Gransnet forums

House and home

Induction Hobs

(26 Posts)
Franbern Tue 30-Apr-19 10:33:27

If my move to my new flat really takes place, I am thinking about Induction Hob. It does have a brand new Ceramic hob fitted. I have never, ever previously had anything other than gas hobs, so will need to learn a new way of cooking - and feel I should go the whole hog and get that changed out for Induction hob - for safety etc.
So, as much advice as possible on these.
One of my daughters has a new one, which she loves, and showed me when I was visiting. They got that in Ikea - she said paying for a more expensive one is good practice as the cheaper ones can cause problems.
So, any recommendations for makes here, AND....then there is the new pots and pans.
I am beyond the stage of cooking for dinner parties, but will require a set of saucepans and a couple of frying pans. Any advice on best place to get these and the sort of cost involved? Need to be as light to pick up as possible and with well fitted lids.
Be grateful to hear peoples comments and recommendations.

HildaW Tue 30-Apr-19 11:07:46

The house we recently moved to was equipped with a new Bosch induction hob. They look very much like ceramic hobs and clean just as well. The main difference is just how quickly they get up to heat. I noticed that with some things....heating some milk for coffees it was almost less time than microwave. As to saucepans, on checking the specifications of the ones I already had on manufacturers webpage I found that they already complied. I believe quite a lot of decent modern ones do. I too hate all these heavy pans that are about so had bought myself a set of Easyglide Neverstick from John Lewis. Not cheap but there are sometimes offers about and they come in a good range of sizes.

craftyone Tue 30-Apr-19 11:22:58

3 different houses and three different induction hobs.All efficient, heat straight into the food. I have a 4 ring hob now and can stand a wooden worktop cover over 2 rings because the heat does not spread. Any pan has to be able to allow a magnet to stick to it. The hobs are very economical to run

Tartlet Tue 30-Apr-19 11:25:48

I found that most of my existing saucepans worked on my new induction hob and was forced to replace very few but it has to be said that some of them worked better than others (measured by speed). However, having used some whilst on holiday, I've just bought a set from Ikea (the ones with glass lids) and they are excellent.

I think the test to see whether your pans will work on induction is to see whether a magnet sticks to the bottom of them. If it does, you're in luck.

paddyann Tue 30-Apr-19 12:00:18

thanks for the tip tartlet was considering an induction hob for our new house(if we sell this one ) and I have loads of good pots that I would hate to part with.I'm off to try the magnet on them now.

PamelaJ1 Tue 30-Apr-19 12:03:00

I love mine.
Do buy one that is a standard size. I had a lovely Electrolux one but when it went wrong we couldn’t find one the right size to fit the hole. Lucky you DH trained as a carpenter and has all the gear so could cut a bigger one.
I guess that is a tip that transfers to all types of hub.

RedRidingHood Tue 30-Apr-19 12:10:42

If you're used to gas they take some getting used to though not as much as a regular ceramic hob.
Given the choice I'd have gas any day.
I have no gas so had electric hobs for 30 years and an induction for 7.
Pros - it heats the pan up quickly and is not hot to touch.
Cons- I find it difficult to simmer gently, it's not possible to have as fine control as a gas hob. I have burnt a few things, milky sauces in particular.
As to pans, you might find your old ones work if you do the magnet test. Otherwise the weight test is crucial if, like me, you have arthritis. I can't live my frying pan one handed sad.

Nandalot Tue 30-Apr-19 12:31:46

Love mine. It is so much faster and so much easier to clean, even than a ceramic one. I think that’s because the rings aren’t actually hot. Remember, you can’t have one with a pacemaker.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Apr-19 12:42:35

Most stainless steel pans can be used on an induction hob.
Some iron frying pans and enamelled pots with an iron base work too.

You can use a magnet to test them. If the magnet adheres to the base of the pan, then it is fine on an induction hob.

It is really easy to get used to one when you have been used to a gas stove. I was very dubious when we made the change, but I wouldn't go back to gas now.

RedRidingHood Tue 30-Apr-19 12:50:09

Remember, you can’t have one with a pacemaker
Oh good point! There was a possibility of me having a pacemaker which would have meant a new job as well!

Doodle Tue 30-Apr-19 12:50:24

Brilliant. Easy to clean, fast heating and quick cool down. I bought news pans from John Lewis. Very pleased with mine.

RedRidingHood Tue 30-Apr-19 12:50:35

Hob not job......

MiniMoon Tue 30-Apr-19 12:59:56

I'm on my third induction hob. The first, in my previous house, and two here. My current hob is by Caple. I bought it in Curry's, and it hasn't let me down yet. I wouldn't have anything else now.
(I've never lived in a house with gas appliances).

