Gransnet forums

House and home

Old fashioned curtains with little hooks

(35 Posts)
Floradora9 Wed 24-Oct-18 12:50:23

We are forced to buy new living room curtains . Well at least I cannot bear ro look at the ones we have for another winter. At the moment we have the old fashioned curtain rail which you hang little hooks on . I cannot see anyone who sells ready made curtains to suit our rail . DH is reluctant to put up a pole but is that the only alternative ? The girl in Dunelm Mill said to look for pencil pleated curtains but looking online they still hang from poles . Help please .

shysal Wed 24-Oct-18 13:06:36

Pencil pleated curtains are fine with your type of rail. They can hang from poles too. You will have a choice of 3 cords on which to attach your hooks, just choose the position which makes your curtains look best.

mcem Wed 24-Oct-18 13:09:44

Draw up the strings in the pencil-pleat heading tape of your new curtains to the correct width.
Then insert the hooks from your old curtains into the new ones and hang them on existing rail.
I can't see the problem.

gmelon Wed 24-Oct-18 14:32:17

There are loads of pencil pleats around.
I won't have the curtains with the holes in. I like the traditional ones.

M0nica Wed 24-Oct-18 16:25:03

All curtains whether they hang from a pole or a track are connected to the pole or track by the same little white hooks that look like music notation.

I have poles and tracks in my house and they all have those little white hooks

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 17:12:21

I bought pencil pleated curtains from Dunelm which fit on to an track - I didn't want a pole or curtains with eyelets because they have blackout linings and are for a bedroom.

In fact, all our curtains are pencil pleated, some are on poles and some on tracks. The poles come with rings with an extended bit where the hook fits through iyswim.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 17:13:29

^but looking online they still hang from poles ^That's because poles are fashionable - but you don't have to be fashionable!

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 17:14:21

www.dunelm.com/search/curtain+track?

kittylester Wed 24-Oct-18 18:02:25

gmelon, my curtains have no holes in them but still hang from poles!

mcem Wed 24-Oct-18 18:55:12

I have one pair of eyelet curtains on a pole.
Two pairs on poles with hooks.
All the others have pencil pleats on hooks and on 'traditional' rails.
For my sitting-room windows I need wider and longer than standard sizes. I find what I need on the elmet website.
Priced as ready-made but they do free alterations so I order 106" length and they adjust them to 104".

M0nica Wed 24-Oct-18 19:02:45

Poles have rings on them and little hooks screwed into them that take the little white hooks. The pole does not go through holes in the curtain, although some shower curtains may.

I have French curtain poles and English and several English curtain tracks and all the curtains attach to them the same way.

I have just looked at the Dunelm site and some of the track fixings incorporate the curtain hook, but always at the bottom of the device is a little round hole that you can attach the curtain to with those dinky little white hooks.

silverlining48 Wed 24-Oct-18 19:35:21

Recently bought some new curtains from ikea. I got them with the tape you pull up, which would take the hooks you talk about. I saw a gadget to pull the curtains together into an attractive pleat and the metal gadget then hooks onto the little hooks.
Not necessary to get the gadget but it does make the curtains hang nicely.

Floradora9 Wed 24-Oct-18 21:37:25

Thanks so much everyone we just hate choosing new things for the house . Give me a garden to plan instead that is fun .

Floradora9 Wed 24-Oct-18 22:18:18

Sorry it is me again I almost got to bed but wondered with the pencil pleats do we order twice the width of the window or one and a half times ?

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 23:17:37

I would definitely order at least twice the width, if not 2.5 width. It depends on the thickness of the curtains and lining too.
Pinch pleats look nice and tidy too.

This link may help:
www.curtainscurtainscurtains.co.uk/curtain-heading-styles-hhid232.html

gmelon Wed 24-Oct-18 23:29:52

kittylester mine are all pencil pleat on poles and tracks.
I mentioned that I don't like the holes/eyelets .

gmelon Wed 24-Oct-18 23:31:50

I buy double the width for curtains.

SpringyChicken Wed 24-Oct-18 23:39:44

For pencil pleats, it's a minimum of double the width, preferably two and a half times the width.

We have pencil pleat curtains hanging from poles but they will also fit on your existing rail. I hope you find some really lovely curtains - it's worth spending time getting them right because you will be looking at them for a long time!

mcem Thu 25-Oct-18 07:12:05

At least double width if you want neat tight pleats. Skimpy curtains look cheap and nasty!
monica the pole does go through the holes with eyelet style curtains!
May I digress slightly and ask if anyone has successfully used portiere rods with door curtains?

kittylester Thu 25-Oct-18 07:39:54

Sorry, I misunderstood your post, gmelon.

I've never had door curtains but my neighbours have had them on their back door for years - using portiere rods.

Jalima1108 Thu 25-Oct-18 17:09:57

Goodness, haven't seen portiere rods with curtains for years!
We do have a door curtain but it's on a pole, not attached with eyelet holes but with hooks fitted into rings which hang from the pole.
It's strictly for very cold weather, never normally used but it does make the house seem more cosy even if it's not necessary.

mcem Thu 25-Oct-18 18:56:00

I'm thinking that portiere rods are the only way to close the curtain and the door together on the way out and also that they'd open with the door on the way in.
They do look a bit unwieldy so just wondered if there's an easier way.

M0nica Thu 25-Oct-18 21:46:36

mcem, I confess that I have never bought ready-made curtains, so have never looked at them. When I buy curtain poles, and I have recently, they come with rings and either combined hooks and ring hangers or have a small metal eye screwed into each ring to hold one of those white hooks, so i assumed that was the only way to attach curtains.

I did once make some tab top curtains after seeing them in a magazine, but took them down pretty quickly and put tape in because they were so difficult to open and close.

MawBroon Thu 25-Oct-18 22:14:56

Several posts down the line I am bemused by the “old fashioned curtains with little hooks”!
Yes there has been a trend forveyelet or tab top curtains but whether you use curtain rods or poles, gathered, pinch pleat and pencil pleat heading tape are what I regard as standard curtain heading!

MawBroon Thu 25-Oct-18 22:15:46

Couple of superfluous letters there
“Eyelet or tab top”