Gransnet forums

House and home

Water Meter

(17 Posts)
overthehill Sun 14-Apr-19 18:08:53

We are now the owners of a fully functioning water meter.

This wasn't our choice as DH likes to drain the reservoir watering his plants. Still we have no choice, it was put in two years ago and now we have to pay for what we use.

It does have the effect though of making me scared to turn on the tap. I am far more aware of what we are using so it is working.

In preparation I'd already starting filling two mugs of water to put in the kettle rather than boiling what wasn't needed.

BWM (before water meter) I would always turn tap on full to do anything but now realise that isn't necessary. DH washed the car today and he turned down the pressure on the hose and noted the floor wasn't swimming in water as before.

Shame we not quite as conscientious using the the gas and electric.. although we do try

phoenix Sun 14-Apr-19 19:23:29

Having bought a new build in 2005, a water meter came as a non optional item!

TBH, I'm quite happy with it. There are 2 of us, in a 3 bedroom house, so we literally pay for what we use, which seems fair.

We have friends, also a household of 2, but live in a much larger house than ours.

They are reluctant to have a water meter, so their water bill is based on the rateable value for their home!

They pay far more each month than we do, and we are not stingy on water, both have a shower each morning (and I will sometimes have the odd evening bath too!) do several loads of easing each week, and even clean the car once in a while!

kittylester Sun 14-Apr-19 19:28:46

We had a water meter fitted and use water exactly as before and our bill is still half what it was.

Having said that, we are making efforts to use less from an ecological point of view.

chaffinch Sun 14-Apr-19 19:32:06

I think everyone should have a water meter. You pay for whatever gas and electricity you use, why not water? Fairest way and encourages economy.

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Apr-19 19:38:21

Well we haven't got one and don't waste water. Why would we? confused

Tartlet Sun 14-Apr-19 19:42:56

Because you could probably save money? We're not stingy with water but our bill is half what it used to be.

I think the question is why wouldn't you? Most if not all water companies offer a trial period with the option to have the meter removed if you're not happy with it.

MiniMoon Sun 14-Apr-19 19:47:23

We had a water meter installed three years ago. What a difference it has made to our water bill. I am much more conscious of how much water I'm using. We try not to flush the toilet every time we use it, and I wash the dishes by hand instead of in the dishwasher when we are just out two selves, as we don't use many! Having the meter does make you think.

chaffinch Sun 14-Apr-19 19:48:45

Maggiemaybe.
The OP said her husband liked to “drain the reservoir watering his plants”. That’s why water should be metered.

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Apr-19 19:56:03

Because we're on the lowest council tax band, Tartlet. I have used the online questionnaire provided by our water company and apparently we would probably have to pay more if we had a meter installed. Borne out by the experiences of others on our street who have had meters installed and now pay more.

chaffinch, most people seem to be saying that they pay a lot less once they have a water meter installed, so if they're wasteful by nature I can't see how it's going to change their habits. Fortunately I don't think most of us waste anything just for the fun of it.

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Apr-19 19:58:38

I think you misunderstood my answer to chaffinch anyway, Tartlet. I was asking why we would waste water, not why we would fit a meter.

kittylester Sun 14-Apr-19 20:04:40

Dishwashers are much more ecologically sound that hand washing.

annodomini Sun 14-Apr-19 20:32:10

I had a water meter in my last house which was a considerable saving on water bills when I was on my own. When DSs and girlfriends came to stay for any length of time, the bills mounted. I moved to my present two-up/two/down end terrace and asked the water company of I could have a meter and they told me that it wouldn't be worthwhile, given that water rates are based on what was once the rateable value of the property.

M0nica Mon 15-Apr-19 19:54:17

We have had a water meter for over 30 years, I cannot remember what it was like not to have one. It do not think it affects our consumption, we were never very profligate with water.

It is no different from gas and electricity. Long before smart meters DH bought one of those 'Owls' that monitored electricity consumption and that just confirmed what we already knew that we used scarce resources carefully.

JenniferEccles Tue 16-Apr-19 16:25:50

I believe the thinking is that if there are fewer people than bedrooms in a house, then a water meter would work out cheaper.

We inherited one when we moved here some years ago, and our water bill is not too high at all, and this despite the fact that my husband using the sprinkler on the lawn regularly in the evenings last Summer.

M0nica Wed 17-Apr-19 14:55:25

DD had a water meter fitted in her flat. It wasn't until he had finished the job the fitter realised he had fitted it to the hot feed instead of the cold feed. He decided that it wasn't worth undoing the job and redoing it properly so the only water she paid for was the water that went through the hot water tank.grin

midgey Thu 18-Apr-19 08:23:50

Severn Trent run a scheme called Watersure, if there are people on various benefits, with young children, or certain medical conditions the bill is capped at a certain level. Not sure if other companies run the same.
www.stwater.co.uk/my-account/help-with-account/i-have-a-low-income-but-my-water-usage-is-high/

Franbern Thu 18-Apr-19 09:28:08

Before I moved into my present 3-bed, terrace house, I lived nearby in a large 5-bed, semi. With a water meter there I was paying nearly half of what the non-metered water bill was in this house. One of the first things I did when I moved was to apply to have meter fitted. I also had a water butt put in and use that for watering patio pots, etc. I am careful, not stingy, with water. As, due to medical conditions, I still prefer baths to showers, I did have a shorter bath fitted, perfectly okay for me, I use a hot water machine for drinks - only heats water required. Do not run the tap whilst brushing my teeth. Treat water like my other fuels, use what is necessary, but try not to be wasteful.
As my medical conditions also put me into the 'watersure' group, I have been registered with this with Thames Water for a long time. Yes, they do cap the bills, but at such a very high amount, that I have never come anywhere even close to having to pay that amount. However, being registered with them does give me priority in the event of any sort of water shortage. So, last year, when a nearby mains water pipe had continual problems and water was being cut off, I had a visit from a charming lady who gave me six large bottles of water.