Gransnet forums

House and home

Replacing integrated dishwasher

(32 Posts)
winterwhite Tue 09-Oct-18 18:13:39

Just moved to a house with 8-yr old fitted kitchen. Builder now retired. Design fine, units fine but appliances were bottom end of market (in a brand commonly used by kitchen designers) and need replacing, esp the dishwasher.

Worry is not what to choose but how to be 100% sure that the dimensions will fit. Appliances are meant to be standard sizes I know, but it seems risky to me - could be a several hundred £££ blunder if installer can't fit it. Has anyone done this? Any advice re using installation service of AO or JL (I had a bad trip with JL once over a washing machine) versus a local plumber / electrician.

DH not 'handy' to this extent. SILs leave too far away.

Hope to hear that it's easy peasy and I'm making a meal of this.

Many thanks for any help.

Framilode Tue 09-Oct-18 18:18:53

We have replaced an integrated dishwasher twice. Different brands and it was fine. The second one I ruined by putting powder detergent (load of it) in the salt dispenser. I was squiffy at the time.

kittylester Tue 09-Oct-18 20:24:37

I'm sure they are standard. We've done it without a problem.

cornergran Tue 09-Oct-18 21:07:36

We’ve had good experiences with AO. Have used their installation/removal service twice now. Careful, cheerful people, no leaks, arrived on time and a totally no fuss installation.

sharon59 Tue 09-Oct-18 21:07:52

I think AO are very efficient on the sales and delivery side. We have bought from them a few times over the years without problem and will fit the appliance for you. Make sure you check the cost of fitting, I thought it was quite expensive. On saying that the £80 fee from AO for fitting a gas cooker, which I declined, turned out to be the same price a local plumber charged me who was already at the house fitting a boiler!

Willow500 Tue 09-Oct-18 21:39:37

I've just bought an integrated dishwasher and fridge freezer from My Appliances - they're unbranded and the kitchen fitter has put them in but they're fine. They don't fit but do give a 3 year extended warranty very reasonably.

FlexibleFriend Tue 09-Oct-18 22:17:21

I've replaced all my integrated appliances at various times, have gone for various makes and never had a problem installing any of them.

Coolgran65 Wed 10-Oct-18 00:33:38

We had to replace our integrated dishwasher recently. Didn't even look at integrated. Dh took off the door and installed a standard machine. Partly because the kitchen might be replaced in the near future.

Coolgran65 Wed 10-Oct-18 00:34:49

Not integrated meant we got a machine with a bigger capacity.

kittylester Wed 10-Oct-18 08:54:53

Surely it has to fit the same 'hole' though.

aggie Wed 10-Oct-18 08:59:47

DSs integrated dishwasher stopped working after a short time , turned out that the door couldn't close properly due to it not being " shoved "(technical term grin )in far enough

Teetime Wed 10-Oct-18 09:27:32

This is all good news I'm sure mine will give out soon as its 8 years old - Hotpoint though but I do flog it mercilessly.
Framilode you're my kind of woman [smile.

Teetime Wed 10-Oct-18 09:27:44

smile

DoraMarr Wed 10-Oct-18 09:29:16

Just check the dimensions and you should be fine. I had an integrated washer/dryer fitted by JL and it was efficient and cost effective.

Purpledaffodil Wed 10-Oct-18 10:16:38

Just done similar in a new kitchen , replacing designer’s suggested appliances with ones I chose. Worth checking dimensions very carefully. Dishwashers are smaller than a few years ago and integrated microwaves are a minefield with only a few models fitting the space in the tower.
I have found AO very useful but not used their fitting service.

vickymeldrew Wed 10-Oct-18 10:44:18

Kitchen units would usually outlast appliances so white goods are standard sizes. £80 might sound a lot to fit a gas cooker, but actually is not. Presumably they have to be qualified to work with gas and they have travelling time etc to factor into their quote. I always buy from John Lewis (never knowingly undersold) and their installation service is excellent with reasonable prices.

David1968 Wed 10-Oct-18 11:45:10

Might it be possible not have an "integrated" dishwasher, but simply to have one that's "on display", so to speak? DH (the cook) and I have never seen the point of integrated appliances and thus we don't have them in our kitchen. Talking with others, it sounds as though replacing integrated appliances always seems to be much more problematic and costly than replacing the "slip in" type. A kitchen is a "workroom", after all!

newnanny Wed 10-Oct-18 12:36:06

They are standard sized and easily fitted. You are worrying needlessly on this occasion.

MeltingMacaron Wed 10-Oct-18 12:45:58

I bought a replacement dishwasher from a local independent who checked that the new model I chose was the same standard size as the very old model I was replacing. Their installers did the plumbing work and took away the old machine. The only slight problem was that the door, when opened, caught slightly on the plinth. The installers said they did not carry the tools to do carpentry work. I was loathe to pay a professional to come out for such a small job so tackled it myself with a Workmate and a jigsaw.

jamtart27 Wed 10-Oct-18 12:51:18

AO were excellent, I ordered a gas cooker checked dimensions and booked their fitter. On arrival was told gas regs had changed and it meant the only way to fit it legally was to dismantle part of the fitted kitchen ! The only other option was an electric oven , they took away the new gas oven and my old one as it would have been illegal to reconnect it, customer service rang to discuss electric options to make sure I chose one that fitted . New oven delivered and fitted within a couple of days and fitter showed me how to use it . I also got a refund as the electric one was cheaper.

winterwhite Wed 10-Oct-18 12:59:14

Thanks very much for the advice and tips.
AO seem to come out well, but how to tell the size of the overall spacee when current d/washer still in it that is the problem - width of door on current machine is a few mm narrower than any other dishwasher known to man so far as I can see. Yet inside it seems a bit wider than a Bosch Slimline I had in the old house.
Maybe the answer will be to have the current taken out and manage without until we find a new one,

EthelJ Wed 10-Oct-18 13:49:38

I've replaced an integrated dishwasher and it was fine. I measured the cavity and checked the size of the washer I bought and also took advice from the fitter who had a list of dishwasher sizes so could advise on the brand to buy. I like you was worried it wouldn't fit but it was OK

gmelon Wed 10-Oct-18 14:07:35

I'm interested in this thread.
I'd not thought of taking out The cupboard door and having freestanding.
Seems a good option?

FlexibleFriend Wed 10-Oct-18 14:13:50

Can't say I'd ever have free standing appliances after having integrated ones they make the kitchen look cheap which I find off putting and when another appliances goes wrong trying to match colours even white is impossible never mind silver or graphite etc.

dogsmother Wed 10-Oct-18 16:09:32

I have a beautiful kitchen but.....from the moment my gas hob went in I hated it and wanted it changed!
I have been terrified to own up to this since probably 6/7 years now. I am prompted by this post to start Checking out replacing it and if it might be a standard size I cannot tell you how happy today I will be ?