Gransnet forums

House and home

LV Home insurance - check your policy documents

(14 Posts)
Opal Wed 20-Feb-19 16:11:07

I received my home insurance renewal reminder last week from LV, and noted that their insurance conditions had changed to include a statement that any home alarm must either be fitted by an approved company, or be centrally monitored. My home alarm was installed 19 years ago by a qualified electrician, but I don't know if he was "approved". Neither is it centrally monitored. I called LV to inform them, they noted it on my policy, said there would be no change to my premium, and would send out the amended documents. Lo and behold, the documents arrived today, but with no amendments, i.e. if my house alarm didn't meet their "new" requirements, I wouldn't be covered in the case of theft or attempted theft. I called them today, and they confirmed that this was a new requirement on their part and that I wouldn't be covered in the case of theft!!! If I hadn't checked my new policy wording thoroughly, I would not have known!!! They certainly didn't bring it to my attention during my phone call last week, and have not made it glaringly obvious in their new documents, it's been slipped in to the second page of the confirmation letter in very small writing. Needless to say I have lodged a formal complaint, have cancelled my policy and gone elsewhere, but I think it is appalling that a reputable company has done this and not ensured that it is brought to the attention of its customers. I bet there are quite a few of their customers that will assume the security requirements have remained the same and will not now be covered for burglary because their house alarm does not meet the new requirements. So please please check your policy documents and ensure you have the cover that you think you have, and pay particular attention to the security requirements of your insurance company with regards to house alarms, window locks etc. etc. You may not have the cover you thought.

FlexibleFriend Wed 20-Feb-19 17:02:34

What about all the homes that have no alarm do they refuse to insure them against theft. Sounds mad to me it's not the same as leaving your doors unlocked.
I'm not with LV , I do have an alarm installed by a recognised alarm installation company but it's not monitored or maintained because every time they came to maintain it it would develop a fault within a fortnight, so I cancelled the maintenance.

Nandalot Wed 20-Feb-19 17:49:23

We have never declared to our 8nsurersbthat we have an alarm in case we are ever burgled when we have not set it because the cat refuses to be caught to be located in the less sensitive, pet zone area. Are you getting a discount for having an alarm? If not, why should it make a difference?

Opal Wed 20-Feb-19 18:12:06

FlexibleFriend - I asked them what they do for customers with no house alarm, and apparently they are given 28 days to have an alarm fitted, after which they won't be insured for burglary. I just don't understand why they can't quote for no alarm, or a non-monitored alarm. Surely the main reason we have house insurance is for fire or burglary, it seems like madness to me, and they certainly haven't been upfront about their changes.

Eloethan Wed 20-Feb-19 18:22:35

Is it that you get some sort of "preferential rate" if you have a home security system? It would seem quite wrong to me that people who don't have a security system cannot obtain home insurance.

Externally monitored systems can, I believe, be quite expensive and have ongoing costs. If insurance companies keep setting more and more stringent requirements, people will start to wonder why they are paying so much if the insurers will only cover events that are very unlikely to occur because of the measures householders have been forced to pay extra for.

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-Feb-19 18:57:34

Like Nandalot we have told our insurers that W e have no alarm.
They have accepted us so far.

FlexibleFriend Wed 20-Feb-19 19:13:21

I wouldn't use them tbh, most insurers that give a discount for an alarm insist it is maintained and tbh mine works better when it's not maintained and the discount is pretty rubbish anyway so why declare it. I certainly wouldn't have one fitted to please an insurer, the cost have having an alarm installed would cost more than a years insurance, just go elsewhere.

M0nica Wed 20-Feb-19 22:25:27

All our insurer insists on is window locks and security locks on the exterior doors. We do have an alarm, the installer is an approved installer and we have a maintenance contract, but we cancelled the central monitoring. Both time we had problems, the neighbours dealt with them long before the monitoring service got its act in order.

However I would definitely say, always read the provisions of a policy. Some years ago our insurer was taken over and at the end of the year the new owner of the old company assured us that our policy remained unchanged, but our premium fell a lot and this made me suspicious, so I compared the two policies and my suspicions were confirmed, despite what the new company said, the policy had been changed and all sorts of changes, had been made, each reducing the policy coverage.

craftyone Thu 21-Feb-19 06:35:45

Another minefield. I am moving soon to a new build and do not want an alarm. Had an alarm once and it was a pain in the derriere. Even then the small print said that the house was not covered for burglary if the alarm was not switched on at night

Thanks for the heads up, LV was on my list of potential insurers, not now

Oldwoman70 Thu 21-Feb-19 07:44:23

My LV policy is due for renewal next month - I will be checking the small print very carefully - thanks.

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Feb-19 07:54:33

We were refused home insurance once because we had wooden doors! They would only insure UvPC. We are with the AA and very satisfied.

jeanie99 Thu 21-Feb-19 08:44:17

Yes very worrying I can understand your annoyance.
It just goes to show that we need to read the small print.
Insurers will do anything to get out of paying out for a claim.

We had a big claim some years ago against Saga for a flood £43,000. They did pay out but I had a project manager liaising with the insurers and workman so it was straightforward except for the 9 months it took to get the property back to what it was.

adams1980 Wed 08-Jul-20 20:18:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adams1980 Wed 08-Jul-20 20:20:20

Hello, thank you for highlighted this. I think this is common behavior for most of the insurance companies