Gransnet forums

House and home

kitchen blind

(14 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 04-Feb-19 11:33:17

My kitchen window is directly behind the sink so when the roller blind is pulled down sometimes it gets splashed when doing anything in the sink. It is starting to look unsightly now and i wondered if anyone else has found a way of cleaning a blind successfully.Its just the bit at the bottom really the rest is perfectly fine.

LadyGracie Mon 04-Feb-19 13:45:22

My daughter took hers down and soaked it in the bath in a biological detergent then hung it over a line to dry, it now looks brand new.

grannysue05 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:47:59

Like LadyGracie I washed mine in the bath with bio powder and it came out pristine.
In between I use a small soft brush and Fairy Liquid to scrub off odd marks.

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:13:13

Had this problem in our shower room, so when we changed the blind we went for a wipe clean vinyl which has been up about 18 months and it is very easy to wipe any splashes away.

Greyduster Mon 04-Feb-19 14:18:36

Ah, I knew there was a reason we should have kept our bath!

Tangerine Mon 04-Feb-19 15:34:19

Is it possible to not pull the blind down fully? This will avoid it getting wet and is what I do.

If there is an odd splash, I wipe it as soon as I see it with water and diluted washing up liquid. It seems to work.

travelsafar Tue 05-Feb-19 08:25:11

thanks for the tips will have a go with W/Up/Liq.

Harris27 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:32:15

Don't pull it down fully I have same problem and my husband works for well known blind company!

Shelagh6 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:46:56

I agree with Greyduster!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:30:55

As you haven't told us what the blind is made of, it is a little difficult to advise about cleaning it, but washing up liquid would be my bet.

Can you take the blind of the roller? If so rub washing up liquid on it, leave until dry then wash on a hand warm cycle in the machine.

4allweknow Tue 05-Feb-19 17:16:52

If the cleaning tips don't work, why not invest in a waterproof blind. I have them in the bathrooms and kitchen. Just a quick wipe with damp cloth is enough to keep them clean.

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Feb-19 23:47:04

I'd buy a new one they're not expensive and you can update your kitchen at the same time.

Hollycat Tue 05-Feb-19 23:55:20

I take mine down, unroll it on the tiled kitchen floor and scrub it with Vim. Comes up really well!

PernillaVanilla Wed 06-Feb-19 09:26:03

I have some plain grey ones from IKEA, very inexpensive and can be replaced if they get grease marks etc.