oh gosh yes Niobe, a neighbour from my previous home, opposite not next to me, she got mice and they got into the space beteen inner and outer house layers, eco and filled with paper insulation. Could have been a rat but the pest people were dreadful and rat/mouse is still there. The builder went bust having just bunged a massive deck into the deep soil behind her house, no protection to the supporting timbers, wet soil against wood. You can guess what is happening to the wood now and the decking itself is raised a good metre above the soil with supporting timbers inaccessible and in the soil. It is almost in a dangerous state. She only started to maintain it last year after 8 years, too little and too late
I had decking, was still in good condition, laid properly and I maintained it every single year. Paving is much more durable and would be my only choice every time
I have sanded the bench with wire wool, did it properly this year, all sides and have hosed it, ready for the oil, which I hope arrives early tomorrow. I may wait, I need a window of about 72 hours and it will take some weeks to cure fully, trick is to use very thin coats, or it will remain sticky