Gransnet forums

House and home

Best place to buy a mattress?

(24 Posts)
fourormore Fri 30-Nov-18 10:10:44

Apologies if there has been a thread on this in the past - we went away for a few days last week and I had the best nights sleep that I'd had for months. I am sure it was the change of mattress.
Apparently the mattresses in the B&B were 1600 spring with memory foam and I was so comfy!
I have looked on line and seen ads on TV. They are available in many various places but at many varying prices. I don't necessarily want the 'cheapest' but I do want quality!
Has anyone any experience of buying 'on line' or from the numerous TV ads etc. with a good result? (Or a bad one for that matter!)
All our decent bed suppliers are several miles away but would it be better for us to go to one of them in person?
Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! flowers

HildaW Fri 30-Nov-18 10:30:24

Having learnt the benefits of a good mattress...I'd always recommend buying from somewhere you can actually see and lie on them. I went shopping for one a couple of years ago with a good idea of what I thought I needed. Was quite wrong....and lying on a few helped me make a much better decision.

tanith Fri 30-Nov-18 13:21:28

We bought ours from Dreams we spent ages trying them out the sales man just left us alone unless we asked a question and the mattress is super comfy.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 14:27:15

I've mentioned this before about my mattress/bed being a purchase in the late 40's ( by appointment to HM the King )
Solid oak iron-frame and a Dunlopillo mattress------still going strong and no aching bones in my body. No horrid springs poking through and no " dips " as it's as firm, but comfy,as the day it was bought. Dunlopillo mattresses of this quality cost a fortune nowadays and I hope it doesn't get thrown away when I'm gone. The headboards are large pieces of solid oak-----masterpieces by todays standards and built to last.

tanith Fri 30-Nov-18 15:03:13

Did I understand you correctly your mattress is over 70 yrs old EllanVannin?

watermeadow Fri 30-Nov-18 18:02:01

I bought a new mattress in Ikea a few days ago. Lots of information given and you can lie on them all. Mine cost £125 (single)
What amazed me was that they come shrink-wrapped and rolled up, so easily brought home in daughter’s car.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 18:27:21

Correct Tanith.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 18:29:13

A very heavy Dunlop mattress that you don't turn. I couldn't if I wanted to it's a two-man job.

fourormore Sat 01-Dec-18 22:31:14

Thanks everyone for your opinions - I am still stunned at the lifespan of EllanVannin's mattress - it sounds amazing and things were built to last in those days!
I have decided to wait until the new year before taking action and will then travel to a couple of places where we can lie on them and check them out. I must admit I was pretty convinced I want the same as we experienced last week but will defenitely take on board HildaW's experience!

Oliviageorge098 Fri 08-Feb-19 04:55:40

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TwiceAsNice Fri 08-Feb-19 10:31:21

Mattresses online sells very comfortable mattresses at reasonable prices. I’m very pleased with mine

Charleygirl5 Fri 08-Feb-19 11:50:05

I bought a memory foam mattress on line from Ideal World- I am sure there are others available and it was so easy to get upstairs. Luckily I have space because it was nearly a week before it was ready to be put on my bed. I had a memory foam mattress topper which I had been using previously and I popped that on also and I have not looked back since. Some mattresses in the shops are a horrendous price and although I live in London there is not a great deal of choice available in my neck of the woods.

craftyone Sun 10-Feb-19 07:50:03

my son and wife had an amazing shopping experience with dreams, had a mattress for a couple of weeks, they didn`t get on with it, memory foam was too hot. Dreams collected the mattress with great customer service and supplied another, which they love

craftyone Sun 10-Feb-19 07:54:18

BTW I personally have 2 hypnos singles with top quality mattresses. Brilliant to sleep on and now widowed and single they are very heavy to twist or turn, every quarter year. I can just about manage. 2 singles side by side, still, were brand new just before husband died, I reckon I have another 16 years out of these mattresses, one at a time. I look after them

grannyticktock Sun 10-Feb-19 17:55:22

I have recently bought an Emma Original mattress, basing my choice on Which? reports. I knew I was taking a chance as I hadn't tried it, but they say that you can try it for up to 100 days and if you don't like it they'll collect it and refund you.
Well, they're not getting mine back, I love it! It's made of various types of foam in different layers, and it's the most comfortable mattress I've ever had. Quite firm and yet totally supportive, very flat
and smooth with no bouncing or unevenness. I sleep really well on it.
They are not cheap but every so often they do an offer with, say, 30% off.

lemongrove Sun 10-Feb-19 19:38:07

We went to a local bed store and sat on and lay on various mattresses a year ago.
Am now doubtful that it helped at all really, and you can save a lot of money by buying online, so I would do that next time.
You do need to go for a lot of springs, and a layer of memory foam in it is good.There are many reviews online and plenty of info about the mattresses from the seller.
We change our mattress every eight years or so.

Suki70 Sun 10-Feb-19 22:27:50

Premier Inn hotels have excellent beds and pillows. They must have had many compliments and enquiries because there is a section on their website about them - they're Hypnos.

jeanie99 Fri 15-Feb-19 14:48:05

Ellanvannin

Our first mattress was Dunlopillo and I agree with you they are amazingly comfortable. We had ours almost 30 yrs the only reason for replacement was the cover wearing.
We certainly couldn't afford to buy one now.
We have a memory form now but it's not the sort you sink into and suits us perfectly.
I would never ever buy a mattress without laying on it.
You can get companies who give 3 months money back warranty if the mattress does not suit.

annep1 Fri 15-Feb-19 21:59:01

I think it's important to buy from somewhere that will give you a trial period because trying out in a shop does not necessarily work.

showergelfresh Fri 15-Feb-19 22:27:28

I bought a Dunlopillo foam mattress too 15 years ago but replaced it last year because I felt it was sinking a bit and I really wanted to 'freshen up'. It also had one of those springy slatted bases which are fussy dust collecting things - it all went to the tip as BHF are soooooooo particular. Oh well it was old.
I laid on lots and ended up buying a firm one from Next. It was by far the most comfortable! The more expensive ones were awful and the very cheap ones terrible.
The Next one is perfect - so simple - firm, medium and soft or maybe there's another like medium/soft and believe me I am fussy. I also bought a cheap low divan base online which is also perfect - half the height of an ordinary one - makes my bedroom smooth and uncluttered.
Next do lovely bedding too in great modern designs and colours with curtains to match. Not expensive but more so than Dunelm and much, much nicer IMHO!

Purpledaffodil Sat 16-Feb-19 01:54:58

Was going to buy a “bed in a box” online, but went to JL where they had something similar to try and found it dipped alarmingly when we sat on the edge before standing up. Tried a few others and bought a Hypnos mattress which we are very pleased with. Worth a trip to try it out.

Carolina55 Sat 16-Feb-19 10:03:42

IKEA for me after a whole morning testing different ones, chose one without memory foam as it makes me sweat (last thing a lady of a certain age needs!).

The bonus of a king size not needing to be turned and the sale price meant I had enough to treat us to a silk duvet which means I don’t overheat and have to do the sticking a leg out thing! 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is better than money in the bank as I get older!

nathan27 Tue 21-Jan-20 11:00:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ailsa43 Tue 21-Jan-20 11:59:32

Before anyone spends a lot of money on a Hypnos mattress, the ones used by premier inn, please read the bad reviews on trust pilot...

uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.hypnosbeds.com?languages=en&stars=1