Gransnet forums

House and home

Addicted to the phone

(29 Posts)
MooM00 Sat 11-May-19 00:21:18

Hi, my sister lives on her own, her husband died 10years ago and her daughter died last November. She has 4 grown up boys and 11 grandchildren. All her sons live near her. I live 250 miles away. The trouble is she rings me every day starting in the morning and through out the day none stop which can add up to 20 times a day, also she wants me to call her at night. It is starting to make me angry. I have started to turn my mobile off and ignore some of the calls on my home phone. When I do answer some calls in the morning she can be on the phone for thirty minutes I ring off and within 10 seconds she is back on the phone. She says she is very lonely and just wants to talk to people. I have asked her to go to the doctors, see a therapist, get a voluntary job but she won't do anything I try to suggest. I try to be patient with her but it is really starting to drag me down.

moggie57 Mon 13-May-19 02:11:02

ask her sons to have a word with her about going to a councillor/bereavement or maybe a friend of hers. i would tell her that she can only phone twice a day providing she goes to see someone.......must be difficult for having lost her daughter .maybe her daughter called her a lot and she substituting her daughter for you. have a little compassion ..

Ginny42 Mon 13-May-19 03:40:24

I know how it feels just wanting someone to look after you. After my divorce at the age of 68, which was a very complex situation, I just broke down. I was grieving the total loss of the person I loved, my home, my job, his side of the family and the future I thought was mine. The sheer effort of getting out of bed was overwhelming. I needed someone to tell me what to do. I think your sister needs someone to point her in the direction of getting over her losses as it all feels too much for her.

It's a good idea to introduce her to GN. She can come on here when you and others are asleep. It's 3.32 and I'm awake and reading and responding to posts - so I don't feel entirely alone. I go along with the idea of going to stay if you possibly can to support her whilst she gets some help in place.

She needs you because you have known her for the longest time. She just doesn't want to feel so alone.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 13-May-19 16:37:12

I highly recommend the online organisation for your sister called WAY UP - for widows over the age of 50.

An opportunity to chat to people in the same situation, share thoughts and support each other.