Gransnet forums

House and home

Fridge handle £158! ?

(19 Posts)
Marydoll Sun 24-Feb-19 19:05:47

It's still not fixed!
I claimed under the insurance policy, as it was so expensive.
I went online, gave very specific details of what was required, the engineer arrived and asked what the fault was! angry
Another week at least for the parts to arrived.
They then had the nerve to ask me to review my repair on Trustpilot.

Franbern Sun 24-Feb-19 18:52:58

Similar happened to me few months back. Handle came away in my hand - where the two screws that joined it to the door, they had worn away the holes in the handle. My Hotpoint fridge was 14 years old and I had been considering replacing it. When I discovered that a new handle was going to be over £50, it decided me and I treated myself to a new fridge - integrated handle this time.

SalsaQueen Mon 18-Feb-19 17:29:42

That's insane! I'd be inclined to buy a new 'fridge

Marydoll Mon 18-Feb-19 17:19:19

Why don't you contact them and ask. i think they do live chat.

RosieLeah Mon 18-Feb-19 17:09:52

Oh thank you. When I looked at AO online it said they don't deliver upstairs. However, it seems to be a common problem with so many houses being converted into flats, so perhaps they have changed their policy.

Marydoll Mon 18-Feb-19 12:59:16

AO delivered a fridge freezer and cooker to my daughter's flat, which was two floors up.

kittylester Mon 18-Feb-19 11:27:15

I think John Lewis will if you warn them. They delivered a big chair upstairs for us.

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-Feb-19 11:14:54

AO deliver upstairs because my son lives on the first floor, actually up 2 sets of quite narrow stairs and they were happy to take the fridge freezer into his kitchen for no extra charge. They do ask how many flights but it didn't affect the price.

RosieLeah Mon 18-Feb-19 05:35:29

I need a new fridge-freezer. I defrosted and cleaned my old one, looked on-line and saw one just right for my needs....but when I filled in the details, I found that the delivery men will not carry it upstairs. I live in a house divided into two flats and I have the one upstairs. I checked on other sites, and it seems they all have the same policy. There wasn't even the option to pay extra, which I would willingly pay. It seems they don't want my money.

Marydoll Sun 17-Feb-19 22:20:45

I thought DH had got the price wrong. I managed to find it at £134!

He is in the dog house! ?

BradfordLass72 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:18:24

Gerraways with yer! smile

A bit of plastic from a washing up bottle and some Duct tape and you'll save all that money.

annep1 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:08:23

Very expensive. Mine doesn't have a handle thankfully.

Auntieflo Sun 17-Feb-19 22:02:31

Glad to hear that your insurance will cover it, but was going to suggest E-Spares. They seem to cover most everything.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 21:58:36

That's absolutely outrageous!

Marydoll Sun 17-Feb-19 21:54:23

It's a Hotpoint, not some expensive American monster.

The insurance policy will cover it, thank goodness. Phew!!!

Marydoll Sun 17-Feb-19 21:52:26

I think it's platinum?

Jessity Sun 17-Feb-19 21:09:30

Might you look on eBay? I’m no fan but I think some small shops list on there and might have a lower mark-up. Also perhaps do a search in Google to see if that brings up anything. Always worth avoiding an insurance claim if possible.

Is the £138 handle gold-plated? wink

rubysong Sun 17-Feb-19 20:17:19

Crikey! No wonder my sister has a length of leather attached to her fridge door. I don't know how it is attached, maybe some sort of rivet, anyway it works and I shall now stop nagging her to get a 'proper handle' fired.

Marydoll Sun 17-Feb-19 19:54:25

Sorry, folks, but I just need a rant.
Last night, arriving late back from a wedding, DH went to get milk for a cuppa. He opened the the fridge door and the handle came away from the door and shattered. " Don't worry, we can order a replacement online", I said. (I was quite mellow! ?)

Today DH went to order one online, it was £158 !!! I thought he was joking!

How can a well known manufacturer justify that kind of money for a spare part? It would almost be cheaper to buy a new fridge. We are supposed to be cutting down on waste, not encouraging people to replace white goods unnecessarily.
Fortunately, we do have repair policy, and it will be repaired. I just thought it wouldn't be worth claiming, thinking that the handle would be (quite cheap) a reasonable price.