Craicon Tue 30-Apr-19 13:16:16

I love Induction hobs. My current one’s an AEG. They’re brilliant.
I’ve never understood this preference for gas as gas pan stands were always a faff to clean. You just wipe the induction hob with a damp cloth mostly.
Also, the touch control allows settings from b which is the fast boil setting (faster than my electric kettle) then 9 down to 1.
For a simmer just select a number of 5 or less.
I’ve had most of my Anolon pans for a few years now.
The only thing you need to remember to switch off the hob or turn off the ring when you’ve finished cooking. I left a metal pan lid on a live ring once for about 5 minutes before I remembered to switch it off. blush

Nonnie Tue 30-Apr-19 13:38:12

Not read the above so sorry if I duplicate. Most of our pans were OK and the hob tells you if they are not so no need for research. DH loves it but I am sure it hates me! Never mind DH cooks

SueDonim Tue 30-Apr-19 14:02:33

I cooked on gas for many years but after seeing an induction hob at a friend's house, changed over when my kitchen was redone. I'll never, ever, go back to gas!

It's quick, easy to control, safe (apart from the aforementioned pacemaker) and clean. Mine is a Bosch and must be about 10yo now.

It was a great excuse to buy new pans and I have Tefal non-stick ones, which are brilliant. There is much more choice of pan now than 10 years ago.

TerriBull Tue 30-Apr-19 14:21:09

I have an induction hob, yes unfortunately they are not compatible with all types of pans and we did have to offload some quite good ones when we acquired it. However, apart from that downside, no regrets and really wouldn't want to use anything else now, I did cook on gas once and thought I would never want an electric hob of any sort before I was introduced to induction. Mine's a Bosch, inductions are pretty instant as far as heat is concerned, easily controllable and just a wipe over they don't leave those nasty baked on marks that I've seen on their ceramic counterparts.

Yes go for it Franbern smile

nanasam Tue 30-Apr-19 14:58:02

I have an AEG, which is great, but it required its own hard wiring, just like a cooker. The plug-in hobs simply can't cope with the huge amount of Kw used on the 'power' setting and cut down the temperature of all the rings if more than one is used at full power. Chat to your electrician.

annodomini Tue 30-Apr-19 16:19:28

I've seen and used one in my son's new kitchen and I'd love to have one, but could I really justify the cost when I have a very efficient gas hob?

jeanie99 Tue 30-Apr-19 23:12:25

Wouldn't change mine for anything, it's great and so easy to keep clean.
I did have to purchase new pans though.
My daughter and DIL also have them fitted.

dragonfly46 Tue 30-Apr-19 23:18:59

Love mine. It is a Miele. I find it heats up very quickly with the boost function or can simmer at very low temperature. One good thing if you forget when it is not in use it turns itself off.

Jangran99 Tue 30-Apr-19 23:39:32

Mine is a Stoves induction hob and I love it! I had gas for 40 years but would not contemplate going back, reliable, controllable, easy clean.I was lucky my pans were compatible, not so my frying pans but found great ones in T K MAXX (Meyer)

1inamillion Tue 30-Apr-19 23:52:23

Had a gas Hob for 36 years, but decided to go for an induction hob when we had a new kitchen 6 years ago. It heats up really fast and is so easy to clean. It is great when browning meat for casseroles or frying as you can put kitchen roll over the pan to stop splattering. Most of my pans were induction friendly, except my copper bottomed ones which were a wedding present.
I can simmer on number 1 or 2 just like the low flame on a gas hob. DD has an induction hob and DiL wants one.

TwiceAsNice Wed 01-May-19 08:13:16

Mine is Zanussi and I love it. So easy to control and a quick spray and wipe and it is sparkling again. I did have to have new pans but my daughter has just bought the new glass topped Ikea saucepans and they are compatible with induction jobs and very reasonable in price

Franbern Fri 03-May-19 09:30:30

Thanks for all help and advice here. Have definitely made up my mind to change that new ceramic hob for an induction one - assuming I actually do purchase that flat. I knew that none of my present saucepans or frying or frying pans would be compatible.
However, that is a great reason (excuse) for having new ones - and if I make the move will suggest to my children that a new set of saucepans will make a great 'moving in' pressie.
If it gets to the point of me really moving (exchange of contracts), then I will contact the company who have fitted the brand new kitchen there and ask if they could exchange the ceramic hob for an induction one. I assume they will be able to re-use a brand new unused ceramic hob, so, hopefully, they may give me some money off.