Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchenaid Artisan food mixer

(16 Posts)
annsixty Sat 10-Nov-18 09:33:35

I always buy my own C......s present and this year Curry's have this mixer half price.
I have always wanted one but felt they are very expensive.
Does anyone have one and use it a lot?
Are they really good and easy to use or do they end up in the cupboard?

CassieJ Sat 10-Nov-18 09:42:26

I have one and I love it! Best mixer I have ever had. Only downside is it is VERY heavy. Okay if you can keep it on a work top, but if you keep it in a cupboard be aware of the weight of it. Mine is kept in a cupboard as I don't have the room on the work top to keep it out so know how heavy it is.

Still worth having it though smile

paddyann Sat 10-Nov-18 10:23:51

wish I's seen this last week when it was less than half price on QVC ,I take the reviews with a pinch of salt when they're on the sellers site so didn't buy one .

gillybob Sat 10-Nov-18 10:31:54

My mum had the most amazing one with every gadget attachment you could imagine. She paid a small fortune for it. After she died my dad suggested I or my sister take it, but I knew my DD would love it and appreciate it much more than we would. Bless her she doesn’t get very much . Now it’s being put to the best use ever and my mum would be looking down and smiling.

Go on annsixty you deserve to treat yourself. smile

annsixty Sat 10-Nov-18 10:34:22

Thankyou Cassie and gilly I think I will.

Apricity Sat 10-Nov-18 11:08:40

Yes. I splurged and bought one some years ago and I love it. My daughter also bought one and she loves hers as well. They are not often half price so go for it. Bon appetit.

annsixty Sat 10-Nov-18 11:23:52

I have ordered it thankyou.

gillybob Sat 10-Nov-18 11:55:14

So pleased to hear you’ve gone ahead and ordered it annsixty I’m sure you won’t regret it . My DD uses “hers” all the time . I call her Lucy Homemaker as she is always baking something or other . Despite not having a lot of room, she keeps hers on the bench top as it is very heavy and I think maybe if it was put away you might not use it as much . smile

cornergran Sat 10-Nov-18 12:00:22

Good for you ann, if it makes your life easier it doesn't matter if its only used once a week, or indeed once a month. We've a huge Kenwood with more gadgets than I can remember I bought many years ago when I was making a wedding cake and had a family to bake for, it only gets used a couple of times a month but I wouldn't be without it. If I manage to outlive it there will be a replacement so will be interested to hear about the Kitchenaid.

Nannarose Sat 10-Nov-18 12:40:50

I love mine, and it gets used a lot. It is very solid and can cope with a lot of mix.

annsixty Sat 10-Nov-18 13:13:47

I used to do lots of baking and for years made my own bread.
I haven't baked for a year or more but I have a drawerful of good baking tins from Lakeland so it will be good to use them again.
My GD 2 loves baking so will be happy to inherit it.
She has made a few birthday cakes for her mum's friend's children with success.

FlexibleFriend Sat 10-Nov-18 13:24:00

Oh thanks for the heads up I've just ordered one for my son and dil, they love their baking so that's them sorted.

annsixty Sat 10-Nov-18 13:37:25

Good timing then FlexibleFriend well done.

M0nica Sun 11-Nov-18 08:41:53

I have had a Kenwood mixer for over 40 years. It lives on the worktop and is in constant use. I have a cake cooking at the moment that was mixed in it this morning.

MrsJamJam Sun 11-Nov-18 11:34:54

I love my kitchen aid. Bought the whole set of slicing and grating attachments and find some of them very useful, I can make a delicious coleslaw or remoulade in moments so it has improved our healthy eating ! Which balances out the extra cakes!

Marydoll Sun 11-Nov-18 12:03:22

I bought a Kitchenaid as a retirement gift to myself. I love it! The dough hook is great for making Chelsea buns. I had given up making them, as it had become too painful using a hand mixer and dough hooks.
I got a free ice cream maker with it, which has lain in a cupboard, as the bowl has to go in the freezer overnight and the freezer is usually bursting at the seams.
This has thread has made me think of having a go at making ice cream.
Enjoy Ann, you deserve a treat.