Gransnet forums

House and home

How to best clean and maintain an engineered wood floor

(9 Posts)
Granpe Tue 16-Oct-18 12:42:38

I have just had a lovely engineered wood floor installed. Can anyone give me advice on how to maintain it with minimum effort .Thanks

tessagee Tue 16-Oct-18 16:52:13

Sweep every day with a soft brush or E mop or vacuum to ensure no grit about that will scuff it. Mop up spills immediately they occur. Use a cleaning/polishing product that is designed specially for this type of floor and never ever wet mop. You can however use a damp cloth or mop, but only just damp or you'll ruin your lovely floor. You might need to contact your floor supplier to find out where to buy cleaning/polishing products. Enjoy your nice floor.

M0nica Tue 16-Oct-18 22:32:18

Our hall has a floor like this. All I ever do is vacuum it once a week and now and again wipe the floor round the front door with a damp floor cloth when it gets dirty (despite a large door mat).

I have never bothered to polish it or do anything else to it. It has now been down for about 15 years and still looks fine, no damage, no scratches and no marks.

Granpe Tue 16-Oct-18 23:30:45

Many thanks Tess and MO.

Mapleleaf Wed 17-Oct-18 09:34:48

I do more or less the same as tessagee. The company who put the wooden flooring down provided me with a special cleaning fluid which they advised be used once a year and in the meantime to brush with a soft bristle brush and vacuum and to wipe up any marks/spills with a rung out damp cloth, then dry with a soft dry cloth. It's been down about 9 years now and still looks like new.

Granpe Wed 17-Oct-18 11:06:13

Brilliant - thank you Mapleaf.

Nonnie Wed 17-Oct-18 11:43:57

We have original wood floors (Canadian oak) from 1938 so I asked our neighbour who has lived here for over 30 years what to do to look after them and she said to buy wooden floor wipes and do nothing else. I found some in Dunlem but haven't used them yet.

Granpe Wed 17-Oct-18 11:56:13

Oh thanks Nonnie - I'll look out for them too.

jyotiengineering Fri 21-Dec-18 12:18:25

You can use any cleaner for this.