Gransnet forums

House and home

Odour in fridge freezer

(11 Posts)
Rosieroe Wed 01-May-19 10:18:02

There is a strange ‘chemical’ odour in our Beko American style fridge freezer. The freezer side has a non-plumbed ice-maker. We have had it for 3 years (2 yr warranty!) and it has worked perfectly until about a month ago when I first noticed this smell. I also find it is tainting the food in the fridge e.g. Lurpak spread and mild cheddar. I can’t use the ice any more either. I took a glass of iced water up to bed and when I took a sip in the night I had to get up and clean my teeth and use mouthwash as the taste was so awful. I’ve cleaned the fridge out thoroughly and also set a saucer of baking powder inside.

My husband thinks I exaggerate the problem but admits to a faint odour. We called at the store we purchased the ff from but they’ve never heard of the problem and say it can’t be a ‘gas leak’ as the gas is completely odourless.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 10:31:05

Our fridge is plumbed but has a filter - is there a filter involved in yours?

Rosieroe Wed 01-May-19 12:14:21

There’s just a small charcoal filter.

EllanVannin Wed 01-May-19 13:13:40

I know I wouldn't be happy about it and would have to find out if this " problem " has been reported before. I'd even go as far as writing to the manufacturer until I got a satisfactory answer.

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 13:37:01

Ours has never smelt but are you supposed to change the filter?

I'd ring Beko or look on their fb page. Or see if there is anything on the internet.

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 13:39:54

www.beko.co.uk/support/how-to-guides/refrigeration/how-to-remove-unpleasant-smells-or-odour-from-your-fridge-freezer

Try this!

Rosieroe Thu 02-May-19 12:59:08

Thanks Kitty. Have been doing that. Filter instructions are to take it out and air dry which we did. I have been on internet searches and then thought here would be a good place to ask for advice. Now to buy a fridge deodoriser.

tiredoldwoman Thu 02-May-19 16:37:37

I'm finding that cardboard egg boxes seem to have a smell , nothing was broken or soiled , the cardboard just smelt. I put all my eggs in one nice bowl and the smell disappeared .

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-May-19 16:19:41

If all else fails, try putting some baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) into a saucer and putting that into the fridge. It should get rid of the smell and prevent food from being tainted.

Use a bottle or a jug with a lid for water.

I was told years ago to clean the fridge with bicarb. in water and never to use washing-up liquid in the fridge as it could leave a smell. I don't know if it is true, but my old auntie swore by her way of cleaning the fridge.

rosecarmel Sat 04-May-19 17:07:07

I've no idea how a fridge works, but do know that odors in it circulate AND that usually there is a culprit/source but it can be difficult to detect after the stink gets into so many other things from egg crates to ice cubes to unsealed items, basically anything porous even paper labeling on glass made - So when it happens I clean out the whole thing, wash the outsides of all containers, make new ice cubes, toss any questionable foods and then place several boxes of baking soda towards the back of the fridge -

Nothing permanently gets rid of what to me smells like water that's been sitting and collecting odors from the fridge, it has sort of a chemical and food mixed together "scent", sort of like the chlorine from the water from the tap mixed with produce market smells - After cleaning the fridge out it goes away but eventually comes back -

Alexa Sat 04-May-19 19:58:29

I suppose that some stale food smells are strange chemical smells. I'd put a bowl of ground coffee beans in the fridge or freezer or both. Don't use the coffee for drinking afterwards!