road, ans so this has led to people parking their cars round the corner onto the free public road instead of buying a permit to park in front of their homes!

OldMeg Sun 01-Apr-18 12:54:50

Not a problem as we chose a street with parking bays and sufficient room on the drive of our house. We also have residents parking permits so other drivers can only park for an hour before they have to move.

Welshwife Sun 01-Apr-18 13:25:13

We have no problem because we live in the back of beyond and have a large drive but where other family members live in villages or towns it is dire. DGD has a parking permit so is OK but much of the road is up to only two hours parking. They can buy a book of visitors parking tickets but are only allowed so many a year. As they are buying an apartment soon she has sold her car as will have no parking at all and her partner will fortunately be able to park at his office which is within walking distance.
So many places are becoming a nightmare and there is planning permission granted with seemingly no thought being given to people’s parking needs.

varian Sun 01-Apr-18 13:36:53

Parking requirements will vary from one LPA to another. Generally at least two parking spaces are required for a three bedroomed house, but exceptions may be made in town centre locations where there is good public transport.

Some years ago planning policy deliberately restricted parking spaces in the name of "sustainability" arguing that it would discourage people from using cars. It didn't. It just led to neighbour disputes.

Even if you don't have a car I think it is wise to try to live somewhere with some parking provision for your visitors, otherwise you might not have any.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 01-Apr-18 13:41:09

Yes, I live in a two up two down, my street is always chocca block, it’s permit only, just too many cars not enough street. My biggest moan however, is why should I have to pay for a permit anyway as I live on the street, its £66 per annum, the permit should be free, where I lived before I didn’t have to pay to park in the road outside my house angry

kittylester Sun 01-Apr-18 14:07:04

We live near the centre of a busy village and, luckily, have drive big enough for 3 cars, although we have to shuffle them about if the front car wants to move first.

We have double yellow lines from the village to our drive where it becomes single line. It is a mixed blessing as we have no cars outside most of the time but then visitors can't park either and have to go up the road and park outside someone else's house. One of the people up the road used to puncture DD's tyres if she parked outside her house.

It is all exacerbated since the council sold off the big car park in the middle of the village and allowed houses to be built on it - less parking for more cars.

tanith Sun 01-Apr-18 14:17:42

In outer London we don’t have problems parking, our drive takes 3 cars but our neighbour now has 3 children who all drive so sometimes 6 cars including a girlfriends need parking it is a bit annoying but there is plenty of on street parking . All of our road have their own drive or hard standing at the front. We are lucky by the sound of the problems some of you have even in the countryside.

NanKate Sun 01-Apr-18 14:28:13

We have 3 parking spaces at the back of our home (we have a back to front house according to our GSs). DH says that if a time comes that we need an extra bob or two we could rent out a space. ????

BBbevan Sun 01-Apr-18 14:55:26

Where we used to live was like a giant car park. Every space in the street had a car in it and more often than not one waiting. It was awful. Now we are in a quiet area. Easy to park at the shops, and most everywhere. We have a drive so no problem there either. I am so glad we moved.

SpanielNanny Sun 01-Apr-18 15:02:45

Lpppo

SpanielNanny Sun 01-Apr-18 15:03:57

Sorry about above post, not sure how it happened! I am lucky enough to have a drive, but struggle some days to get on it as other are forced to park so close. Further down my street are rows of terraced houses and parking for them is virtually impossible.

Esspee Sun 01-Apr-18 15:14:14

I own the land up to the mid line of the street so any attempt by the council to charge people to park on my land would be vigorously challenged even though I can get 3 cars on my drive. It's the principle!

Menopaws Sun 01-Apr-18 16:42:54

I have a drive now and room for husbands car on road but our house when we first married was a mid terrace with road parking and you soon learned to park in the tiniest space. Trying to get three under three, one dog and shopping out of car and into house meant I could park brilliantly but so many neighbours were useless, 25 years in this house and I still love pulling onto my own drive

gillybob Sun 01-Apr-18 16:48:44

I’ve got a family next door with 4 cars and and a motorbike between them. Each house has 1 numbered parking space round the back and there are a few visitors spaces at the front . They’re too lazy to walk round the back so their space remains empty but they take up almost every visitor space in the front So selfish . They often park in the middle of 2 spaces too, so as to keep spaces for each other . It almost drives DH to distraction.