Gransnet forums

House and home

Raised toilets for disabled

(28 Posts)
callgirl1 Tue 31-Jul-18 21:46:35

Can anyone recommend a higher toilet for a disabled person please? A lady from AgeUK recommended the Cosomat, which sounded great till I saw the price. I need something a bit more reasonably priced.

FlexibleFriend Tue 31-Jul-18 21:52:47

This kind of thing?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008CFSTNA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A1OX8EA14FXUXI&psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21

Eglantine21 Tue 31-Jul-18 22:01:09

If you’re looking for a whole new toilet You need to ask for a “comfort” toilet. Higher than average. eBay have some for around £100. Plus fitting of course

Galen Tue 31-Jul-18 22:12:34

I had mine fitted on top of wooden pedestals

merlotgran Tue 31-Jul-18 22:14:49

When we put in a new shower room two years ago we bought a plinth from eBay that fits under the toilet. There is a choice of heights.

callgirl1 Tue 31-Jul-18 22:19:16

It`s a complete new toilet I`m after. We have a raised seat, but it`s still not high enough for my daughter, she has to stand and straddle it, which can be a bit messy, so I thought a new higher toilet would be the answer. I`ll take a look at Ebay.

merlotgran Tue 31-Jul-18 22:21:00

I think it was this one

annodomini Tue 31-Jul-18 22:51:58

I need to remodel my bathroom, with a walk-in shower and a new suite and want to include a higher level toilet. Would there be a choice of heights available?

cornergran Tue 31-Jul-18 23:08:31

From memory our local showroom has three different heights anno. Felt more than a fool trying them out and in the end went for the highest, if you went the plinth route you could adjust the height of the plinth to suit. Hope it all works out for you.

Cold Tue 31-Jul-18 23:36:03

The one that I have at home is this one
www.invacare.co.uk/styxo-9630e-ma-9630een

The height is adjustable and it comes with 2 inserts - one to use over the toilet and another you can use if you wish to use it as a commode.

I liked it as it felt solid, stable and safe compared to some others I tried

callgirl1 Tue 31-Jul-18 23:48:24

I`ve seen a couple on ebay that I`ll keep in mind. Thanks everyone.

travelsafar Wed 01-Aug-18 06:25:42

Surely if you need this for a medical reason you should get it from Social Services.They would do an assessment and then if deemed necessary supply, especially if is needed after something like a hip operation.

Billybob4491 Wed 01-Aug-18 06:40:01

As Travelsafar has said Social Services provided us with a toilet riser after an assessment. It is adjustable and has grab handles either side. Perhaps also there may be other aids which you would benefit from, and they would let you know if you meet the criteria. Hope this has been of help to you

callgirl1 Wed 01-Aug-18 17:02:40

We don`t want a raised seat, we want a complete toilet. We already have a raised seat and it`s been less than satisfactory. We bought this one because the one we had before, provided by medical services, was taken back after my husband died, as it was provided for him, but we all benefitted from it. I`d love the Cosomat, but am unwilling, also unable, to pay over £3,000 for a flipping toilet!

aggie Wed 01-Aug-18 17:23:57

We had three raised seats for OH , then I used one when I had my hip done , but when they were redundant I scrubbed them ( well DD did ) and tried to get them taken back , they wouldn't take them when all the rest of the equipment was going so we had to donate them to a local nursing home . No idea how we had so many , felt really guilty when they were turned down . They were very useful and sturdy , why do they not give similar to your Daughter ?

callgirl1 Wed 01-Aug-18 17:44:11

They probably would Aggie, but I don`t think we`d be any better off than with the one we have now, which she straddles rather than sits on, and it can get messy. Anyway, have looked at a few online, trying to make up my mind which to go for.

aggie Wed 01-Aug-18 17:59:42

The ones we got had "arms" so useful to help stop sideways falls , I can't imagine straddling it , the District Nurse was the provider I think

merlotgran Wed 01-Aug-18 18:03:16

We had a raised seat for DH but I too found it a pain to keep clean so we bought a toilet from B&Q, the plinth from eBay (after making sure the height was correct) and asked the plumber who installed the toilet to fit it on to the plinth.

Sorted! At a fraction of the cost.

callgirl1 Wed 01-Aug-18 21:48:53

I`ll keep that idea in mind as well Merlot, thank you. We did have a frame that went round the toilet, but becausev the bathroom is so small, it didn`t really fit because of the shower screen

callgirl1 Wed 01-Aug-18 21:49:46

Clicked too early, it went back, along with other stuff, after my husband died.

Eglantine21 Wed 01-Aug-18 23:13:11

Been doing a little bit of hunting. Wickes have a small selection of raised toilets. You might be able to get a good look and a better idea of what will suit if there’s a Wickes near you.

callgirl1 Wed 01-Aug-18 23:15:59

Thank you Eglantine, there`s a Wickes in town.

annsixty Thu 02-Aug-18 02:13:47

We have a frame round the toilet, I hate it.
When myH has been to respite it goes straight into the garden shed until he comes home.

callgirl1 Thu 02-Aug-18 16:05:01

I measured our toilet from floor up last night, complete with the raised seat that we have, it`s turned out to be the same height as the ones I`ve been looking at, so it would be a waste of money to buy a new toilet, so must look for a higher seat than ours instead.

callgirl1 Thu 02-Aug-18 18:00:16

Sorted!