Gransnet forums

House and home

So we are biting the bullet...

(5 Posts)
evianers Mon 29-Apr-19 15:29:20

Leaving early Thursday morning for a house-hunt in UK after 44 years absence. Are we very brave, or very foolish?
Time will tell of course. Looking in Shaftesbury and Gillingham Dorset as well as Ferndown Dorset where everything seems to be fairly calm in the general scheme of things, and prices are reasonable compared to other areas nearer London.
Perhaps it's a good idea we would not be too close to our DS and DGDs. Anyone out there who lives in these areas, please let us know soonest what we might look out for.
Many thanks in advance.

HildaW Mon 29-Apr-19 16:14:39

Good luck evainers. May I suggest you do a bit of planning. With so much info on internet you could draw up a list and a rough route to do some 'drive bys' first. Driving around in ever decreasing circles soon gets wearisome. Its amazing how good some properties can look but once you see them in their setting....even if you have been on Google maps....they can look so very different. We spared ourselves a lot of time by doing this. We were amazed how many people came and viewed our property (wasting both their time and ours) without first having checked on roads, distance from nearest town or size of garden....all things you can get from Rightmove etc.
Good luck and build in some good coffee & cake stops!

mosaicwarts Tue 30-Apr-19 09:58:02

Good luck, I hope you find somewhere you love.

Flooding is now something I am taking into consideration when I move and should be investigated. I have a friend that lives in Hamoon in Dorset - she has to go a long way round to work when the river overflows.

I've gleaned a lot of useful information from this site to put on my 'tick list' when I move - walking distance to shops/doctors, on a bus route for when I'm no longer confident driving etc.

Enjoy your visit!

evianers Tue 30-Apr-19 16:17:43

Huge amount of information can be gleaned from www.findahood.com, meaning neighbourhood, with all the pluses and minuses involved. Invaluable. Grateful for the information disclosed on this excellent website. It gives breakdowns on age groups, religious groups, housing sales etc. etc. Mine of information.

Nonnie Tue 30-Apr-19 16:52:16

I'm a fan of Rightmove. Once you have done a good survey of the area you can draw a map of where you would like to live and get updates on new properties coming on the market and any which have been reduced.

I always took a compass with me as I want a sunny garden. Don't know Dorset but all the usual stuff applies: bus routes, walkable shops, doctors, dentists, social life. Then the things to avoid: anything noisy, likely planning issue, pollution, flooding etc. Also, do the surrounding properties look well maintained?

There are various websites where you can find all sorts of statistics including crime in an area.

Much will have changed in all that time so do you think that, once you have found an area you like, renting for a year might be a good idea?

Good luck. I love house hunting and would offer to help if you were coming here.