Gransnet forums

House and home

Please recommend where you live!

(65 Posts)
paddysmum Sun 11-Nov-18 19:26:20

Just that really! Looking for inspiration for nice, fairly rural places in the UK to set up home when we retire. We have an interest only mortgage which comes to a end in a couple of years ( long story but had money problems and had to change to IO to get by.) Currently living in leafy village in Home Counties, where the only thing we can buy for our equity cash would be a flat which is a no no as we have pets- chickens and dogs. Not too fussed anyway as it’s becoming very built up around here so are beginning to plan for the future. We are fairly open to locations as DC are scattered around and don’t need us much. We have about £200k to spend which would leave money over for a doer upper and need one bedroom plus a garden. Any thoughts?

Nonnie Mon 12-Nov-18 10:17:20

Plenty of suggestions on here and good for you being ready to up sticks and start again. Just a word of caution, if you have lived in one place for a long time you may find life somewhere else has issues you didn't think of. If possible can you rent somewhere for 6 months, preferably winter months, just to be sure you are making the right decision?

Have fun travelling around looking.

stree Mon 12-Nov-18 10:46:11

North Lincs is where we settled.
Lots of small villages like ours, close to coast and M1, M62, and airports and sea going ferries,so not too far from transport links.
Our village has not much in public transport, one bus a day but free tesco bus and Call Connect service, ( you ring the bus calls round for whatever your local destination) we have a pub and Saxon church, a village pond, a 60 pupil Cof E infants schools and a village hall.
House prices and styles vary, £130k doer upper, huge gardens, quiet, semi detached or bungalow brick built to £600k rural idylls.
NHS not an issue, we have a First Responder service and needed them twice (call for ambulance and they call round first) both times here within 4 to 8 minutes with paramedic.

henetha Mon 12-Nov-18 10:51:21

Devon is lovely, with two coastlines to choose from, and in between there is Dartmoor and Exmoor. There are countless pretty villages or seaside towns. And two nice cities, Plymouth and Exeter. It's really possible to get right away from the bustle of life in Devon and yet we have good road links with the M5 and A38.

ninathenana Mon 12-Nov-18 10:54:05

stree have sent you a PM

BlueBelle Mon 12-Nov-18 11:23:55

I think this is an impossible thread everyone or most people love where they live, for the most part the reason they are still there so if you get 100 answers you may get 100 different places reccommended and you ll be back to square one ?

varian Mon 12-Nov-18 11:38:04

I know of a couple who let out their house after they retired, bought a camper van and spent eighteen months travelling round the UK to see which places they liked and ended up in a village in Somerset.

newnanny Mon 12-Nov-18 11:46:55

I have seen there is something now that retired people can get a mortgage interest only once they are pension age (67). Just a thought as you may want to spend your capital on holidays and treats as you get older.

I would set out your wants/needs in order of importance and work form there.

palliser65 Mon 12-Nov-18 13:55:07

Retford? Mansion for £500000 in beautiful countryside near the Dukeries. Coast 90 mins away, Kings Cross 90 mins away.

Venus Mon 12-Nov-18 14:47:11

I'm buying a flat with a garden, so don't rule out a ground floor fat with access to outside. It widens your search a bit.

Grannyknot Mon 12-Nov-18 14:58:15

I know of a "mash-up" (blended British/European/South African) family smile who are so over the whole Brexit thing and what may come that have bought a spacious three bedroomed house in Ireland for 80,000 Euro in a beautiful part of the country.

And from what the estate agent has told them, they're not the only ones ...

Grannyknot Mon 12-Nov-18 15:08:34

Bought a house in the Republic of Ireland, of course.

Greyduster Mon 12-Nov-18 15:09:44

I hope they have a big umbrella, Grannyknot!? They don’t call it The Emerald Isle for nothing!

Grannyknot Mon 12-Nov-18 15:23:43

Yep Greyduster they do. They're not "green" about the Irish weather ?.

goose1964 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:31:29

Somerset is a good place , most of it is accessible to large towns or cities . Places like Burnham on sea have large retirement communities as so have plenty to do if you're of advancing years.

KatyK Mon 12-Nov-18 16:04:30

The Cotswolds are lovely.

Dadima123 Mon 12-Nov-18 16:21:06

As Merlogran says, East Anglia.
Nice villages around Peterborough, where you should get something nice for your budget.
Peterborough itself provides loads of amenities, easy access north/south, trains, etc,
It’s great to be somewhere rural, but access to amenities is important - doctors, hospitals, entertainment/ shopping etc that make life easier.

GrandmaFaye Mon 12-Nov-18 16:58:05

I live in the USA.

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Nov-18 17:48:25

Oh wonderful -which bit Faye?

marpau Mon 12-Nov-18 18:35:07

North Northumberland or Scottish borders

Kathjohn32 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:32:48

We moved to Beverley in East Yorkshire nearly 30 years ago when I transferred out of London. For the price of a one-bedroomed flat in a fairly rundown part of London, we bought a three-bedroomed semi on the outskirts of a very pleasant, very compact, mainly Georgian market town with the Yorkshire Wolds on the doorstep and the North Yorks Moors less than two hours' drive away. There are trains and buses to Hull (which has two theatres, a massive concert hall, art gallery which hosted last year's Turner Prize and fringe events), Bridlington and Scarborough. I don't know how the prices would compare today but we've never regretted it.

Jobey68 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:39:30

I can second Somerset, lived here my entire life. Rural yet central to all amenities and affordable. We are in a lovely village on the main A38 and can be at the motorway in either direction within a few minutes yet look out on to open fields from our house, perfect combination!

NanaandGrampy Mon 12-Nov-18 20:00:38

We moved a year ago from a bustling city in Essex to a small village in Norfolk.

Best thing ever!

Our village has all the necessary conveniences . You can easily get a property for under £200,000 depending what you want. Down the A11 or A14 corridor gives you easy access out of the county too.

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 20:02:48

Huh, no one has said Wales ! ???????

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Nov-18 20:52:16

And of course there’s wonderful Wales. Especially the south. (I’ve not been to the north!)

lemongrove Mon 12-Nov-18 22:08:49

Hmmn, let me see....how about Wales?
Always sunny and dry and someone singing somewhere ( but look out for dragons!)grin