Gransnet forums

House and home

The Right Time To Move

(68 Posts)
NanaPlenty Sat 09-Feb-19 19:04:34

We moved into a bungalow four years ago. I'd had an inheritance which we invested and did a lot of work, we thought this would be our forever home. However now I'm finding that cost of,living increases etc. and also the fact that three of my four step children have moved abroad means we don't really have enough cash. (We have already had a small equity release). I feel no ties to where we live really. I would like to move nearer to my daughter who is in another county - she would like it too. I feel we could buy a smaller/cheaper property and release some cash which would then allow us to visit the other children when we wanted to. My husband is 66 and I know he misses them and I feel if we want to travel it's now or never. What's everyone's views?

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 19:09:53

Sensible idea, go ahead.

NanaPlenty Sat 09-Feb-19 19:13:40

Thanks Monica?

sodapop Sat 09-Feb-19 19:17:51

Sounds like the right thing for you Nanaplenty good luck. Just a word of caution, don't buy too small a place as there will come a time when you stay at home and need space.

Sparklefizz Sat 09-Feb-19 19:21:56

Sound advice sodapop. Good luck nanaplenty

Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 20:46:15

Go for it, definitely. ??
You’ve thought it through, have your health and will have money in the bank to enjoy.
What’s not to like?
All the best.

glammanana Sat 09-Feb-19 21:00:07

Go for it I certainly would the world is full of people saying if only I did that and never took the chance.
Just make sure any place you buy abroad is easy to resell if you ever have to return to UK.

Tangerine Sat 09-Feb-19 21:13:51

Sounds like a good idea to downsize and have the money to travel to your stepchildren.

You can't take money with you when you depart from this life.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:14:17

It sounds like an excellent idea.

However, do factor in the cost of removal, stamp duty etc, and ask yourselves how settled you are in your present location.

annep1 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:32:19

I think it's great that you both want to do it and its not one person driving it. Do it while you are able. If you think about it for too long , in a few years you might not feel able to cope with it and will regret it. J hope you're going somewhere sunny and warmer.

craftyone Sun 10-Feb-19 07:43:42

yes move closer but pick an area that you love, not just because it is closer because you will not be wanting her to feel tied to an area because you are there. Think ahead to more specifics like walking distances to shops and buses. I would think of this as your last move and if she wants to move elsewhere, perhaps with work, you need to be somwhere where you can establish your own group of friends

We did similar when I was 63, halfway between the girls, no-one felt tied down, 40 miles away from each one. Husband died and now I have to move again to be nearer those shops and buses, wishing we had thought of that 8 years ago

Anja Sun 10-Feb-19 07:59:08

Yes, do it!

wildswan16 Sun 10-Feb-19 08:12:59

Do it now, the only thing I would add is to make sure the area you move to is right for you - not just because it is near your daughter. You never know whether she may have to move in the future, so you need to be somewhere accessible with good facilities you may need.

Katyj Sun 10-Feb-19 08:18:41

Yes go for it.Just make sure your daughter is settled where she is, and maybe not move onto her doorstep ! The very best of luck flowers

PECS Sun 10-Feb-19 08:22:32

If you are both in agreement go for it! Sounds like a very sensible plan. As others have said check costs/ finances carefully so no hidden ' surprises.

annep1 Sun 10-Feb-19 08:52:07

Good advice about daughter possibly moving. Hadn't thought of that.

NanaPlenty Sun 10-Feb-19 09:54:23

Thanks so much everyone - I reckon 30 minutes from my daughter maximum would be fine and I have thought about what if she moves etc. It's great to find such good support and advice.

H1954 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:01:12

Go for it NanaPlenty, but do consider future proofing your living conditions just in case i.e. diasable access just in case one or both of developes mobility issues or consider a bungalow rather than a house. Sorry if this sounds a bit doom and gloom GNetters. But I do wish you the very best of luck!

anitamp1 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:14:20

Go for it. Sensible to downsize and move nearer your daughter. But just take into account the actual costs of selling and buying when you are looking at your finances. Good luck.

BGrannie1 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:14:30

Go for it, life is too short.
We're trying to move from SW Scotland to Yorkshire to be nearer to both daughters and their gorgeous young. (As they have their own businesses it is unlikely they will move) If we ever manage to sell this house we plan to stay in our caravan whilst we find our (hopefully) forever home.
My advice, like others, is take a bit of time check out that there is everything (doctors, shops etc) close by or within easy reach when you are not so mobile. Also that it is somewhere you will be truly happy - not a 'this will do' house
Good Luck!

mokryna Sun 10-Feb-19 10:26:50

Rent your bungalow out for a year and use the money to rent where your daughter is beforehand to see how you like it.

Lazigirl Sun 10-Feb-19 10:29:28

NanaPlenty this sounds like a really good plan to move whilst you are still fit & young enough to do it, and also to have spare cash to visit the children abroad. As others have said, do your research carefully about costs, house prices, where you hope to live, and facilities near by which is so important. (Fast forward 15 years in your head when you are planning). It may be a good idea if you sell your house, to rent in new area for a few months (if you can cope with the disruption) which will give you a good feel for the area and put you in a good position to buy.

GrammaH Sun 10-Feb-19 10:31:54

Soinds very sensible NanaPlenty, what are you waiting for?!?

Hildagard Sun 10-Feb-19 10:32:01

We downsized and bought a motorhome. There is definitely Romany in me we love it. And because we now only have two bedrooms, it acts as a third en suite bedroom when we have guests.

ReadyMeals Sun 10-Feb-19 10:41:08

You said it in your phrase "we don't feel any ties to here". That is the one reason I personally often advise against a move - that you'll feel homesick for what you left and feel like strangers in your new place. But you'd be leaving a place you don't have strong attachment to, in order to go to a place that's near someone you do feel an attachment to, and to my mind it has to be a no-brainer. But as you have said one of your main problems is shortage of money, then do make sure you do your sums right to be sure there really will be an ongoing reduction in outlay, especially after you've paid back your equity release and any other mortgage plus costs of house sale etc.