Gransnet forums

House and home

Selling our house

(76 Posts)
rubysong Wed 18-Apr-18 13:39:47

Hints and tips please. We have had over twenty viewings but no-one has made an offer for our quirky Cornish cottage with a sizeable garden, down a steep and narrow lane. We put out clean white towels and polish the shower doors. All is tidy and the garden neat and colourful but, though they all admire our it they don't make an offer. Do you think the garden puts people off. When we bought it in 1986 lots of others wanted it. It has been on the market for 3 weeks.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Apr-18 13:43:42

Rubysong, you have probably done all the things that should make your house sell. Maybe the viewers are just wanting a day out and a nosy around a lovely country cottage. Sorry I can't offer any solutions, except patience smile

Situpstraight Wed 18-Apr-18 13:44:52

Hate to say it, but it sounds as though it’s down to the price, or the access.

What feedback have you had from the Agents?

Situpstraight Wed 18-Apr-18 13:45:41

PS
3 weeks is very early to start worrying, I’m sure it will sell, very soon.

humptydumpty Wed 18-Apr-18 13:46:10

I agree, sounds like it's overpriced, I'm afraid, for current market conditions. It sounds lovely, by the way! Can you provide a link to the ad?

Jane10 Wed 18-Apr-18 13:50:59

It's early days yet. March and September used to be the big months for selling. March was awful so maybe April will be your month! Good luck.

Situpstraight Wed 18-Apr-18 13:51:46

Don’t forget also that it’s unlikely that buyers will be able to make an offer until they are sure that their sale/mortgage is organised, so maybe give them a bit more time.
20 views is good, might be better now the weather has picked up.

FarNorth Wed 18-Apr-18 16:28:09

'Down a steep and narrow lane' could put some people off, especially older ones.
Are the advantages for younger buyers made clear in the description, so that they may not mind about the access?
3 weeks is very early to start worrying, though.

ninathenana Wed 18-Apr-18 16:33:21

As FarNorth says "steep and narrow lane" would put me off I'm sorry to say.
Early days yet though.

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Apr-18 16:33:30

'The steep and narrow lane' caught my attention also.
Lots of viewers - presumeably the lane is not mentioned in the brochure and so viewers are only aware when they visit.

3 weeks certainly isn't long. My DS waited a year for an offer on their property.

kittylester Wed 18-Apr-18 16:36:46

You can hire people who 'dress' your house for sale. Depending on the asking price that might be worth a try. Sounds lovely to me!

loopyloo Wed 18-Apr-18 16:56:16

Things are quiet at the moment. It sounds in some ways suitable for a retired couple but then you have the difficult access. But you only need one person to fall in love with it and it will be sold.

J52 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:08:12

You mention that the cottage is quirky, although you don’t say why. Do you think the unusual features could be a problem?
As others have said some people are just nosy, you could ask the agent only to show to people with their house on the market, or cash buyers.
I’m afraid the lane would put me off as well, but that’s not helpful, sorry.
It’s early days. Home. uk are a web site which have a section indicating how long different properties take to sell in your area.
Having sold recently after many time wasters, I feel your pain. flowers

Charleygirl Wed 18-Apr-18 17:18:45

If it was mentioned in the brochure that there was a steep and narrow lane I would not view it. As others have said, maybe some were put off when they saw what had to be negotiated to get to the house. Three weeks is early though. Maybe have another look at the description so that only people who are interested will view. Listen to the feedback from the estate agent.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Apr-18 17:32:41

Anything "quirky" has a limited market - I think you just have to bide your time, after satisfying yourselves that the price is pitched right.

Nanos Wed 18-Apr-18 17:42:35

Hello Rubysong,
I agree with Charleygirl and listen carefully to the feedback from the estate agent. Also what about any outstanding work needing done? Does the cottage require rewiring?
Are the electrics including fuse box up to 2018 standard?
If you have logburners or open fires when was the chimney or chimneys last swept? Are the down pipes and guttering in good repair? Buyers quickly see beyond quirky and begin being practical on the drive home! My tips are rather dull I know, but having recently bought and sold, it proved to be a pain for us organising and doing these larger jobs, but well worth it in the end. Before accepting viewers, the agents should also tell you if the viewers are serious buyers who have sold their own property or have even put their own home on the market.
I wish you the best of luck!

grannyactivist Wed 18-Apr-18 18:00:38

After only three weeks I wouldn't be at all concerned. As others have said, keep in touch with the estate agent and ask him/her to take feedback from all viewers. I agree with Nanos' last point about ensuring that viewers are serious buyers - it seems strange to me, but I do know that people, known to agents as 'carpet treaders' often find looking at houses is a suitable leisure activity. hmm

glammanana Wed 18-Apr-18 18:29:34

I agree with all the above 3 weeks is such a short time but 20 viewings does seem alot,make sure the Agent is qualifying the viewers correctly and not allowing people who cannot proceed to an offer without selling their present home or are cash buyers.
Insist on feedback after every viewing for the pros and cons,make your agent work for their commission some are very lazy when it comes to feedback.

GrandmaMoira Wed 18-Apr-18 18:56:09

You have done very well to have 20 viewings in only three weeks. My house has been on the market for months and I've had less viewings than you. I did have a buyer but they dropped out. Here in London prices are dropping and chains are collapsing. It's a very difficult market - I didn't think it would be so difficult to downsize.

luluaugust Wed 18-Apr-18 19:25:55

Three weeks is nothing, many of your viewers may just have been having a nose around. Keep in touch with the Agent and ask for feedback, check you have the price right, quirky will be of interest to somebody but not necessarily very quickly. Good luck.

rubysong Wed 18-Apr-18 22:32:39

Thank you all for your ideas. We had two valuations which were the same so we don't think we are asking too much and no-one has complained about the price. We have had good feedback from the agents and to be honest only one viewer has said he would have offered but for the access. Some said the sitting room was too small (it is a 200 year old cottage) and a couple said the garden was too sloping. They are all
things we can't do anything about. Maybe we are just being impatient.

Chinesecrested Wed 18-Apr-18 22:56:35

It really is very early days. I've got a flat up for sale since November last year! I think that the market has slowed right down (maybe due to the "B" word) and we just have to be patient. Good luck with it. You only need one person to fall in love with it!

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Apr-18 23:04:10

I think a quirky Cornish cottage will sell more quickly when the sun is shining - as it was today.

Nowhere looks so attractive in the rain and, judging by yesterday's horizontal deluge in Devon, even a Cornish cottage may not look very appealing.

Good luck, it is early days and I'm sure you will soon find a buyer but, if not, it could be that you may need to ask for OIRO

Eloethan Thu 19-Apr-18 00:06:31

A good estate agent should sound out prospective purchasers soon after they have visited and discuss the feedback with you.

If by "quirky" you mean the layout of the house is unusual, that is something which, in the property programmes, seems to put some people off. If the garden is somewhat "natural" and looks like it will be difficult to tame, it may deter some people.

But I think the average time for getting an offer to purchase is around 3 months - and can be considerably longer - so perhaps there's no need to be concerned at this early stage.

PamelaJ1 Thu 19-Apr-18 00:46:20

I think lots of Cornish cottages have steep and narrow lanes leading to them and a Cornish cottage is also likely to be quirky.
Most viewers also look at the asking price before viewing and, if interested, will make an offer.
Three weeks is not long-give it at least a couple of months before worrying too much.