Gransnet forums

House and home

Breadbins

(24 Posts)
Franbern Sun 31-Mar-19 09:26:19

Why is there so little choice with these? In my bread bin I keep a loaf of bread, packet of matzos, bagels, and fruit buns for toasting. Also, my butter dish. At present I have one with a second shelf. It is a quite tall, it has a roll cover, whích often comes out and is not really efficient. Would like to replace it - but find this is the ONLY type which is 2-tier. Seems strange that there are not more two-tier bins.

Fennel Sun 31-Mar-19 10:32:04

I keep bread etc in the fridge. a habit I had when in France because things got mouldy so quickly there. Cakes as well.
Also infestations of pantry moths.
Lakeland sell a few, but not 2 tier.

Teetime Sun 31-Mar-19 10:45:01

Loads of breadbins at Wayfair.

EllanVannin Sun 31-Mar-19 11:07:23

I find that bread sweats in breadbins so I keep it in the fridge, for what little I use. I've got a heavy teak one with a close-fitting lid but I keep my medications,etc in it.

FlexibleFriend Sun 31-Mar-19 11:07:45

I keep my bread in the fridge too.

Nonnie Sun 31-Mar-19 11:08:18

We keep our bread in the freezer and take out slices as and when needed. The only times we have a whole loaf out are when the family is here and then it is kept in the fridge. I suspect there is so little choice because not many people use them.

shysal Sun 31-Mar-19 11:17:10

I have such a tiny kitchen that my microwave doubles as a bread bin! Obviously I have to wait for it to cool down after use, but it is only occasionally used to warm food. I thought I had read somewhere that bread goes mouldy sooner if kept in the fridge.

MiniMoon Sun 31-Mar-19 11:29:37

I'm afraid to say that my bread is out on the worktop beside the toaster. I didn't replace my last bread bin because the bread didn't keep well in it.

M0nica Sun 31-Mar-19 11:45:14

Look on ebay. Hundredsof different typesof breadbins.

Niobe Sun 31-Mar-19 11:51:22

Like Nonnie we keep bread (sliced) in the freezer and take out what we need as we want. There are only the two of us and a loaf lasts us about 10 days . I can't remember the last time we had a bread bin, over 30 years ago I think.
However I have sometimes seen nice ceramic bread bins that I would like to have sitting on my worktop but I would not use them for bread so I have managed to avoid buying one but EllanVannin's idea if using one to keep our medications in is tempting!

aggie Sun 31-Mar-19 12:01:05

I make bread in the breadmaker then slice and freeze , it goes mouldy in my bread bin !

Vonners Sun 31-Mar-19 12:04:13

I don't like having stuff all over the worktop so keep my bread in a cupboard. I don't recall seeing breadbins in stores recently but a quick Google shows there are loads available although not many have the shelf inside and if it was me, I'd like to see it before buying rather than get online.

aggie Sun 31-Mar-19 12:16:49

Gosh that has reminded me that I kept the bread in a cupboards in my last kitchen ! It never went mouldy , it was a slim cupboard with one shelf above the counter where the toaster sat

craftyone Sun 31-Mar-19 18:23:00

I bought a small one in john lewis, several years ago. Similar to the house brand but slightly better and there were more colours then. I packed it away for moving and it was very useful for spare poly bags as well as bread etc. I have done without it for weeks, taking whatever slices I want out of the freezer in advance. I did like that breadbin a lot but it could well also be useful in a bathroom without storage. I don`t believe I would give up any of my future small amount of worktop space for a breadbin, its a shame

Happiyogi Sun 31-Mar-19 20:54:11

I've been using one of the wax wraps to store bread in over the last year or so. I'm pleased with it, as it only means storing a loaf-sized thing rather than a bulky bread bin.

Franbern Mon 01-Apr-19 10:20:04

surprised as to how few of you use breadbins. Would no be without mine. As I say, not just bread in it - and I keep a small wooden tray on top which contains things like jar of Earl Gray tea, jar drinking chocolate, jar of green tea, etc.
I have given up trying to find anything much different to the one I have, but have ordered one (Amazon), which i hope is better quality than my present one (which I did purchase when I was doing volunteer work at a Charity shop!!! It will be thoroughly cleaned up and returned to a different charity shop when my new one arrives.
Do not like keeping bread in fridge - slices never seem as fresh as when kept in breadbin. As for keeping it in freezer, I tried that on advice of BiL few years back. Fine if you only use if for toast, but I do like a nice fresh slice of bread at times.
Next to my bread-bin is my toaster and a cutting board. All in one place and easy to access.
I do know that current practice is to keep kitchen worktops nearly totally free of anything - never did understand this, - to me they should have often used items easily available to use at all times.
As I have just put my house on the market, I have cleared lots of items off the worktop and put into cupboards - know it will mean that I will not bother to get them out to use.
I have a long galley kitchen with worktop both sides running the full length. At present 'all' I have on them is microwave, electric steamer, toaster, hot water dispenser, electric egg boiler, bread bin, halogen oven.

David1968 Mon 01-Apr-19 10:25:25

We have (and use daily) my mum's lovely old-fashioned white enamel bread bin, with blue lettering and a lid. It must be at least 70 years old. Perfect for storing DH's home baked loaves. (I blench at the idea of storing bread in the fridge. That would be heresy in this household!)

sunseeker Mon 01-Apr-19 10:48:20

I used to store bread in the fridge but found it dried out very quickly (even when double wrapped). Most bread bins are too big for a one person household so I now use a small plastic container which fits on my cupboard shelf and keeps the bread fresh.

gillybob Mon 01-Apr-19 10:55:42

If I were rich I would have this one .

www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/25683642168742175?lsf=seller:80823,store:14024783636366708136,lsfqd:0&prds=oid:6585826031962482102&q=Bread+Boxes+%26+Bags&hl=en_GB&ei=xd-hXOO3Nem71fAPjdOZ2As&lsft=s_kwcid:2dxLIA-HOME,tmad:c,tmcampid:2&lsft=gclid:EAIaIQobChMIzJKNhtCu4QIVj6_ICh0AkQ3FEAQYBiABEgLUUvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds

gillybob Mon 01-Apr-19 10:56:32

Blimey what a long link address for such a small item .

craftyone Mon 01-Apr-19 12:24:50

I make sd bread, have done for over 40 years, love it best lightly toasted. Freezer is absolutely fine for sd, sliced, ready for the toaster. SD is best to use after 2 days maturing. I bought a tiny breadmaker last year, a loaf for 1 or 2 people, zojirushi. It has a small footprint and the bread stored fine in the breadbin. These days it is all about making life easier, cutting corners and making max use of small worktops

David, that old enamel breadbin, perfect

grannyticktock Tue 02-Apr-19 11:28:15

My wooden breadbin has a lid that hinges at the bottom, so when you drop it down, it rests on its knob (snigger snigger) and forms a breadboard. I don't know why there aren't more like that. It's not large, though, it'll only take a loaf and a packet of muffins or similar.

Although the fridge stops mould growing on bread, it also makes the bread dry out and grow stale faster than at room temperature. Freezing is better, as it halts the staling process.

Franbern Fri 12-Apr-19 11:49:52

Gillybob, I have the biscuit barrel which is the partner of the breadbin on your link. Must say it is good and has a proper airtight fitting lid which keeps biscuits fresh for a good time. When I bought it I paid £25.00 and remember feeling quite guilty at paying out so much money for such an item. The main problem with this breadbin to me, is that I am not sure it is a good enough size for me to store all that i do in a breadbin.

overthehill Sun 14-Apr-19 17:50:50

I have this only in black. Nice and large with air tight seal everything keeps fresh for a long time