Gransnet forums

House and home

Oven cleaners

(43 Posts)
Charly Tue 01-May-18 20:35:19

Can anyone recommend a really effective cleaner for the inside of my large electric oven?

I so so don't want to have to scrub-a-dub-dub (much or at all) as I loathe hard domestic work. I know it's shameful but if there are any easy peasy ways forward....much appreciated!

Happysexagenarian Wed 02-May-18 15:25:03

sweetpea Have you tried WD40? We are in a very hard water area and it works great on our shower screens. For really stubborn patches of limescale I use Viakal.

Happysexagenarian Wed 02-May-18 15:32:47

Another Oven Pride fan here, it works like magic!
But the most difficult part of my ovens to clean is the back walls. They can't be removed so I almost have to crawl in the ovens to clean them! I too would like to have Ovenu come and do a 'deep clean' once a year but there is no local franchise in our area.
Reading this thread has actually reminded me that I should give my ovens a clean before they get too bad blush blush

allsortsofbags Wed 02-May-18 16:49:47

Oven Pride has been a game changer for me too.

Wish I could find something as good for cleaning the patio. Just spent nearly 2 hours power washing and judging by what is still to do I've a good 4 -5 hours to go :-( Not today though.

wot Wed 02-May-18 17:12:58

The ones with a bag included. You put the racks in with liquid and leave overnight (outside) turn the bag over occasionally. The dirt just rinsed off. Really good and only about £3

Luckylegs Wed 02-May-18 17:26:37

I've read that you wipe neat shampoo over your wet shower doors etc and hey presto! Just rinse off, I believe (don't shoot the messenger).

phoenix Wed 02-May-18 17:30:44

Mr P is another oven Pride fan! blush

We have an arrangement, I iron, he cleans the oven. Fortunately he doesn't seem to have noticed that I have gradually been buying him some really nice shirts from Cotton Traders that don't actually need ironing, providing you take them out and hang them up as soon as the wash has finished.......wink

Shinyredcar Wed 02-May-18 17:46:15

I’m an Oven Pride fan but my last house had an oven with a fold down door and some of the solution dripped on the drawer underneath, from inside the door. Big bill for new drawer front! Currently have oven that needs cleaning in my new home but am nervous of more drips.

Will have to save up for a professional I think.

NanaMacGeek Wed 02-May-18 18:06:20

My electric oven has a couple of 'Pyrolysis' settings. It reminds me to clean the oven every few months and all I have to do is remove the non-stick shelves and turn on pyrolysis. Two hours later, the oven is cool enough to open and for me to wipe away the thin, white powder that is the result of the high temperature cleaning process. Job done!

I know I am smug but it's a feature worth considering when you buy your next electric oven. It costs a lot less to clean than getting in a professional and saves a lot of elbow grease and chemicals.

Menopaws Wed 02-May-18 18:09:17

Mr muscle but don't breath it in so I might try Oven pride

Yellowmellow Wed 02-May-18 19:32:21

When my sons were at home I'd have the oven professionally cleaned every year. Now they have left, I have it done about every 2 years, the rest of the time I use Oven Pride. A professional clean just gets any little hard to remove little bits off x

TrishP2 Wed 02-May-18 20:10:19

Years ago I met someone whose job was to inspect married quarters in the RAF when they were vacated. Their standards were very high and she told me the following. Put a bowl of ammonia in the oven overnight. Put the trays and racks in a plastic bag with some ammonia overnight. No matter how baked on the grease is it just washes off like magic the next day.

Babybelle Wed 02-May-18 21:19:27

The cheap version from Poundland is just great!

Cagsy Thu 03-May-18 19:15:11

I worry about Oven Pride when it gets into sewers, it's very powerful stuff. I used it once but decided not to again on environmental grounds.

Kittye Thu 03-May-18 19:37:51

I'm another one for professional cleaning. My knees are not up to bending down and scrubbing filthy ovens grin

dionar Fri 18-May-18 14:30:32

Mr Muscle works great though I suggest that you wear gloves and mask.

storiette Wed 04-Jul-18 22:20:59

I'm using Mr. Muscle's and I'm very satisfied! I put it and wait for a few minutes and after that, in the most cases, just mildly scrub with a sponge.

FlexibleFriend Sat 07-Jul-18 11:13:17

I think I'd rather pay a fiver for oven pride a couple of times a year than give someone 50 quid to do it for me. I can see the advantage if your disabled but otherwise nah.