Gransnet forums

House and home

Should we postpone buying a house till Brexit is settled?

(60 Posts)
sassenach512 Sun 07-Oct-18 01:11:33

My DH and I want to move but we can't decide whether or not to wait till after Brexit has been decided. Someone mentioned to us that house prices could drop if things turn out badly for the Brexit deal. This could be scaremongering but I'd hate to buy a house now, to find later that we'd lost money on it.
I'd appreciate your input Grans/Grandads

Willow500 Sun 07-Oct-18 06:41:54

You can't put your life on hold - if you want to move I'd just do it. It depends how long you plan on staying in the new one and the equity in it but house prices have gone up and down over the years so you run the risk whatever happens with Brixit.

MawBroon Sun 07-Oct-18 06:47:51

If you are selling as well the two should cancel each other out. A house is only “worth” an amount when you come to realise it.
If you want to be really canny you could consider selling now, renting, then cashing in if and when prices drop.
Or just get on with your life as Wllow says.

Willow500 Sun 07-Oct-18 06:53:44

'Brexit' not Brixit - Sunday morning fingers grin

POBCOB Sun 07-Oct-18 10:35:06

We currently have our house on the market whilst looking to move further out from London although things are very slow at the moment but we will let things take their natural course. We are also buying a holiday cottage in Ireland so have the exchanges rates to contend with. We can’t put a price on years of our life so whatever happens, if our home ends up worth a penny, we will still be living in them and enjoying our years together.

GeorgieKay Sun 07-Oct-18 10:40:15

No one knows what's going to happen and it's all relative. I would just go ahead with your plans to move. Good luck !

Mapleleaf Sun 07-Oct-18 11:04:56

Unfortunately, no one has a crystal ball to know just what will happen. House prices have always fluctuated over the years, so I would say that if you want to move, and it will be beneficial in many ways for you to do so, then go ahead and do it. Good luck, and enjoy your new home. ?

mabon1 Sun 07-Oct-18 11:13:27

Just move and stop worrying about money or are you skint?

Nonnie Sun 07-Oct-18 11:14:54

If you are downsizing and have done your homework on price you have nothing to lose by putting your home on the market now and seeing how it goes. Imo prices won't rise as a result of Brexit but could if it is overturned. If your home sells easily enough you could go travelling, rent or stay with relatives until next spring and see what happens. We live in an area which has been very, very buoyant for at least 3 years and houses have sold very quickly, often at more than the asking price but now the market seems to be stagnating.

Streaky Sun 07-Oct-18 11:34:59

I have just put my house up for sale and there has been no interest whatsoever yet. I wondered if it was something to do with Brexit, but of course when I asked the estate agent about it, she was dismissive of the idea! Now I realise that it might be indeed the reason.

David1968 Sun 07-Oct-18 11:38:47

I'm with GeorgieKay. Go ahead with your plans. Waiting about to see "what happens" can be paralysing. DH & I moved into a new home this year; the move was hard work but we're so glad we did it. I'm firmly convinced that after the age of 60 (though I appreciate that you, sassenach512, may be younger!) it becomes harder and harder to make the decision and then to go ahead with the sheer practicalities of moving. Do whatever you really want to do - and be happy!

Nannyme Sun 07-Oct-18 11:51:11

We have our house on the market, have earmarked a new much smaller house to move into, things are slow, but what will be will be and as time goes on I am finding more and more things to get rid of and doing it gradually is quite theraputic. Hopefully when the time does come to move it won’t be so arduous, and at least now the house is always clean and ready for anyone who wants to visit.
Now which cupboard shall I do next smile

sassenach512 Sun 07-Oct-18 11:59:42

Thank you lovely people for answering, I guess you're saying we should just go for it and get on with our lives despite what Brexit brings. That's probably good advice, my DH seems to think that way but I always take my time before making big decisions.

Mabon that was an unnecessarily barbed comment hmm no, we're not 'skint' but like many GNs we do worry about what money we have and how best to make it stretch through retirement

Jaycee5 Sun 07-Oct-18 12:21:57

It is difficult to guess the market. If prices drop the supply dries up because some people get trapped in negative equity, others decide to wait until it rises. Such supply as there is often gets picked up by the speculators who know the agents.
You could wait and find that the house that you might choose now is not then available or you could get the bargain of the century.
As you are only looking at buying one house, I presume, and the one that you want to live in, I think you need to start looking now or be ready to pounce at precisely the right moment when they start to drop but before they have dropped to a point where ordinary buyers get squeezed out.
You will not be buying at the top of the market if you buy now so I would start looking if I were in your place but it is one of those toss a coin situations. It depends if you like a gamble or not. Otherwise just think of it as buying a home rather than an investment.

Rosina Sun 07-Oct-18 12:25:03

If prices drop you will be no worse off if buying and selling. Too much scaremongering is going on. Carpe diem!

glammanana Sun 07-Oct-18 12:41:44

Too many "what ifs" in my opinion just go ahead and do what you need to do regardless.

Nonnie Sun 07-Oct-18 12:58:29

If you are planning to spend more than you get for your current home it might be worth waiting as any price drop is likely to be a percentage so the drop on the new house would be more than on the old.

I suggest you keep a close eye on Rightmove for potential new properties. Knowledge is an important factor when negotiating a price. If you have already sold yours and don't need a mortgage you will be in a good position to get a good deal on your new home. I am sure that is why we got such a good deal for our last home.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 07-Oct-18 13:26:34

How long is a piece of string? If the doom and gloomers prediction that the world will end on 'B' day then stay put.

Aepgirl Sun 07-Oct-18 14:01:42

This is all the same as the scaremongering of the 'Millenium Bug' which was going to cause all sorts of problems but, of course, never did. Just get on with your life.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 14:22:14

If you have one to sell then any fluctuation in house prices should cancel out any price differences in selling and buying.
You don't know what tomorrow will bring - just go ahead and move if that is what you intend to do anyway.

You could wait for years otherwise hmm

Juliet27 Sun 07-Oct-18 14:39:42

Willow I liked the ‘Brixit’ error...reminded me of that expression ‘bri**ing it’

Blinko Sun 07-Oct-18 15:14:57

Sassenach512 don't worry, Mabon1 is noted for her sympathy and understanding...grin

Kim19 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:21:20

Someone mentioned to you that house prices 'could' drop after Brexit? I daresay. However, you've simply not encountered or conversed with the person who would equally mention that house prices 'could' increase after that same Brexit. It's all complete and utter speculation so go with your own instincts and Good Luck!

GabriellaG Sun 07-Oct-18 15:26:22

It's a big decision, not for others to decide. You either do or you don't, it's as simple as that.
We all live in different areas and countries so our input would be of no consequence as our housing market might be very different to yours, buoyant or in a slump.

pixie601 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:44:26

Common sense needed. If house prices go down you will get less for yours - if they go up you will have to pay for more your next house. Swings and roundabouts - nothing to do with Brexit. Why, oh why, does everyone want to think " Brexit" all the time. The sooner we are OUT the better.