Gransnet forums

House and home

Mains gas vs LPG

(8 Posts)
sucraft Fri 25-May-18 15:22:01

I have always lived in homes where mains gas was laid on. I have recently seen a property that would be ideal for us but it has LPG - can anyone please tell me any pros and cons regarding this before I make arrangements to view? Thank you

Panache Fri 25-May-18 15:42:20

We have oil CH but for our stove in the sitting room it is run by LPG.

We thought it would prove both expensive and a nuisance ........requiring ordering,delivery and the fitting up and dismantling of the bottles etc.
Quite frankly we have nothing but praise,satisfaction and we certainly find it excellent value.

Of course having a whole system heated this way may prove to be different,however this is my take on ours.

Welshwife Fri 25-May-18 15:55:11

It is fine - we have a large tank buried in the back garden and it is piped to the house. We run our CH from it and also the cooker. As we also have a wood burner we are not totally reliant on it - I don’t think the price varies much and like all fuel it has gone up over the years.

The burners on the cooker etc need to be changed to LOG specific ones but an easy job.

Poppyred Fri 25-May-18 16:38:49

My father had lpg gas and it cost him an arm and a leg!!

tanith Fri 25-May-18 17:01:11

My sister has it with a tank in the garden she also says it costs an arm and a leg.

Charleygirl Fri 25-May-18 18:48:31

My parents, when they were alive thought it horrendously expensive.

Welshwife Fri 25-May-18 20:35:19

The price here in France varies due to supply - same as oil. I think you often feel it costs more because you have to pay up front to fill the tank.

sucraft Fri 25-May-18 20:50:21

Thank you - food for thought