Gransnet forums

House and home

Too much grey ?

(64 Posts)
Katyj Sun 05-May-19 09:23:47

Hi, were moving house shortly,fingers crossed.We will need new flooring and furniture.The lounge has patio doors straight out into the garden, so thinking, a laminate floor covering, or similar in grey.Also wanted grey sofas, but would this be too much of the same colour ? and then of course we will need to decorate too. Don't want it too be cold look either although it is south west facing, it is very light and airy.Any ideas, much appreciated.

JackyB Sun 12-May-19 07:21:50

We have had a light grey wall-to-wall carpet upstairs for ages now (well over 20 years) and it really needs replacing. We have had a couple of goes at looking for something different, but even light beiges, and honey-colours don't seem to be as versatile for mixing with different colours for the different rooms.

I would go with grey again, but I found a little notebook kept by DS1 when at primary school, in which he had written "Least favourite colour: light grey"!

However, as for the original question - as others have said, a grey floor and grey lounge suite is the perfect basis for a lovely selection of bright or pastel colours - cushions, curtains, vases, pictures, pouffes can all be in contrasting colours to pep it up.

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 19:21:19

Phoenix
I think I sounded snappy! I didn’t intend to, I know it’s an expensive option, but worth considering if you can’t find what you’ve looking for

Katyj Sat 11-May-19 19:08:34

Purple. That sounds lovely.I've had duck egg paint, and Laura Ashley wallpaper, for the last twelve years and loved it, it is my favourite colour. Just feel in need a change, but know I won't love grey as much, going to have to choose an accent colour I really like.

Purpledaffodil Sat 11-May-19 17:41:42

Dulux do a computerised paint matching machine. We matched kitchen units with eggshell paint to repaint dresser, sorry they were dark grey but look amazing with oak flooring and curtains in duck egg 50s style pattern. Not very good with innovative colour schemes, so don’t mind if it is considered on the way out. Go for it Katyj

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 17:27:37

Yes I know Phoenix, it can be expensive, but i don’t make a habit of it, just occasionally when I want something specific

phoenix Sat 11-May-19 17:21:41

Could be an expensive option, and beyond the budget of many, Sara65?

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 17:17:41

Katy
If you can find a local furniture maker, they will make the furniture to your specifications, and spray paint it in absolutely any colour you wish, my latest one is teal

oldgimmer1 Sat 11-May-19 16:57:32

I paint all my furniture in whatever colour- and paint it again when I get ed up!
Pre-painted furniture seems really expensive for what it is.

Katyj Sat 11-May-19 14:22:01

What colour did you choose Sara ? I've found a furniture company that does painted furniture in ten different whites, but they all seem to have light oak tops. This is not getting say easier confused

Sara65 Sat 11-May-19 10:35:17

I’ve overcome the dreary furniture problem, by having it custom made, and painted in my choice of colour

varian Sat 11-May-19 10:33:12

I suggest grey flooring, and possibly grey sofas, but white walls and curtains. You can then inject colour with rugs, cushions, throws, pictures, plants and flowers.

The white walls will make the room far lighter and feel more spacious than light grey, cream or manolia and you can easily change the look with different accent colous.

oldgimmer1 Sat 11-May-19 10:01:07

I love grey, but even I've had enough now!

I've got dark charcoal carpet (for practical reasons), mid grey furniture, walls in Warm Pewter (grey)! and cupboards painted black. Oh, and grey curtains.

I've got some silver in the accessories, and a bit of aubergine in the soft furnishings.

I need new furniture and all I can get is - grey. Or beige/ brown which is even more uninspiring.

OP at least decor is temporary. Dulux have a colour visualiser which you can play with online.

Otherwise try Pinterest or Houzz for inspiration.

Katyj Mon 06-May-19 12:02:59

Oh thanks for that Rosie.Something to consider.

Rosiebee Mon 06-May-19 09:51:37

We had pale grey sofas, grey carpets when we refurbished house. Curtains were Laura Ashley ones with poppies and we added cushions in various shades of red. BUT, have also had to add several throws to sofas as the sofa fabric has to be protected from colour transference and yes we all wear jeans. Even some throws couldn't be used on light furniture according to label. I still love the look of grey but maybe should have gone for a different shade or fabric.

hereshoping Mon 06-May-19 09:10:02

Whilst house hunting, we visited a house that was decorated through out in grey and I was surprised at how well it worked.

NanaPlenty Mon 06-May-19 08:45:25

I didn't like grey but now have my snug painted grey, grey sofas and chairs. I've added yellow blinds and timminge and I now love it.

Suki70 Sun 05-May-19 23:06:21

Like 4allweknow I was told recently by an interior designer that grey has had its day and that colour is in, together with other neutrals. As maw suggested, a beech or light oak floor would be less likely to go out of fashion and provide a suitable neutral background for other furnishings.

Alexa Sun 05-May-19 21:24:56

Anaraml, all that white sounds gorgeous. Lucky you!

Evie64 Sun 05-May-19 20:45:26

Splashes of red in the form of cushions, pictures, blinds etc. look great with grey.

lmm6 Sun 05-May-19 19:56:50

Depends a lot on how much light you can let in. We have huge windows and our grey kitchen and grey floor look great. Team grey up with bright green or shocking pink and it can look fantastic. But it actually goes with almost anything. Botanical print cushions or wallpaper goes with it too. However if I lived by the sea I'd probably go for blue and white - depends a lot on your style of house. Textures are important - some matt, some shiny. You need a mixture.

Day6 Sun 05-May-19 17:58:16

Just as black ash furniture was a trend decades ago, and almost everyone had it - it went out of fashion. Sadly, most grey houses look like they have been cloned. I think it has had it's day.

You need a good eye to balance out greys. I have seen some very tasteful rooms painted grey, but others that look rather dull and dated already because - well, it's everywhere.

However, I love decorating projects. My tastes are quite eclectic. If a look becomes 'common' - in that it is everywhere - I avoid it like the plague, but that's just me... and we all like different things, so have fun and I hope you love the finished room.

Willow500 Sun 05-May-19 17:37:14

We have grey sofas on oak laminate with grey checked curtains. The wallpaper on one wall is white with silver/grey pattern and the rest of the walls are white - we have grey rugs. It's broken up by the oak furniture and doesn't look too much at all. You can add an accent colour such as pink cushions and flowers - purple and aqua also go. Grey is a great colour palette to work with.

Good luck with your move.

Katyj Sun 05-May-19 16:45:30

Hi, Grandtante.The room is 15ft by 13ft with a patio door and a window, it is very light and has venetian blinds at the door and window at the moment, with no curtains which helps it look bigger, but maybe a bit stark.

Sara65 Sun 05-May-19 16:31:05

M0nica
I agree about home magazines, I subscribe to one of them, and barely open it any more, just a sea of grey, I used to pounce on it to get ideas , but so dreary now, it’s currently sat on my coffee table unopened

marionk Sun 05-May-19 16:24:17

I have grey walls, sofas and rug on light oak floor and have accessorised with orange notes in the curtains and orange cushions - love it.