Gransnet forums

House and home

Please recommend where you live!

(65 Posts)
paddysmum Sun 11-Nov-18 19:26:20

Just that really! Looking for inspiration for nice, fairly rural places in the UK to set up home when we retire. We have an interest only mortgage which comes to a end in a couple of years ( long story but had money problems and had to change to IO to get by.) Currently living in leafy village in Home Counties, where the only thing we can buy for our equity cash would be a flat which is a no no as we have pets- chickens and dogs. Not too fussed anyway as it’s becoming very built up around here so are beginning to plan for the future. We are fairly open to locations as DC are scattered around and don’t need us much. We have about £200k to spend which would leave money over for a doer upper and need one bedroom plus a garden. Any thoughts?

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Nov-18 21:43:08

I think the Coast Hopper now only goes as far as Cromer Pamela.

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Nov-18 21:39:20

Oh that looks lovely crafter. No contest!

craftergran Tue 13-Nov-18 20:45:20

yes Jalima, I think I would buy it myself if I had the funds LOL. We live a bit further north.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 20:27:56

I'm surprised that that hasn't been on Escape to the Country!

craftergran Tue 13-Nov-18 20:25:48

Just outside Lockerbie. I dont live there but 4 beds 190,000 looks pretty www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/45988410?search_identifier=3596e70b93d3cf60f10a3fb472ace762

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:51:14

I don't think you would find anything like that in NfK's link in Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire or Herefordshire for £200,000

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:06:52

Yep Nfk, not too far from the sea.
We are further west and the bus services have been rearranged so now only a service to Norwich or KL every 2 hours. That could make a difference to life after driving. Does the coasthopper go to NWalsham?

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Nov-18 15:41:12

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74789324.html

Like this?

merlotgran Mon 12-Nov-18 23:34:42

Plenty of properties on the Isle of Wight for that price range.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 23:25:22

but look out for dragons!
and road signs in Welsh!

Eloethan Mon 12-Nov-18 23:04:42

Sorry, just noticed your price range. Sussex probably not achievable except for possibly Worthing, Hastings, Battle, Littlehampton, Shoreham, Bexhill on Sea (and mostly flats).

Eloethan Mon 12-Nov-18 22:48:48

I'd choose Sussex (East Sussex and some cheaper areas of West Sussex). It's not by any means as cheap as many of the places mentioned here (eg Wales, Northumberland, East Anglia, etc) but it is still cheaper than many of the Home Counties.

Sussex has a very good climate and boasts the highest number of sunny days. There are lovely beaches, beautiful downs and some quaint towns and villages.

I don't live there now but, were it not for the fact that our family lives in London and Suffolk, we would move back to Sussex.

If you want to go somewhere much cheaper, I think I would opt for somewhere like Honiton in Devon or Swansea.

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 22:22:17

I understand,keeping the best untill last ? ???????

paddysmum Mon 12-Nov-18 22:14:32

We love Wales! We are country lovers and although I was born and grew up in London, I would never go back and just feel where we live now is becoming more and more built up and commuter belt, which we don’t want or need.
Loving all the suggestions, some of which I hadn’t thought of. Thanks so much. We’re in no rush but it helps to think through all the implications and have fun planning the future!

lemongrove Mon 12-Nov-18 22:08:49

Hmmn, let me see....how about Wales?
Always sunny and dry and someone singing somewhere ( but look out for dragons!)grin

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Nov-18 20:52:16

And of course there’s wonderful Wales. Especially the south. (I’ve not been to the north!)

Anniebach Mon 12-Nov-18 20:02:48

Huh, no one has said Wales ! ???????

NanaandGrampy Mon 12-Nov-18 20:00:38

We moved a year ago from a bustling city in Essex to a small village in Norfolk.

Best thing ever!

Our village has all the necessary conveniences . You can easily get a property for under £200,000 depending what you want. Down the A11 or A14 corridor gives you easy access out of the county too.

Jobey68 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:39:30

I can second Somerset, lived here my entire life. Rural yet central to all amenities and affordable. We are in a lovely village on the main A38 and can be at the motorway in either direction within a few minutes yet look out on to open fields from our house, perfect combination!

Kathjohn32 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:32:48

We moved to Beverley in East Yorkshire nearly 30 years ago when I transferred out of London. For the price of a one-bedroomed flat in a fairly rundown part of London, we bought a three-bedroomed semi on the outskirts of a very pleasant, very compact, mainly Georgian market town with the Yorkshire Wolds on the doorstep and the North Yorks Moors less than two hours' drive away. There are trains and buses to Hull (which has two theatres, a massive concert hall, art gallery which hosted last year's Turner Prize and fringe events), Bridlington and Scarborough. I don't know how the prices would compare today but we've never regretted it.

marpau Mon 12-Nov-18 18:35:07

North Northumberland or Scottish borders

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Nov-18 17:48:25

Oh wonderful -which bit Faye?

GrandmaFaye Mon 12-Nov-18 16:58:05

I live in the USA.

Dadima123 Mon 12-Nov-18 16:21:06

As Merlogran says, East Anglia.
Nice villages around Peterborough, where you should get something nice for your budget.
Peterborough itself provides loads of amenities, easy access north/south, trains, etc,
It’s great to be somewhere rural, but access to amenities is important - doctors, hospitals, entertainment/ shopping etc that make life easier.

KatyK Mon 12-Nov-18 16:04:30

The Cotswolds are lovely.