Gransnet forums

House and home

Multi cookers

(9 Posts)
Jane43 Sun 25-Nov-18 12:41:11

We are considering getting one of these. Does anybody have one and if so are they good or is it just one more thing to put away in the cupboard? The reviews are good but I believe there are now professional reviewers who review for payment so am sceptical of them.

Are they any different from pressure cookers or halogen ovens which we have had in the past and decided not to replace? We do have a slow cooker but Multi cookers seem more versatile.

Any information to help us make a decision will be gratefully received.

AnnS1 Sun 25-Nov-18 16:23:24

I bought the Argos cookworks version around £50. I had to replace my slow cooker so thought I would just get this. Best thing I bought last year. Use it almost daily. Easy to use and much safer than the old style pressure cookers from years ago. Recipe book that comes with it isn’t great but lots of info on line.

Juggernaut Sun 25-Nov-18 17:32:38

I bought an Instant Pot after recommendations here on GN. I think it was Indinana who made me think seriously about getting one.
I absolutely love mine, and use it at some point more or less every day.
The Instant Pot definitely has my recommendation!

Charleygirl5 Sun 25-Nov-18 22:09:02

Jane43 the problem with many of these is the sheer size of them. My halogen oven is huge so that, microwave, kettle and toaster take up one worktop surface and other items such as my slow cooker are in cupboards.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Nov-18 22:32:36

I bought a 8 in one cooker and it went right back didn’t get on with it at all might have been me but it wasn’t my cup of tea I actually burnt a chicken in it ( not sure how that happened)

Jane43 Mon 26-Nov-18 12:37:19

Thank you for the replies. Charleygirl5 we have had two halogen ovens and they were big and also very heavy because of the glass bowl. We also had the heating element fail after the guarantee expired and it was impossible to fit a new one, although they were relatively inexpensive the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. We will keep on thinking about it and one possibility is to get one from QVC and try it as they have a no quibble return policy, even if you have used it, I think it is 30 Days. I will remember to check the dimensions as well if we get one online.

glasstecwindows Thu 13-Dec-18 07:03:11

If you thought that multi-cookers were just another thing to clutter up your kitchen cupboard, One of these nifty products does the work of a roasting tin, slow cooker, pressure cooker, steamer and frying pan – all in one. Committing to one allows opportunity to cleanse your cupboards of unnecessary utensils.

Happiyogi Thu 13-Dec-18 11:15:18

I'm a big fan of the multicooker.
It is brilliant for rice! Also for soups and stews. I love that I can just put the food in and leave the machine. Wouldn't be without this "gadget".

MiniMoon Thu 13-Dec-18 11:37:57

My DD has one. It's never off!! She makes porridge for breakfast, putting the ingredients in at bedtime and setting the timer. It makes soup and tagines and all sorts of other one pot meals. She loves it.