Gransnet forums

House and home

Decorating, how does he manage to............

(19 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 12-Mar-19 11:13:24

Eventually hubby has started to decorate our bedroom, we have moved lock stock and barrel into the other bedroom. He has a clear room now and the decorating is just emulsion to walls and ceiling and then gloss the woodwork. He has had the added task of painting the inside of our floor to ceiling fitted wardrobes, what I would like to know is, how come there is white paint drips on the stair carpet and wet paint in a cupboard in the kitchen that he hasn’t even been in. He is a perfectionist, but in so being, does make rather a long winded job of everything, he has just mentioned, he has cut away the edges of the carpet (as suggested on another thread by GNers) and he is disappointed that the floor boards go the other way around so he cant take the floor board up......why does he want a soxxing floor board up, just paint the damned ceiling and gerron wi it. I am of course on my ipad, resting!...

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 11:15:42

Well, at least he started kateyk!!

lemongrove Tue 12-Mar-19 13:17:58

katey what a hard taskmaster you are! grin
The reason there is wet paint in the kitchen cupboard is that he went in there looking for a KitKat mid morning.

Bathsheba Tue 12-Mar-19 13:26:13

Well at least he hasn't done what my DH did, when decorating the bedroom some years ago - climbed up the step ladder and promptly knocked over the paint tin that was sitting on the top. A full 2.5l tin of paint all over the carpet ?

That is to say, at least your DH hasn't done that yet

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 13:35:34

This thread has reminded me of the time we lived in small Shropshire village and DH was wiring in some wall mounted bedside lights. He still maintains that the whole village suffering a power cut was a coincidence! grin

M0nica Tue 12-Mar-19 22:29:16

I am the family decorator and I can get paint anywhere, including on clothes that are packed away in a wardrobe in a room I did not go into. There is nothing in the house (and garden) that is too small for me to some how to get paint on, even if all I am doing is painting the bathroom.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:02:20

I am only allowed to do the sanding down as, if I am allowed to paint, it dribbles along the handle of the brush, up my arm and somehow gets anywhere it shouldn't.

If you dislike painting, it's quite a good trick to use grin

Kateykrunch Wed 13-Mar-19 09:38:18

Well some of these made me chuckle!, I had even taken some advice from you lot when I posed a question on my decorating thread, but realise that perhaps ‘some’ of you are as bad as he is! We now have paint on the steps outside the house and it is day 4 since he started (he likes to mask up!!) and he has painted the interior of the dusty fitted wardrobes so far.........this may take a while ?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Mar-19 19:53:00

We now have paint on the steps outside the house
It's very difficult not to get paint on your shoes …..

DH does the decorating under duress and I am a very messy decorator.
One way to get him to do it is to start and make a mess of it.

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Mar-19 16:13:11

The only way to get DH to do any decorating was for me to start paper-stripping.....
In the present house DD and I did it together as if we waited for DH it would never get done.
These days I get a man in now, as DH passed away last year, and DD is now married and has her own house to worry about.

Kateykrunch Tue 19-Mar-19 19:00:50

He has finished!, well nearly.....the squeaky floorboard, has been drilled and screwed and various other things, I have just walked in to inspect, yes, you guessed it......and the floorboard squeaked, a little worse than it did before his repair.....any fixes for squeaky floorboards anyone?

Lavabawl Thu 28-Mar-19 10:31:32

I think that would be a great idea to order a wall picture printed on canvas. texelprintstore.com/collections/world-maps-wall-art/1-panel service makes perfect art works!

Sophiasnana Fri 29-Mar-19 15:25:26

Haha. I feel your pain. My hubby is exactly the same. Makes a brilliant job of it in the end, but takes soooooooo long, and is so fussy about things. Last week he decided to begin to gut the utulity room and decorate, and replace the shower room. In spite of the fact we have my niece and her three children arriving to stay next week! Aaaaaaaggggghhh.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 29-Mar-19 15:38:44

I loved my dear late husband but he wasn't so likeable when he was decorating. One year he decided to wallpaper the bedroom with 'Novamura' which was incredibly stretchy. Trying to match the edges was more than a bit tricky. Up it went by the electric socket, down he pulled it, up again and so on. Up and down more times than a whore's drawers.
After several attempts he got so mad with it he ripped it off, screwed it up into a ball and jumped up and down on it! Arrrrggghhh!
"Never mind, stop now, it'll all look better in the morning," I tried to soothe, to no avail. He was determined, I'll say that for him. "You'll laugh about this tomorrow." wine

bikram2019 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:41:28

hi, i have gone through your post and other relevant comments on your post. i know a website where you can find solution to your problems. I suggest you to plz have a visit to the site. Plz click the below link
decorative panels for walls

nanasam Sat 13-Apr-19 12:11:23

I have this problem, not with paint but with marmalade!

I find it all over the house - kitchen handles, front door, you name it. Can't recall the number of times I've had to wipe it from the keyboard. I even found some on the steering wheel of our car. confused

Oldwoman70 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:25:58

About 2 years ago I was going away to visit family abroad and two nephews kindly offered to move in, do some odd jobs and decorate the hall and kitchen. Apart from paint on drawer handles, door handles and inside the under stairs cupboard I am still coming across tiny paint spots in other places - the back of the wall clock in the sitting room, inside my bookcase (not to mention on the books) amongst others.

ayokunmi1 Sun 21-Apr-19 11:14:08

Tee hee hee

Sara65 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:09:14

When my youngest was little I bought this beautiful Osborne and Little wallpaper for her bedroom, and left my husband home to hang it. On returning, I found that he’d failed to match the pattern, just hung it as it came! It all had to be stripped of course, and was quite a costly mistake, the most annoying thing, was that he couldn’t see anything wrong with it! From then on, I got in decorators!