Gransnet forums

House and home

Clothes storage

(56 Posts)
lindiann Fri 25-May-18 15:27:45

Hi how do you all store your out of season clothes? I have put clothes away clean over winter when I went to get T shirts out they were discoloured?

DanniRae Fri 25-May-18 15:37:24

Hi, I put out of season clothes away in a couple of suitcases - clean, of course, but I have never had a problem with any discolouration. So sorry I have no advice!

Cabbie21 Fri 25-May-18 15:52:47

Mine go in one of the drawers in the divan base. No problems there.

SpanielNanny Fri 25-May-18 16:03:29

Vacuum storage bags. You can fit lots more in the space, and they stay clean. Works great for your out of season duvet too.

humptydumpty Fri 25-May-18 16:04:23

In a suitcase in the hall cupboard.

tanith Fri 25-May-18 16:10:05

I have an ottoman bed so my Winter clothes go under there along with the Winter bedding and much more and it’s all hidden away without taking up cupboard space . Never had a problem with discolouration.

lindiann Fri 25-May-18 16:24:22

Ok thanks will try vacuum storage bags have been looking at them smile

Cherrytree59 Fri 25-May-18 16:56:32

My clothes stay in the wardrobe.
They don't have 'seasonal change'

Winter - jeans, trousers, t-shirt, fleece or jumper, smart/pretty blouses (not seasonal)

Spring as above, warmer days t-shirt and gillet.

Summer - jeans (possibly white when no grandchildren about), light trousers , warmer trousers in evenings.
Autumn - same as spring.

Layers go on when cool.
Off when warm.

Scribbles Fri 25-May-18 17:47:56

I like the vacuum bags, too but beware if you hate ironing because everything comes out hopelessly creased crumpled.

callgirl1 Fri 25-May-18 18:13:15

I wear the same all year round, with the addition of a jumper or cardigan when it`s cold.

Nain9bach Sat 26-May-18 09:12:48

Vaccuum bags. Then in roller boxes under the bed.

Irenelily Sat 26-May-18 09:15:15

I always used to pack out of season clothes in storage bags on a shelf at top of a wardrobe. This year I have folded jumpers and tops) between newspaper (to keep away moths - so they say!) in 2 spare drawers. Have kept trousers and skirts hanging up. I still have stuff at top of wardrobe - needs sorting - sometime - when I ask myself? !

MawBroon Sat 26-May-18 09:15:31

Big travel bags in the loft.
(Out of sight out of mind)
Some items move seamlessly from loft bag to charity shop bag at changeover time when I realise I had forgotten I even had them blush

Harris27 Sat 26-May-18 09:17:20

I have drawers which I rotate seasonally. I still keep cardies out for cooler nights.

CrazyGrandma2 Sat 26-May-18 09:28:22

Not an issue as it all stays in the wardrobe or cupboards. Maybe I haven't got enough clothes smile

Welshwife Sat 26-May-18 09:48:38

Another one who keeps all in drawers and the wardrobe as normal. I do sort them a bit in that short sleeved tops come more to the top of the drawer and the trousers change places on the rail but that is all.

Coconut Sat 26-May-18 10:00:26

I had a 3 storey townhouse in the Harbour, with absolutely no storage space whatsoever, typical of many modern homes. So every 6 months we had the monotonous task of putting all the past seasons clothes up in the attic and bringing all the next season stuff back down.... used to drive me nuts ! Now however in our big old spacious house, I have ample storage space and keep everything within easy reach, it’s bliss !

seacliff Sat 26-May-18 10:07:27

I put mine in boxes under the spare room bed, never had any fading problems there.

I add a nice smelling soap. With woollens I add a couple of moth deterrent tablets and seal up in a plastic bag.

DanniRae Sat 26-May-18 10:07:58

Does anyone else put the same clothes back in storage every six months because they are still too tight? (With the proviso that next season you will put them in the charity bag rather than in storage if still not fitting!) hmm

MawBroon Sat 26-May-18 10:08:39

gringrin

Legs55 Sat 26-May-18 10:21:50

Mine all stays in wardrobe/drawers, lack of storage space.

I don't have lots of clothes so don't need to store out of season anywayhmm

Chewbacca Sat 26-May-18 10:30:03

I have a suitcase that I put the out of season clothing in, and transfer the new season clothing to the wardrobe. At changeover time, I go through the lot and take anything I haven't worn at all to the charity shop. But lugging that suitcase up/down from the top of the wardrobe is getting harder and harder, so a new system will have to be found shortly.

pollyperkins Sat 26-May-18 10:31:45

They go intospare room wardrobe. But Id like ti look at vacuum strage bags as I gether they prevent moths eating casmere jumpers?

Grannycuddles Sat 26-May-18 10:35:50

dannirae I have bags full of clothes like that in the loft ?

GrandmaMoira Sat 26-May-18 10:45:18

I don't put clothes away by seasons. I have nowhere else to put them. I know people store them in the loft but I can't get to my loft. I've only recently got someone to put my Xmas decs. back up there!
For those who use the underbed storage, where do you put bedding and towels? That's where I keep those. I do have an old house with no built in storage, I find modern houses are much better for this.