Gransnet forums

House and home

Karndean for Kitchens?

(8 Posts)
sprite66 Wed 25-Apr-18 08:38:09

Wondering about fitting Karndean in our kitchen. I've dropped a few things on our current cheap vinyl and as a result it has several cuts in it which attract dirt and look messy. Does anyone know if Karndean is likely to suffer similarly from dropped saucepan lids etc?

Chewbacca Wed 25-Apr-18 08:56:09

I had Karndean fitted in my kitchen just 3 weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. I had the QuickLock underlay system, instead of the screeding underlay, and it feels very warm and not "clippy-cloppy" underfoot. The design I chose was a wooden planking style and so the Karndean vinyl comes in planks. I was told that if a plank did get damaged that it is possible to lift it and replace it.

I'm delighted with how easy it is to clean; warm underfoot and how realistic it looks.

NfkDumpling Wed 25-Apr-18 08:58:26

My DD1 has Karndean tile effect in the kitchen and loo and wood effect throughout the rest of the downstairs. Its been down over five years and with two DC and their friends, two dogs with scratchy claws, two cats (one isn’t very good on using the litter tray) and a very messy chaotic house, the Karndean still comes up as good as new.

I have Rhino Lino in my utility which is still good after 12 years and that gets stuff dropped on it and outside scratchy shoes all the time. But it doesn’t look as good as Karndean. It’s definitely Lino.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Apr-18 08:58:59

Oh and I have a 18 month old DGS who sits bashing metal toy cars on the kitchen floor! Not a mark on it!

Iam64 Wed 25-Apr-18 09:05:28

The Karndean floor in our kitchen/dining area has been down 5 years and still looks good. It's the busiest area of the house and is wearing very well despite two large dogs, toddlers on scooters, people 'forgetting' to take their muddy shoes off and all the other family life stuff.

lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 09:09:23

Yes, we have Karndean in the kitchen, put down new 10 years ago and as good as new still, amazingly.
Easy to wash and all marks come off, we kept some ‘planks’ as replacements but have never been needed.
We have the bleached wood look, a creamy colour which I initially thought would need constant cleaning, but it doesn’t.

jusnoneed Wed 25-Apr-18 10:28:48

Another long term user of Karndean, oak effect planks, mine in kitchen/shower room has been down for about 12 years, easy to mop and occasional mark has always rubbed off.

sprite66 Thu 26-Apr-18 09:23:39

Thank you for your replies. I think the car bashing toddler would be the closest thing to my saucepan lid dropping ( cast iron) which have scarred my existing vinyl.