Gransnet forums

House and home

£2000

(108 Posts)
DoraMarr Thu 09-May-19 19:55:47

What horrible rainy weather! I’m sitting here, glass of wine in hand, contemplating putting a load of washing on. If I do, I will have to tumble dry it. The washer-dryer is in the kitchen end of my apartment living room, and it makes a lot of noise. So, I am thinking of taking out the bath in my guest bathroom, leaving the loo and washbasin in there, and turning it into a laundry room. This would would also give me an extra cupboard in the kitchen. If you had £2000 to spend on your house, what would you do?

MadeInYorkshire Mon 13-May-19 09:46:14

I also would have the end wall of my kitchen removed and some double doors put in, but that would also require a radiator to be moved, so not cheap I suspect!

inishowen, oooh put some piccies up, I am sure between us we could come up with something? That is something I wish I had done actually, property renovation and interior design as I do tend to have some quirky ideas of things to do! (although don't have the skills myself for the DIY stuff, sadly ...) Can be very cheaply made over using Facebook by swapping your bits for updated but second hand pieces - do you know there are folk out there that actually change their sofas etc every year for new colours etc and their old ones they sell on for just a couple of hundred quid? Even painting your older pieces can give them a huge lift .... I have stack load of 'projects' I would like to do in my house when I feel well enough, one of which is doing something with my stairs as they are very boring!

nannyof4 Sat 11-May-19 23:26:58

I wouldnt do anything as my house has a utiilty room so could either leave washing on a clothes airer or put it on the washing line

travelsafar Sat 11-May-19 07:59:25

llizzie2 How scarey!!!!

llizzie2 Sat 11-May-19 03:22:12

I would install CCTV as I live in a house set back from the rest of the row at the end of a cul-de-sac with no house opposite houses, only a hedge and field with a next door neighbour whose damage and trespass on my property gets worse each year and the police say I have to have proof!

Would CCTV help though? Perhaps, when he came up behind me last year while I was in the garden so silently I did not realise he was there and he refused to move, he was testing to see if I had cameras installed. I had a new outside light fitted which doesn't work again. I am afraid of him. Would CCTV help or would he just cover his face?

instagran Fri 10-May-19 23:31:08

labassi - have you thought of asking your landlord if you could paint the. cupboards a lighter colour?
annarami - if you practically have to sell everything it is worth it for a Nile cruise. Imagine what it is like moving slowly past the odd felucca (Nile sailboat), looking out at rich green banks covered with palm trees and papyrus shrubs, watching people walking along with a donkey covered with bundles of sugar cane, and sweet little children laughing, playing in the glorious sunshine and waving at us? All this while lying on the floor of our cabin wearing very little, sunbathing and toasting each other with some splendid Egyptian wine (Cru des Ptolemies). Oh yes.

lmm6 Fri 10-May-19 22:21:24

Big sliding glass doors (not bifold) are much cheaper than you think. We’ve had huge ones put in our kitchen for around £4K. Fantastic- best thing we’ve ever done.

DoraMarr Fri 10-May-19 20:22:15

sparklygrandma mmmm a green velvet sofa!
No room for a separate tumble dryer, unless I take the bath out of the guest bathroom.

labazsisslowlygoingmad Fri 10-May-19 19:39:31

a lot wrong in our home but it is private rented. however id be prepared to spend 2 thousand on the kitchen which drives me barmy on a regular basis. a very 80s kitchen with little cupboard space and worst of all a carousel cupboard which i thought at first was posh but after trapping my fingers in it daily (not just me dp too) id give anything to rip that out for a proper cupboard. dark wood makes the kitchen depressingly dark too

jerseygirl Fri 10-May-19 19:24:52

new kitchen, definately!!!

floorflock Fri 10-May-19 18:05:38

I think I would like a new shed in the back garden and replace the radiator in the bedroom.

Saggi Fri 10-May-19 17:58:24

I would spend it on my garden ... not house. I do my own DIY ... as hubby never would/did/could!! It’s not that these men are content... it’s that theyre bone idle,

HurdyGurdy Fri 10-May-19 17:58:13

I'd have my downstairs loo revamped with some gorgeous outRAGEously expensive sparkly tiles I have my eye on. It's a tiny room, but the tiles would take up most of the budget!

BlueSapphire Fri 10-May-19 17:20:28

£2000 would just about cover re-doing the cloakroom. New loo and washbasin, carpet up and floor tiled, then redecorated. Just seems too much to organise on my own at the moment.

Annaram1 Fri 10-May-19 17:10:12

Greytin, what a lovely garden you have! And a beautiful dog too,

Greytin94 Fri 10-May-19 16:54:33

My garden with artificial grass. My husband had wanted it for ages, I didn’t especially for environmental reasons. However it was the best decision, we still have lots of wildlife visiting and there’s very little maintenance.

annsixty Fri 10-May-19 15:58:56

I really don't know where the warehouses came from!!!!

annsixty Fri 10-May-19 15:57:59

Now £20,000 is more like it.
I would have my warehouses dining room knocked through into the kitche.
Get rid of the mahogany furniture and make a lovely family room with a sofa under the window which I would have made into a bay.
As there is only me this is a bit (no, totally ) unnecessary but it would make a good selling point if I ever decide to move.
Not much change I think.

PamGeo Fri 10-May-19 15:43:55

Peardrop50 they look lovely and it's definately what I need, but if I had £2000 to spend on the house I'd have to get new carpets. It's good seeing the other wish lists and I'd be very very tempted to have a holiday which is as overdue as the carpets.

Annaram1 Fri 10-May-19 15:35:49

Ok, I booked it. Going to Egypt at the end of the month! Have no money left now. Might have to live on bread and water for 2 weeks!

SparklyGrandma Fri 10-May-19 15:21:23

A quieter tumble dryer on its own, in a space somewhere, DoraMarr ?

If I had £2k, it would be a new grey or dark green velvet sofa for me.

Peardrop50 Fri 10-May-19 14:25:00

annep1, shutters are not as expensive as you might think. I compared the cost of curtains and poles, weighed up the cost of cleaning curtains and went for the dust free, easy clean option. 10 large Georgian windows cost just under £3000 with a local blinds and shutters company. They're mdf but you wouldn't know. If I had a sudden £2000 windfall I'd put up a nice new greenhouse.

oldgimmer1 Fri 10-May-19 14:24:54

I've got a long, corridor type ground floor, with a conservatory tacked onto the back.

I'd put a velux in the kitchen roof and extend sideways by a couple of feet. It may cost a bit more than £2k, though.

It would make the conservatory less of a glass box at the end of the house and be less like living in a bloody train?

David1968 Fri 10-May-19 13:51:23

I'd spend it on the garden - am already thinking about having a small "wildlife friendly" pond installed, plus insect, hedgehog, and frog "housing". And some really good bird feeders which will thwart the pigeons!

grannytotwins Fri 10-May-19 13:46:48

I’d change my en-suite shower room into a wet room to future proof us I’d we suffer from disability later on. I’d also love to get rid of my bedroom carpet as it’s horrible.

DoraMarr Fri 10-May-19 13:43:19

phillipa I live in an apartment, so can’t dry outdoors. If fine, I open the balcony doors and put a wooden dryer there. As for noise, the building is so well insulated I don’t hear any noise from other apartments- I know the family next door have a little boy, but I never hear them.
Esmerelda, I would too -in fact the desire to take a holiday always trumps practical things!
I’m enjoying reading about others’ pipe dreams!