Gransnet forums

House and home

Need a new vacuum cleaner

(13 Posts)
fizzers Wed 17-Apr-19 12:19:07

I need a new vac, looking for recommendations - or more importantly, ones to avoid! I prefer an upright, bagless, have got pets , so needs to be pretty good, preferably lightweight but sturdy and inexpensive as I don't have a lot of spare cash. thanks

kittylester Wed 17-Apr-19 12:20:23

Not sure what you mean by inexpensive. I've just had a new Shark and its brilliant.

Nandalot Wed 17-Apr-19 12:34:14

Second the Shark. I bought on for my daughter too as they are so good. Only thing is they have a small dust container and I am amazed to see how quickly it fills up. However, I find it quite satisfying emptying it because I think what a good job it is doing. Also easy to empty u like my old dyson.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-19 15:02:11

Bought an upright (very light) bagless Vax at the charity shop for £6 ...love it I love a bargain I love recycling

Maggiemaybe Wed 17-Apr-19 15:18:32

I have a Vax Air 3 Pet and it's great. It stopped picking up properly last week because the filters were in dire need of replacing and dust had clogged the innards - the poor thing was choking. Seeing as we've had it 6 years and never changed them, this was understandable. blush A good clean down and £13 worth of filters installed and it's as good as new.

crazyH Wed 17-Apr-19 15:29:48

I have a Vax Air lightweight...love it

fizzers Thu 18-Apr-19 09:47:11

I've had a Vax before, might look at them again. Currently have a Hoover and will never buy one again,oh BlueBelle I love recycling too

Gransooz Sun 21-Apr-19 02:01:57

Just saw this post. I’m a bit of a standing joke with vacuums. I have a dyson in the garage, a dyson hand held in the utility, a Gtech upstairs, and the best one - the Shark lift away. It’s better than any dyson I’ve had, the Gtech is okay for a quick run over but I wouldn't really recommend. Two points with the shark though are - it has quite a small bin and needs emptying more often but that’s not really a problem to me. It also has a shorter hose and tips over if you overstretch it. But I still would recommend it. I had just used my Dyson when I got the Shark but couldn’t wait to try it and I was amazed at what it lifted out of the already vacuumed carpet! The dyson was relegated to the garage - hubby uses it for the car. I don’t though. I would take the shark out and use it. Good luck with your hunting. Our Curry’s store lets you try them in the shop. Might help.

Katyj Sun 21-Apr-19 08:51:17

Hi, i've had my shark upright for three months now and it is very good, although as previously said it does need emptying frequently, but that just proves it's efficiency.I would see if you could have a demo first, as it is a bit fiddly changing from upright, to lift away for the stairs and skirting boards.

craftyone Sun 21-Apr-19 16:55:55

What about good solid henry for around £100. People swear by him, he eats anything and is very powerful

wot Sun 21-Apr-19 17:02:56

Shark upright (£149) is really good with amazing suction.

Ohmother Sun 21-Apr-19 17:08:23

I praised the GTec k9 and bought 2 for my family and another handheld for me until they stopped working. Rubbish (pardon the pun) help from GTec.

I now have a Shark liftaway. I LOVE it’s versitilaty and power! I noticed my family have also changed their vacuums as well.

Henry with the extra power brush was OK but they always tended to smell after a while.

2 medium dogs and a cat by the way.

Gonegirl Sun 21-Apr-19 18:46:07

I have tried various cordless ones. Got a Dyson V8 at the moment. It needs emptying all the time, and doesn't pick up all the bits. I've gone back to using my Miele corded now. I like that you can whip off the floor tube and use the hose to get down sofa cushions and get dead flies off window sills.