Gransnet forums

House and home

Handy household hints & tips!

(10 Posts)
phoenix Fri 04-May-18 11:08:45

(Note I didn't say tips and wrinkles wink!)

To get the last bit out of bottles (not wine, obviously) such as ketchup, shampoo etc, make sure the lid is tightly closed, hold the bottle upside down and swing in small circles.

The liquid inside will go down into the neck, meaning you can get more out.

Situpstraight Fri 04-May-18 11:15:54

You could do this, outdoors, in the Summer as part of your excercise routine.

Just saying........

Teetime Fri 04-May-18 11:33:12

My sister the accountant deplores my habit of not even trying to get the last bit out of bottles - she's coming this weekend!!!! She also counts the potatoes.hmm

Situpstraight Fri 04-May-18 11:37:01

What does she do with them once counted? Make a note of it somewhere for future reference? Arrange them in size? Round them down to an even number?

My mind is boggled!

Oldwoman70 Fri 04-May-18 11:52:34

Keep several "Get Well" cards on the shelf, that way if unexpected guests arrive they will assume you have been ill and unable to clean.

magsmay Fri 04-May-18 12:18:24

My kitchen sink is very smelly, any suggestions please to make it smell better.

KatyK Fri 04-May-18 12:21:39

I put this on the other thread we had about this, so at the risk of repeating myself - get your chrome taps gleaming and sparkly by coating them with toothpaste, leaving for 10 minutes or so and then rinsing with cold water. It really works. smile

cavewoman Fri 04-May-18 12:27:43

Oldwoman Brilliant! grin

Situpstraight Fri 04-May-18 12:37:12

Dishwasher rinse aid is good for all chrome/ stainless steel surfaces wipe on and then wipe off . Simples.

shysal Fri 04-May-18 16:06:51

For anyone who has a George Forman or similar grill I found a really simple method of cleaning my baby one. Take a 3 sheet-thick wad of kitchen paper and wet it. As soon as you have finished grilling, turn off and sandwich the paper between the plates. By the time you have finished eating it will have cooled enough to simply wipe off all the gunge with no effort, damping again if you have left it too long. I understand that the most common reason given for not using these grills is the cleaning difficulty.