Gransnet forums

House and home

Home Insurance and rip-off averted!

(42 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 30-Apr-19 11:02:06

What is it with the rip-off mentality of big corporations?

Our annual renewal notice arrived yesterday with a near-on £100 increase from last year.

So I phone - well known bank - and the conversation goes like this:

Me: I'm phoning about the huge increase in our HI tariff this year.
Bank employee: Blah blah blah ..."based on post code, risk" blah blah blah.
Me: Well I am not paying that amount for home insurance.
Bank employee: Have you shopped around for a better price?
Me: No, but of course that will be my next call.
Bank employee: Okay you can have it at the same rate as last year. shock

Moral of the story is, if you don't ask or check or complain, you will be ripped off.

What a bonkers system.

HildaW Tue 30-Apr-19 11:11:25

It is bonkers but its standard practice and I think has a recognised term. Its basically banking on some peoples' complacency and laziness. We always have a good look around for rates often before a policy is due so that we are forearmed!

MamaCaz Tue 30-Apr-19 11:25:20

Had the same thing last year with my mum's plumbing/water pipes insurance. The well-known company soon lowered it to the previous year's amount after a few minutes haggling on the phone.
Well, it would have been only a few minutes if they hadn't needed to get my mum, 120 miles away, on the phone at the same time to give them her consent.

Same thing with her phone/broadband a month ago. Mum didn't know that the deal she had been on (all previously dealt with by my late dad) had ended until the bill shot up 33%.
I checked some other companies' deals and, armed with their prices, contacted her provider, who soon offered a new contract on more or less the old price.

I hate having to do it, but it seems to be the only way to avoid being ripped off!

EllanVannin Tue 30-Apr-19 11:27:56

I must have been lucky as my bank informed me by letter that they had a better deal with my contents insurance as well as the premium being cheaper too.

Grannyknot Tue 30-Apr-19 13:34:05

You were lucky EV.

The Government or regulator or some other "high up" should address this blatant RIP-off practice. I think of it as a form of corruption. angry

Cherrytree59 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:43:54

Grannyknot well done!
But next year check out the opposition first, as they may even be cheaper than ur existing insurers.

Robbing blinders

mosaicwarts Tue 30-Apr-19 13:53:28

My house is listed so my choices are limited and my insurance had gone up by over £100. I rang the broker who found another quote for £50 less but still too much. I was with Saga years ago and tried them - I've managed to save £130 and the standing order is only a bit more than last year.

All this financial juggling is hard isn't it. More on ebay today, although I find the new selling changes annoying!

Grannyknot Tue 30-Apr-19 15:44:08

Thanks, Cherry I hadn't thought of that smile

M0nica Tue 30-Apr-19 20:22:46

I do not give companies a second chance. Who wants to insure with a company who tried to cheat me by overcharging? If they will cheat on that they will cheat on anything.

If I think it is too much I look to see if I can get it cheaper and if the small print of the coverage is the same - you need to watch that - I move without wasting time negotiating them down.

jeanie99 Tue 30-Apr-19 23:17:27

Standard practice, it does not pay to be loyal to a company.
If you can receive a better deal with another company go with them and don't give the renewal company a second change.
At some point these companies will learn not to rip off loyal customers.

callgirl1 Tue 30-Apr-19 23:33:19

My husband never queried any insurance renewal prices, just paid up. A couple of years before he died, daughter 3 took us in hand, and saved us a small fortune over a few different insurances, including the car. She`s still doing it, thankfully.

jaylucy Wed 01-May-19 09:42:38

Loyalty means nothing these days - you'd think that once you had been with a company, you'd get a discount but no, you're more likely to be charged double!

grannyactivist Wed 01-May-19 09:48:21

I recently changed from our usual insurers and got a better policy that was several hundreds of pounds cheaper.

Riverdaffyd Wed 01-May-19 09:55:50

My son was in the same position, phoned and the price reduced. The following year - a huge rise. He phoned, and was told that as he had a discount the previous year they were not prepared to reduce it! So watch for that!

maxdecatt Wed 01-May-19 10:07:38

Turn the tables. Six weeks before your renewal is due contact the insurer (if you have had no claims in the last year). Tell them that given your claims history you are prepared to renew with them at a rate that is 10% lower than you have paid them to date. They will try and haggle, so then you negotiate a decresase of "only" 5% or you will go elsewhere. 90% of the time you will win a decrease....the other 10% will be their offer to renew at the same as the old rate. Remember, you are the customer and they need you a lot more than you need them.

Camelotclub Wed 01-May-19 10:31:24

We're stopping our private health insurance as it's gone up by 40% and they won't negotiate, nor with our broker! Probably to do with age and the fact I had major surgery last year but I was grateful that I only waited 2 weeks for it while NHS patients wait months (hip replacement).

We're going to put money away in a savings account instead.

vickymeldrew Wed 01-May-19 10:33:33

When your renewal is due just check details on a comparison website. Existing insurers will more than likely match that. Job done !

Annaram1 Wed 01-May-19 10:45:18

I have managed to get British Gas to reduce my new price increase for water pipes etc. by several pounds but not as much as I would like. I have also managed to get the estate agents selling my flat to reduce their commission by £500 by threatening to sell via another agent. Don't just pay up!
Also have looked into reducing my home and car insurance via Compare the Market and its amazing how much I can save for next year.
Also the same with my private health insurance. Have a much better deal now.

Ashcombe Wed 01-May-19 10:47:13

For three years, my landline and broadband have been with My Post Office. When my renewal was due, they wrote to me, inviting me to ring to negotiate a deal which I did and ended up with 50% off what I would have paid. This was as a reward for my loyalty. A very good and fair deal!

Blinko Wed 01-May-19 10:47:33

Camelotclub can I suggest you consider Benenden. £10.25 per month per person. Check out their website www.Benenden.co.uk

Gaggi3 Wed 01-May-19 11:01:21

DH spends quite a lot of time on the phone when renewal comes up for various insurances ( luckily calls are free). He quite enjoys it, the other people not so much. I can remember the time when I did renew with the same company each year, as there was no increase, but that was quite a while ago.

Tinker18 Wed 01-May-19 11:11:05

I have haggled or switched all my bills and I have saved over £2k a year

Lock Wed 01-May-19 11:12:28

Have a look at Money Saving Expert, founded by financial journalist Martin Lewis.
Www.moneysavingexpert.com

There is a wealth of information on the site, both by Lewis and his team and by posters on the forum. They are very good at flagging up good deals on things like insurance or how to navigate the system effectively.

Highly recommended.

Hymnbook Wed 01-May-19 11:59:15

For years l was paying £300 plus for house insurance. I was told to shop around l went with another company it went down by 200 pounds. The next time when they increased it and charged more for excess l went with age UK now l pay less than £100. I can't believe l was paying all that extra money for so many years. Just think what I could have done with it.

Katekeeprunning Wed 01-May-19 12:11:22

I was renewing my husband's health insurance - they quoted £3,255.73 and I got them down to ££1,832.15 by removing dental and psychiatric cover. All insurances are a complete scam imho