Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing machine smell

(21 Posts)
Baggs Fri 28-Dec-18 13:25:07

I use soda crystals instead of detergent all the time and do regular hot washes of things like bedding and towels. I only use fabric conditioner on synthetic fabrics, of which we don't have a lot. Washing machine never smells.

jyotiengineering Fri 28-Dec-18 10:23:32

I think you can check your clothes and leakage site.

stree Sat 27-Oct-18 13:08:10

Been on Lidl own non-bio powder for a week now ( washer used daily) and smell just about gone......

Buffybee Fri 19-Oct-18 14:40:00

I have never once had a smelly machine.
I use Surf biological powder and Lenor, mostly 40° with bedding and towels 60°
Dd had problems with hers, she was using non-bio gel and liquid and 30°washes.
She changed back to bio powder and a couple of 40° washes a week and now her machine is fine.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 19-Oct-18 14:23:56

I put a cupful of vinegar in the soap tray of my washing machine and run a hot cycle without clothes in the machine, grannyticktock.

I also leave the door of the washing machine open when it is not in use and never put dirty clothes in until I am ready to start washing them.

grannyticktock Thu 18-Oct-18 22:12:58

I admit to being an Aldi shopper and think most of their stuff is great (their standard washing up liquid is excellent) but I did buy some of their white vinegar and have to say it smells weird, and doesn't taste properly vinegary. I have been waiting to find some domestic task that it would suit, so perhaps the washing machine is the place for it.

Can anyone tell me how much to use and how - in a separate wash (hot? cooll?) or just a rinse programme?

Maggiemaybe Mon 08-Oct-18 06:58:05

Tesco distilled vinegar works out at 70p a litre, btw, half the price you’re paying, stree. The Aldi shoppers will probably be able to get it for 2p a gallon.

Alexa Sun 07-Oct-18 23:42:04

Fill its drawer with soda crystals and do the hottest wash on an empty machine. Use white vinegar for a separate rinse afterwards. Repeat if necessary.

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Oct-18 21:03:34

Same here, travelsafar and lemongrove. I tried lots of suggestions, cleaning the machine, rubber seal and hose, but it seems it was the gel what did it.

One tip advised pouring the washing powder into the back of the drum on top of the clothes as well, rather than into the dispenser. I have no idea whether this helps as well, but the pong's gone.

SpringyChicken Sun 07-Oct-18 21:01:04

You don't need to waste water and electricity by doing a special wash on empty. Put a capful of disinfectant in the fabric softener compartment for each wash. The smell comes from bacteria in the residual water and the disinfectant eliminates it. The clothes won't smell of disinfectant. A hot wash once a week, 60 degrees or higher would help too.

travelsafar Sun 07-Oct-18 20:49:59

* lemongrove * Me too, i found since using powder again no more whiffy smells!!

Patsy70 Sun 07-Oct-18 20:04:43

Vinegar, soda crystals, 90 deg cycle, door and dispenser tray left open. Remove dispenser regularly and clean thoroughly and the surrounding area. I use liquid detergent in a ball in the drum.

DoraMarr Sun 07-Oct-18 19:13:42

I do a hot wash with soda crystals in the soap dispenser, and wash the inside of the rubber seal with dilute soda too.

stree Sun 07-Oct-18 18:59:55

Door is always left open.
Will have a try with bleach and hot cycle.

paddyann Sun 07-Oct-18 18:24:02

90 degree cycle with an empty m/c.I always leave the door open too

midgey Sun 07-Oct-18 18:22:09

Don’t shut the door when you are not using it. Makes a huge difference to mine.

FlexibleFriend Sun 07-Oct-18 17:07:44

Should have said I use Persil small and mighty liquid.

winterwhite Sun 07-Oct-18 17:06:31

Can you get powder in tablets like d'washer? And put them in one of those balls meant for liquid? Sounds as though it should be feasible and would eliminate the clogging up of the powder drawers

FlexibleFriend Sun 07-Oct-18 17:06:18

Mine rarely smells as most of the washes are 40 or 60 degrees. If it pongs I do an empty degree wash with a big squirt of bleach. Sorted.

lemongrove Sun 07-Oct-18 16:58:36

Gone back to using washing powder, no more liquid or gels.
Only pleasant clean aroma from the machine now, clothes are just as clean ( even on fast washes, which I mainly use)
And cheaper to buy, a win win situation.

stree Sun 07-Oct-18 16:27:10

Has started again.
Most of our use is quick wash, 29 mins at 30 degrees or next up, slightly more time t 40 degrees. all 4 rinses and 1400 spin. Never use the tumble dryer function.
The pump trap is drained and cleaned regularly, clear but smelly water, a bit of grey slime but no fluff, or solid objects( paperclips coins etc.)
When it starts getting smelly I usually fill the dispenser tray with white vinegar and start a 2 hour 95 degree cycle.
Sometimes works, sometimes needs more, sometimes lots more.
Tried potions " Mt Magic washing machine rejuvenator" etc, never brilliant ot better than white vinegar ( £7 for 5 litre on that big river internet site)

How do you deal with it?