Gransnet forums

House and home

Yorkshire - Would love to live there, any Suggestions on Areas.

(19 Posts)
PinkSweetPea Sun 17-Jun-18 18:14:43

I have always wanted to moved to Yorkshire, I'm in Lincolnshire at present time and would be looking to buy a house. It would have to be a reasonably priced area, I know York, Harrogate are expensive. I always fancied Skipton as that looks nice, but don't think I would get much for my money, looks pricy.

I would want somewhere that is not too rural as I don't drive, would like shops and bus/trains service, but not a busy city.

Would love some suggestions of areas so that I can look on rightmove and what the area is like.

Thanks

lemongrove Sun 17-Jun-18 18:21:44

North Yorkshire is very nice, and yes, Skipton would be a good base.York, or a village near there would also be a good choice.What about Shipley or Bingley? Much cheaper than York or Harrogate.

Welshwife Sun 17-Jun-18 18:41:43

Skipton is one of the best places and has lots going on. DD moved there three or four years ago and loves it. Houses are not that expensive at all there. Look on Right Move website and put in area and price you could afford and see what comes up. DD bought a house in a village a couple of miles outside Skipton and loves the whole area.
The buses and trains from Skipton are good too.

M0nica Sun 17-Jun-18 18:51:14

Why not look at a map of Yorkshire, note the main towns that are likely to have the facilities you want and then use the town names as the basis for Rightmove searches.

You say you live in Lincolnshire. I think prices are quite low compared with other areas, while North Yorkshire is one of the most expensive areas in the country outside the South East. You may find it better to concentrate on towns in the East and West of the county and be realistic about what your money will buy you.

gillybob Sun 17-Jun-18 19:14:09

I love Grassington ( but possibly too small??) Skipton and Hawes are lovely .

Greyduster Sun 17-Jun-18 19:14:19

I know it will probably go down like a lead brick, but can I say a word I’m favour of South Yorkshire? We live in Sheffield, which is framed by the wonderful and very accessible Peak District National Park. It is a very green city with wonderful parks and woodlands within the city boundary. The city centre is well served and getting better, and we have a good public transport system. It does not have the kudos of the Dales or the Vale of York, but most people are pleasantly surprised when they visit and property prices are lower than the above mentioned areas.

Mapleleaf Sun 17-Jun-18 19:32:37

No, it shouldn't go down like a lead balloon, Greyduster, as a fellow South Yorkshire GN'r there are some lovely villages around and about, with reasonable access to towns and cities, but pretty enough in their own right. We don't have to travel many miles to be in lovely countryside but have the added bonus of good transport links. It's definitely not "grim up North"! ?
I think MOnica suggests a good idea when she says get a map of the area you are interested in, and note the facilities that you are likely to want. Best of luck. ?

PinkSweetPea Sun 17-Jun-18 19:44:30

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yes Lincolnshire is a lot cheaper house prices so think i will be struggling to find somewhere.
Gillybob I just seen a picture of Grassington on Facebook looks lovely .
Greyduster thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated and yes I have heard Sheffield area has some lovely places, will put that on my list.
Monica - yes I'm listing places, then looking on Rightmove and google for what they are like.

Gagagran Sun 17-Jun-18 20:36:55

You will definitely find cheaper properties in West Yorkshire PinkSweet Pea and I can recommend Holmfirth as a vibrant small town which has the facilities you mention, apart from trains. Lots of "Last of the Summer Wine" episodes on Youtube, which were filmed there would give you a good idea of the scenery in the area.

Hebden Bridge is another attractive, lively, small town in West Yorkshire (Calderdale) and that does have a good train service with a line to both Leeds/Bradford and Manchester. Also has a good 'bus service with easy access to Halifax.

Good luck in your search and do let us know how you get on!

Seaside22 Mon 18-Jun-18 07:21:38

How about the coast, it has some lovely villages inbetween the seaside towns and cheap too .Good luck with your move.

PinkSweetPea Wed 20-Jun-18 13:39:52

Gagagran - I have heard of Holmfirth, visited there once many years ago, will add that to the list, Hebden Bridge sounds ideal, will research that for houses and what it offers. Thanks

Seaside22 - Yes I would love to live by the sea but thought it might be more expensive. I know Whitby is suppose to be a nice little seaside place.

Teetime Wed 20-Jun-18 15:16:06

Ripon is a good centre - lots of going on and you can easily get to the Dales and the Lakes from there.

Welshwife Wed 20-Jun-18 15:32:27

Hebeden Bridge is lovely as is Ilkley but that is probably more expensive. Look at Skipton as it is not as big or as expensive as some of the other places. Also has a lively Tourist office.

Anniebach Wed 20-Jun-18 16:27:41

I enjoyed a walking holiday and stayed in Marrick , beautiful but no help sorry

PECS Wed 20-Jun-18 17:29:32

Hawes would get my vote..though I like Hebden Bridge too...and Dent.... and well just too many lovely places! Or just over the border into Durham..some pretty places there too.

MaizieD Wed 20-Jun-18 18:07:31

Another vote for Sheffield here! What greyduster said.

Its only downside is that it's about as far from the coast as you could possibly be in England.

Greyduster Wed 20-Jun-18 18:13:25

Yes, that is a definite downside, Maizie. We get more excited than most when we see the sea!

Oldbee Fri 22-Jun-18 17:53:37

We moved from the settle area just over 2 years ago-after living there for 20 years. We loved it but it had its disadvantages ,The train service and bus service were very poor. Although it was a market town ,its market was pretty poor.The shops weren’t brilliant,co op and Booths which used to be brilliant when it opened but has gone down hill.
It was an hour to any cinema,Motorway, 18 miles from Skipton. Property is reasonably cheap.
Why did we live there well the kids went to school. In Giggleswick,hubby worked away .we loved walking .
We now live in Hampshire where it is drier,andwarmer and near to everything and still in a good walking area.

Skipton is a good base with good rail and bus services.The-shops are reasonable but sadly House of Fraser will be going. Two supermarkets...Tesco and Morrisons and an Aldi

Harrogate is expensive,Ilkley the same. Otley in the same price range.
The nearer to Bradford cheaper but not very good for lots of reasons,a lot of people have moved out.

The Settle Carlisle railway runs from Leeds but is know to be very pretty and runs steam trains in the summer. But not a good service if you live there . It goes though Skipton as well but there are more trains starting from Skipton.

Hope you find something you like in the area you like.

Doversole Tue 17-Jul-18 09:37:14

Skipton is really nice - still has market day on the main street. I hear the Rackhams (House of Fraser) store will be one of the ones closing though, a real shame. Jilly Cooper used to talk about going shopping in Skipton in her chick-lit novels which were based in the area.
Someone further up the thread has pointed out that Ilkley and Harrogate are expensive. But still on the train line and with good connections are some villages that are lovely e.g. Burley-in-Wharfedale