Gransnet forums

House and home

Electric kettle with dispenser

(21 Posts)
Cdeva1977 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:07:47

I have been thinking of buying kettle with dispenser but not sure if it will be same as kettle. Please let me know if any one has or used it

Bellanonna Tue 05-Mar-19 22:32:24

I don’t know what one is, Could you please describe it?

tanith Tue 05-Mar-19 22:51:01

They do look handy but the cheaper versions don’t have any control over the cup/mug size being used although they do have a drip tray for overflows. I do sometimes use a teapot but wonder if it would be suitable to fill a teapot.
I also make gravy sometimes in a jug with hot water from the kettle not sure if that would be possible either.

Jangran99 Wed 06-Mar-19 00:38:54

I think this is a Breville Hot Cup, Bella.( Sorry I've never learned how to do links) It dispenses a cup/mug of boiling water.I've used one for years but also keep my kettle for when I need to fill larger containers. They are economical for small amounts as only a cupful is boiled at a time.
Tanith a small teapot fits under the spout also a jug, so if I'm making gravy I simply boil 2/3 cups.

Jangran99 Wed 06-Mar-19 00:43:38

Forgot to mention the safety aspect. I originally bought one for my Mum when her arthritis made lifting a heavy kettle dangerous, as she always over-filled it. That's when I realised its advantages in my own kitchen.

tanith Wed 06-Mar-19 07:27:25

Thanks Jangran99 that’s very helpful

shysal Wed 06-Mar-19 07:36:42

A bit more info here. Looks like it is filled from a jug and holds enough for a number of cups.I have a bad shoulder and am wondering if I might buy one.
Breville Hot Cup from Asda

tanith Wed 06-Mar-19 07:41:26

I just watched a video on qvc it did 9 cups, I might ask for one when the kids ask what would I like for my birthday ? or if my kettle gives up the ghost.

JackyB Wed 06-Mar-19 08:12:04

Sounds a brilliant idea. My sister has got a mini kettle which our mum can lift to hold under the tap but when I visited recently I noticed that she was starting to have trouble lifting a full cup. With one of these the carers could fill it once a day and she would never have to lift more than a small cup of tea. Not sure we could teach her to use it, though.

tanith Wed 06-Mar-19 08:23:02

JackyB as long as it’s filled it’s just press one button so very simple

dragonfly46 Wed 06-Mar-19 08:33:25

I have a quooker which dispenses boiling water so the kettle went in the bin!

DanniRae Wed 06-Mar-19 08:38:21

This is off thread but reading that posters use hot water to make their gravy I just wanted to say "Aren't gravy granules great?" (Especially 'Bisto Best' - delicious grin)

FlexibleFriend Wed 06-Mar-19 10:49:35

I've had a breville one cup for a few years and love it, my kettle is now redundant. You can vary the amount of water you boil but tbh mine is left on the highest setting which is for a mug. I bought it because my joints are falling apart and could no longer lift a kettle. I have the one with the filter in so scale is no longer a problem either. Think it came from Amazon for about 54 quid.

Cdeva1977 Wed 06-Mar-19 11:08:56

Thank you everyone this will help me to make my decision. Very very useful input from all

RosieLeah Wed 06-Mar-19 13:11:59

Interesting information. My kettle is showing its age and I was debating whether to buy a hot water dispenser when I have to replace it. Sounds as though it's a good choice.

shysal Wed 06-Mar-19 13:14:12

Of course a cup of water heated in the microwave would do the job!

Gonegirl Wed 06-Mar-19 14:41:17

I agree with DannieRae.

Bellanonna Wed 06-Mar-19 23:08:57

Thanks for the explanation Jangran

Jangran99 Wed 06-Mar-19 23:19:27

You are welcome ladies. Coopers of Stortford(sp?) do a version of this too .

Franbern Thu 07-Mar-19 17:55:27

There are various types of these hot water dispensers. For last two years I have had a cheapo one, Did the job, but had no filter, and no way of changing heat settings, and had to watch it to ensure did not have cups spilling over. Even so, it was so very useful, hot water always immediate, used it for percolated coffee, making gravy, easy to use with t.pot and saucepan. Kept a small jug and filled it from cold water tap regularly.
I have recently had to replace it, as it started dripping, bought a much more up market one, filter, four different heat settings, so I can do my black tea, green tea, instant coffee etc. at heat recommended for them. It dispenses three different volumes, so no more having to worry about me flooding the worktop. Love it - I find using a kettle difficult and potentially dangerous for me. This is absolutely safe, and very instant. This time I have gone for a 4 litre container, so only need to fill it (with jug) usually once a day.
Does look a little more like the the Flight Board of The Enterprise to use, but once used to it, find it surprisingly easy and quick.

DigitalJan Wed 27-Mar-19 21:24:46

Do you mean a hot water dispenser? I have and it’s brilliant, absolutely recommend. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists so can’t manage a kettle.