Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen taps with a pull out thing!

(25 Posts)
phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 10:18:33

Hello all,

Mr P has decided that we need a new tap as the old one is looking a bit tatty.

He is rather drawn to those ones with a pull out house thingy. A friend says that they are dirt traps and difficult to keep clean confused

What are your thoughts, grans?

ninathenana Sun 14-Apr-19 10:23:06

I'm inclined to agree with Mr. P all those ridges to scrub. Quiet pricey too if I remember correctly.
On the other hand they do seem useful,. I'm interested to read what someone who has one thinks.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 10:41:33

nina it's Mr P that is keen on having one, I'm the one with misgivings! smile

Hopefully someone who has one can advise. I've had a look on a couple of sites and some of them aren't mega expensive. (Some are though!)

The only thing I'm sure of is that I would like to have those china handles, iykwim.

Chewbacca Sun 14-Apr-19 10:43:56

IKEA had quite a good selection of kitchen taps Phoenix, including the extending ones and the ones with ceramic handles. I've virtually lived at IKEA lately, can you tell?

Beechnut Sun 14-Apr-19 10:49:24

This isn’t really helpful to you phoenix (although it might be!). When we needed a new tap DH wanted one of these and I said “No” because I just knew it would get pulled out and pointed at me followed by much laughing...me..soaking wet clothes ?

nanasam Sun 14-Apr-19 10:51:21

I have one of these taps which can be set as a spray or soaker. I'm able to fill the hot water dispenser/kettle thingy without having to drag the whole thing over, I can swish over the draining board and wash down the sinks very easily. I wouldn't be without it now.

2 negatives, though. 1) You should make sure the hose comes out of the tap straight. Didn't realise this until my hose was frayed. 2) You need good water pressure for it to work properly. Ideally, we'd've included a pump.

Hope this helps.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 11:06:41

Thank you all, food for thought.

I'm not sure if I will get Mr P into Ikea again, after last time! blush

Niobe Sun 14-Apr-19 11:09:39

It does all depend on the main part of the tap, when we bought our house it had a tap with a pull out how thing and, as others have said, it was great for swishing round the sink to clean it and I thought the spray was brilliant for rinsing lettuce a delicate fruit such as raspberries. However the main part of the tap looked like a spring and was hellish to keep clean. When we replaced the kitchen I had to find a tap with the pull out hose and a smooth main bit. I found one but it did cut my choice of handles. However it was definitely worth it as keeping it clean is a breeze. We got the tap and kitchen from Wren.

Charleygirl5 Sun 14-Apr-19 11:11:15

phoenix it may be different if it is something he wants and also it is easy to carry.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 12:49:03

Niobe do the taps have ceramic handles? I've looked the Wren website but can't find the taps you describe (if you could provide a link I would really appreciate it!)

Charleygirl I think I will have to settle for a trip to either B&A or Homebase, unless of course I can find at least one other item that we "need" from Ikea!

Fennel Sun 14-Apr-19 13:03:20

We had those in our last house. Useful to spray around the sink area. Or when rinsing out a big cooking pot.
No problems with hygiene.

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:15:19

We have just replaced out tap with a pull out hose, a boiler function and a water filter. I love it but was pretty pricy.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 13:35:38

As mentioned on another thread, we are doing the kitchen revamp on a budget, so those taps that produce boiling water are not an option!

As Mr P is at work 5 days a week, and I'm working 3 days, I think it would take a very long time to recoup any money saved by not boiling the kettle!

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 13:54:27

Niobe having looked at various sites, I think I now know what you mean!

So, if we go with a pull out thing, then it's important to choose one that doesn't have the springy thing on the outside!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Apr-19 14:02:53

We have one of these (franke) it is extremely useful and easy to clean.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 14:14:27

Right, I've now got a pretty good idea of what we're looking for!

Mono bloc

Pull out spray thing

2 ceramic handles

Now all I have to do is find it................confused

Fennel Sun 14-Apr-19 14:51:08

Ours didn't have the water boiling option and wasn't all that expensive.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 15:32:11

Thanks Fennel does it meet the criteria listed up there ^?

I don't think I'm going to find one that meets all of them (although it does *have to be monobloc, as I'm my prepared to replace the sink, which has only one hole) so a compromise will probably be needed.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 15:33:20

Oh heavens, I'm NOT prepared to replace the sink!

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:37:50

Love ours that came with the house. I regularly did it for a couple of hours in a tall and slim container I fill with cheap white alcohol vinegar. Brilliant.

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 16:40:26

PS. If anyone can find a tap that meets the criteria listed, I will be very grateful!

Charleygirl5 Sun 14-Apr-19 16:45:45

Have you looked at Ebay and Amazon? I find the former, on the whole, cheaper.

Niobe Sun 14-Apr-19 17:26:14

Phoenix, sorry mine don't have ceramic handles , just stainless steel. Keep looking and googling! I am sure they must be available somewhere!

bikergran Sun 14-Apr-19 17:44:51

Screwfix do a lot of plumbing stuff taps etc

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 20:08:59

Good to see you have a grasp of all the technical terms Phoenix as do the rest of us because we know exactly what you mean.
Do we remember the days when we just had a hot and cold tap, no other variations available.